Battle Sandboxie or Comodo Internet Security 6 sandbox?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ad18

Thread author
Verified
Jan 19, 2013
Hi guys. I was wondering if you guys thought that Sandboxie or the Comodo Internet Security 6 sandbox are better? It seems like that Sandboxie does not really work with Comodo Internet Security 6. If you guys think Sandboxie is better then could you recommend a good firewall. Thanks for any help guys.

D

Deleted member 178

Sandboxie is older, better developed and has more tweaking options than CIS (for now), if you are on Win7/8 Windows Firewall is enough.

ad18

Thread author
Verified
Jan 19, 2013
Umbra Corp. said:
Sandboxie is older, better developed and has more tweaking options than CIS (for now), if you are on Win7/8 Windows Firewall is enough.
Ok Thanks Umbra Corp.

P

Plexx

ad18 said:
Hi guys. I was wondering if you guys thought that Sandboxie or the Comodo Internet Security 6 sandbox are better? It seems like that Sandboxie does not really work with Comodo Internet Security 6. If you guys think Sandboxie is better then could you recommend a good firewall. Thanks for any help guys.

Back in December, there were incompatibility issues between Sandboxie and CIS 6. If I recall correctly it was mainly the flash player on web browsers. Not sure if it has been fixed as I do not use neither of them.

I do know that up to version 5.12 of CIS, no problems were visible between Sandboxie and Comodo. So if you are having problems, you could temporary revert to CIS 5.10/5.12.

As for the virtualization debate between Sandboxie and Comodo's Kiosk, Sandboxie has been around for longer, as Umbra said.

However, to be honest, I found it easier to use Comodo's Kiosk as opposed to Sandboxie.

Both provide adequate protection.

ad18

Thread author
Verified
Jan 19, 2013
That makes sense Biozfear. The Comodo sandbox is pretty secure and it is much more convenient. I might just stick with CIS 6 sandbox.

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
Hi ad18, I ll give you the best reason why you should build your security around Sandboxie. SBIE is a proven product and that takes time, years. If you go to the Sandboxie forum, you will NOT find people reporting getting infected. Take a guess why is that.

I don't know if Comodo is not getting along well with Sandboxie but you could try using CIS, disable the sandbox and use it along Sandboxie. If CIS conflicts with SBIE despite disabling the sandbox, find something else that runs well with SBIE.

Sandboxies protection is not "adequate" as mentioned by Biozfear, actually it is excellent and as good as you could expect from any security application.

Anyway, people who learn how to use Sandboxie properly don't get infected. You are lucky that you already know about Sandboxie, its up to you to make the wise decision of using it and if you do, you will become one of those users that visit the Sandboxie forum and don't get infected.

http://www.sandboxie.com/phpbb/ :cool:

Bo

Raul90

Level 14
Feb 5, 2012
HeffeD said:
Sandboxie is definitely more configurable.

Yes definitely I agree there :)

It's been 4 years of use for me for Sandboxie and it has grown on me so it's been a staple for all my systems including that of my siblings/friends. If your not a power user the free version will suit yo good. Learning curve is a bit long for me as I needed to ask and ask, visit some sites for tutorials etc. I do find it more configurable especially the paid version.

On one of my systems I have upgraded to CIS ver6. Still learning the ropes for the sandbox and kiosk. Seems to be a very good one but I can't comment on it yet as it's only been 2 weeks of use. Firefox/Iron opens a bit slower than SBIE. Can't assign folders to my prefs like SBIE but in time I think I will like the way it works. The CIS ver6 sandbox has been improved and it's still new. It will improve greatly in the next few builds(I hope). The CIS ver6 gui I find slow to respond though atop that you have to familiarize yourself with it as it is a new gui..shades of Kaspersky.

I hope customization tips/ideas will evolve here for the CIS sandbox and kiosk soon as it is very interesting to use.

Right now my vote still "is" for Sandboxie.

Payback

Verified
Jan 7, 2013
bo.elam said:
Hi ad18, I ll give you the best reason why you should build your security around Sandboxie. SBIE is a proven product and that takes time, years. If you go to the Sandboxie forum, you will NOT find people reporting getting infected. Take a guess why is that.

