Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 17, 2015

Sandboxie-Plus v1.6.2 - Latest

https://github.com/sandboxie-plus/Sandboxie/releases/tag/v1.6.2

This build introduces a couple of quality-of-life improvements [...]

As far as I'm aware. DavidXanatos does not monitor MalwareTips.
Maybe, post over on Wilders - Sandboxie-Plus v1.6.2

Also for improved reliability you can check the downloads on the project homepage: Downloads | Sandboxie-Plus where only known good builds are posted about a week or two after the github release.

Sandboxie-Plus Migration Guide
This guide shows where all the known sandboxie functions can be found in the new UI.
sandboxie-docs/PlusMigrationGuide.md at main · sandboxie-plus/sandboxie-docs

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 97327

I tried Sandboxie a few months ago and I also had a paid Sandboxie when Ronan Tzur was developing it (it was in my Windows-XP sandbox period when I also had licenses of GeSWall and DefenseWall and wanted to support those innovative developers for a few bucks).

It looked that all the old paid features were free using the classic interface version. David Xanatos has further developed the features of the sandbox (like privacy enhanced sandbox, security enhanced sandbox and compatibility enhanced sandbox) which are only available after a certain donation (making these features payware).

I tested my favourite combo (Sandboxie with Firefox) and everything worked smoothly using the classic GUI. So when you want to try out Sandboxie for oldschool purposes (only sandboxing your internet facing applications), the free versions works well.

Last edited by a moderator:

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I tried Sandboxie a few months ago and I also had a paid Sandboxie when Ronan Tzur was developing it (it was in my Windows-XP sandbox period when I also had licenses of GeSWall and DefenseWall and wanted to support those innovative developers for a few bucks).

It looked that all the old paid features were free using the classic interface version. David Xanatos has further developed the features of the sandbox (like privacy enhanced sandbox, security enhanced sandbox and compatibility enhanced sandbox) which are only available after a certain donation (making these features payware).

I tested my favourite combo (Sandboxie with Firefox) and everything worked smoothly using the classic GUI. So when you want to try out Sandboxie for oldschool purposes (only sandboxing your internet facing applications), the free versions works well.
haha! I used DefenseWall too way_back. I bought a "small" cert before I saw your post, but I would have anyway as I like to support some of the one-man shops. I read folks are using sbie+ with both FF and Edge. I'll play with it later today. Thanks!!

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
I invested in a medium supporter's certificate, seeing as I do a little online banking now and then (thanks for jacking up my dumb-phone rates, ATT 🤬 ). Wasn't quite sure how secure an unpaid version was relative to the hardened ones so I opted to pay for SBIE.

If I didn't do some online financial stuff, I would prob. still be on the free version.

Your selection of box configurations in the paid version:

sbie presets.png

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Build 1.6.2b is up on the update server
[1.6.2b / 5.61.2] - 2022-12-21
source:
Sandboxie-Plus v1.6.2
I fell asleep last night and did not get around to installing Sandboxie-Plus-x64-v1.6.2. I plan to install v1.6.2 very soon. After I install it, does it check for updates and will it auto-install v1.6.2b, or do I have to manually download 2b, and if yes, I think I read that newer versions install over older versions, ie, you do not have to uninstall the older version first, correct?

EDIT: installed v1.6.2, then inserted my supporter certificate, but seeing some issues, ie, I think I have to tweak and bend to get sbie+ to work correctly with AppGuard AGv6.7. I get sbie+ popup errors
1409 templates.ini file cannot be opened [C00000022]
1409 configuration file error in line 37 [C00000022]

I do see that sbie+ alerts me to app updates, specifically v1.6.2b. I don't know the finer points of AG well enough at this point, to make the optimal AG tweaks, it seems to be more involved than just clicking a box in AG to exclude sbie+. AG does not like files in \user\appdata, \windows\sandboxie.ini, could be as easy as making sbie+ an AG power application, but see AG warning about doing this carefully and with knowledge what you are doing. Easy day turning into harder day...

EDIT2: I registered at xanasoft forum to post sbie+ question, I login ok, draft message, submit, and it bounces back to a login page with message "You need to login in order to post within this forum" and my brain cells go WTF! so I logged in again, and ditto. "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results, or not??" Twice is enough for me. sbie+ has been uninstalled with extreme prejudice. :censored:

Last edited:

bjm_

Level 14
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 17, 2015
3 updates in ~2 days...?? that's either very good or not sure what to make of that... :unsure:
Maybe, wait a few days (or longer) after any release for the dust to settle. Unless you have a specific issue addressed by a release. No need to be first in line. IMO

Last edited:

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
When he releases a new version occasionally someone will find a bug, he then corrects and releases a newer version.
ok, this was my first install of sbie in many years, and it was not a clean install, so I uninstalled it. I will try it again next week.

Victor M

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Oct 3, 2022
However, I applied Windows Defender App & Browser Control > Exploit Protections. Firefox and Chrome runs. Except under SandboxiePlus. All you need to do to add Windows Defender Exploit protection is to checkmark each item and then see if the program still runs. Do this one item at a time (there are only 22 protections to try and some of them are by default On.

Reactions: simmerskool

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.