Not open for further replies.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Both companies are working on their 64bits version ...so soon security freaks everywhere will be able to enjoy virtualization on their upgraded OS :p

I've start testing again BufferZone Pro and I can just say it's awesome.
I love the fact that it will automatically run in the sandbox mode my browser and any unsigned installers.
[attachment=181]
The UI it's very friendly and I always know what programs are running the the bufferzone.

[attachment=182]

I can't find any reason why going back to Sandboxie....so maybe you can help me. :p

Trustware made "BufferZone Pro" free and now Sandboxie has a strong competition.The only problem that I can see for this two companies is the fact that more and more vendors are integrating into their suites sandboxing features.

Attachments

• buffer.png
    buffer.png
    89 KB · Views: 1,420
  • buffer2.png
    buffer2.png
    98.3 KB · Views: 1,240

Dejan

Mar 3, 2011
Well, Sandboxie is more of an "old school" sandbox for me, I use it usually for malware testing. I think BufferZone is much better for regular use, my option.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Jack said:
I love the fact that it will automatically run in the sandbox mode my browser and any unsigned installers.

Does it still have issues with Chromium based browsers? It used to have a bit of a bug where it would not put an outline around Chromium based browsers. To ensure it was sandboxed, you'd need to open BZP's GUI to see that it was listed there. I didn't like that. :(

LochNess

Apr 2, 2011
I've used SandboxIE for so long that it makes be 'a bit nervous' about even thinking about changing... I'm sure most of you understand... but of course, I'm always open to something better... but, SandboxIe is quite a hard act to follow... jmho

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
Sandboxie is one of those apps that does one thing but it does it really well without a flashy interface. The author permanently improves it and the compatibility with existing software (browsers, other security software) is really good. If you want to stick with the free version, you do have to use shortcuts to start your apps inside the sandbox. If all you need is to sandbox your browser and some other Internet facing apps, Sandboxie is all you need.

BufferZone has a nice interface and offers an easier way to protect all applications (you don't have to explicitly start apps in the sandbox). They are still working to ensure compatibility with existing software - Make sure you use something like LastPass and XMarks (or the built-in Sync) in your browser, deleting the sandbox (by default BufferZone will ask you to delete it after a period of time) will also remove your bookmarks and passwords. (post on their forum) No64 bit version as far as I know. With that being said, BufferZone can offer a better protection for all type of users.

MetalShaun

Level 1
Mar 3, 2011
That is a very good review, thanks for the link. Bufferzone really need to change their default setting with the amount of Malware with valid signatures about.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
JoeN said:
Sandboxie is better than BufferZone Pro :)
Proof: http://subsetlines.wordpress.com/vergleichstests/sandboxen/ :)
Cool share.
[attachment=223]
Seems like BufferZone failed because of this settings
bzautomatic.png

By default digitally signed program files are run outside the sandbox and that "Trojan.PWS.Gamania.29147" had a valid digital signature.So it was missed...the good part is that this can be avoided by simply changing the default settings...
Nevertheless +1 for Sandboxie:p

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    30.6 KB · Views: 1,314

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
JoeN said:
Sandboxie is better than BufferZone Pro :)
Proof: http://subsetlines.wordpress.com/vergleichstests/sandboxen/ :)
I like the results on the test. Sandboxie and DefenseWall are my
#1 and #2 sandboxing software's.
For me, BZ is not a close #3.

Bo

EMET

Apr 23, 2011
Sandboxie...even the free version lets you open Explorer sandboxed, which means that if you open any file or program it will also run sandboxed.

The paid version is just too tweakable to give up.
I especially like how you can completely lock down a sandbox so that only one program can run and/or access the internet. It's the ultimate blacklist.

Plus, the developer is constantly perfecting his creation.
I remember someone complaining that Comodo Dragon (the browser) wasn't supported within Sandboxie (you couldn't automatically fave/save your bookmarks to the un-sandboxed browser) and a few days later Tzuk released an update supporting Dragon.

He deserves to be supported.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.