I don't know if Comodo is not getting along well with Sandboxie but you could try using CIS, disable the sandbox and use it along Sandboxie. If CIS conflicts with SBIE despite disabling the sandbox, find something else that runs well with SBIE.

Sandboxies protection is not "adequate" as mentioned by Biozfear, actually it is excellent and as good as you could expect from any security application.

Anyway, people who learn how to use Sandboxie properly don't get infected. You are lucky that you already know about Sandboxie, its up to you to make the wise decision of using it and if you do, you will become one of those users that visit the Sandboxie forum and don't get infected.

http://www.sandboxie.com/phpbb/ :cool:

Bo

Gotta agree with Bo,his post is totally right :yeahthat:

ad18

Thread author
Verified
Jan 19, 2013
Thanks for all the advice guys. It sound like Sandboxie might be the way to go. I looked in the Sandboxie forum and it sound like maybe I can use Sandboxie with CIS 6 if I use Firefox instead of Chrome. I will have to experiment with this.

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
Ad18, this old video might help you on your quest to learn about Sandboxie. Like I said, it is old but still pretty good to watch when you are learning about SBIE. Matt, the guy that made it was not familiar on how to use SBIE at the time but listen to what he says. I think he is right on the money the way he describes what you get out of using Sandboxie.

Watch part1 and 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GueXMq-Vyi8

Bo

ad18

Thread author
Verified
Jan 19, 2013
Thanks for the video link. I helped me to understand the purpose of sandboxing more. Sandboxie if pretty good. I just wish it would work with CIS 6.

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
ad18 said:
I just wish it would work with CIS 6.

As far as I know there is no conflict using CSI along SBIE. Have you tried using CSI with SBIE, disabling CISs sandbox?

Also, make sure Software compatibility is enabled in for Comodo. Check in Configure menu in Sandboxie.

Bo

ad18

Thread author
Verified
Jan 19, 2013
bo.elam said:
ad18 said:
I just wish it would work with CIS 6.

As far as I know there is no conflict using CSI along SBIE. Have you tried using CSI with SBIE, disabling CISs sandbox?

Also, make sure Software compatibility is enabled in for Comodo. Check in Configure menu in Sandboxie.

Bo
I will give it a try.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Comodo Virtual Kiosk is an integral part of Comodo Internet Security 6. To use the Virtual Kiosk, you need to have CIS installed.

CIS 6 supports Windows 8, remember to do a custom install to avoid installing GeekBuddy and Dragon (browser).

https://www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/free-internet-security.php

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Earth said:
Comodo Virtual Kiosk is an integral part of Comodo Internet Security 6. To use the Virtual Kiosk, you need to have CIS installed.

CIS 6 supports Windows 8, remember to do a custom install to avoid installing GeekBuddy and Dragon (browser).

https://www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/free-internet-security.php

Correct. It utilizes the manual sandbox in CIS. Without the sandbox, there would be no Kiosk.

Also note that upon the first run of the Kiosk, it will want to install Comodo Dragon and Silverlight. Dragon is only necessary because Comodo feels it is the most secure browser, and Silverlight is only necessary if you plan to use the "Metro" aspect of the Kiosk. (Webapps)

If you choose not to install either of these, Kiosk opens in "Classic Mode". Which is similar to your normal desktop. (Unless of course your desktop is the Metro interface of Windows 8...)

You can also invoke the Kiosk directly by just running the Kiosk.exe in the Comodo program folder.

ad18

Thread author
Verified
Jan 19, 2013
Hi HeffeD. Do you think the Comodo full virtualization sandbox is as secure as sandboxie. Have you tested the Comodo Kiosk? Thanks in advance for any info.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
As far as strictly the sandbox is concerned, it's likely superior to Sandboxie's virtualization. The developers feel it's the most advanced virtualized sandbox on the market. The lead developer mentioned why it's better than Sandboxie, but quite frankly, it went right over my head...

I still prefer to use Sandboxie for its configurability though.

No, I didn't do very intensive testing with the Kiosk, because it's not something that appeals to me.

ad18

Thread author
Verified
Jan 19, 2013
I am glad to know that the Comodo sandbox is as good security wise as Sandboxie. It sounds like Comodo tested it a long time before releasing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.