Battle Sandboxie or a better alternative?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MalwareBeater

Thread author
Mar 12, 2013
Hi guys. I noticed on the Sandboxie forum that Sandboxie might be bypassed. Do you guys know if there are any good alternatives to Sandboxie? Thanks for any suggestions. I hope I posted this in the right place.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Don't be put off a "SBIE bypass", it's not that you'll commonly come into contact with malware that can bypass the software.

Reactions: Kent

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Sandboxie has been bypassed before and the developer promptly fixed the problem. Any security software can be bypassed as vulnerabilities are exploited but will probably will not find a better option for a sandboxing application then Sandboxie. It is in constant development, bugs, vulnerabilities and problems are fixed quickly.

Like Earth said, it is very rare to find malware that can bypass Sandboxie even if you are looking for it. The chance of you actually stumbling upon it is even more unlikely.

Thanks.:D

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Even those virtualization software like Shadow Defender, Toolwiz Time Freeze and others are also been bypassed by a test against 5 sophisticated threats like Rootkits.

Those Youtube reviews can be found at the "Community Review Section" here. As rare cases occur but its better that a software is tend to improved from its vulnerabilities.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
Someone should do a crazy, aggressive video test/review of Sandboxie soon. Let there be a huge malware pack released. 100 samples or more in total. Throw it under the bus and see what happens. That would be cool!

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
Amit, he asked for a better alternative not just a replacement.:D

Seriously, there is none. In the past, I seen other people ask the same question and is always the same, they are looking exactly for Sandboxie but elsewhere. That wont happen. If you want what SBIE does, you got to use Sandboxie. No alternative.

In my opinion, the only other program that does sandboxing as good as Sandboxie is Defense Wall. But Defense Wall does things differently than Sandboxie. So, MalwareBeater, there you have it, Defense Wall is it.

Bo

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
Umbra Corp. said:
the few malware that may bypass it are advanced rootkits like Sinewal and co

It hasn't happened yet Umbra. The gentleman from Poland said he would test SBIE against Sinewal.

We ll see what happens when the test is done. Remember, Sandboxie doesn't allow drivers to run or install. If this malware is a rootkit (I don't know if it is, you say is a rootkit), the chances of running in a sandbox or escaping the sandbox are about minus 0.

Bo

I

illumination

MalwareBeater said:
Hi guys. I noticed on the Sandboxie forum that Sandboxie might be bypassed. Do you guys know if there are any good alternatives to Sandboxie? Thanks for any suggestions. I hope I posted this in the right place.

That was an old thread in Sandboxie forum, from 2007. Version 3 of Sandboxie was effected by the exploit, but version 4 on up was immune from it. Tzuk does an excellent job of keeping Sandboxie tight, and listening to the members with concerns or finds. To my knowledge, nothing has been able to bypass Sandboxie since. There is always a chance something may be able to, as with all software, but it is very, very slim.

Now with this being said, personally, i would run other security with Sandboxie, as even the owner/creator advises at least an AV to be run along side it.

arsenaloyal

Level 3
Verified
Aug 6, 2012
Well i voted no,but if there is an alternative to sandboxie...can someone please tell me ?? ... or am i missing something ? Which is the other similar product(s) I am curious to know ?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
arsenaloyal: Bufferzone Pro is one of the alternatives for Sandboxie and its function are in the same way. Other application are known for software virtualization which covers all desktop like Shadow Defender, Toolwiz Time Freeze and others.

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
King Grub said:
http://blogbromium.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/blackhat-2013-sandbox-roulette_wp.pdf

The PDF you posted might be true about most sandboxes but not SBIE. Based on my personal experience using Sandboxie (over four years), I can tell you that nothing gets out of the sandbox unless the user allows it.

King Grub, before Sandboxie, I used to get infected once or twice a year. That cycle came to an end the day that I started using Sandboxie at the end of 2008. For me, clearly there is a before and after SBIE.

Also, based on reports by other people using SBIE, you dont see people that use SBIE reporting getting infected. It just doesnt happen. I mean, take a look at the SBIE forum, Do you see people reporting getting infected as you do in the Avira or any other antivirus forum? You just don't. Too me, that means more than the PDF you posted or anything written by another sandbox detractor.

Bo

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.