May 17, 2015

Sandboxie + Release v0.7.5 / 5.49.8

https://github.com/sandboxie-plus/Sandboxie/releases/tag/0.7.5

Note: Latest release

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
@bjm_--here is a really short video. If an unsandboxed instance of Edge is already on the desktop, and you launch a sandboxed instance of Edge from the systray icon, this is what you get. Or, I get this and it occurs every time. Just a curiosity, is all. I'm wondering cuz I didn't see this behavior in the prior Sbie build.

bjm_

Level 14
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 17, 2015
@plat1098
I watched your video several times. I don't know how to setup my Edge to look like your Edge. You appear to be using vertical tabs, favorites bar and use New tab (customized) as home page. Your address bar buttons differ. Maybe, you run Edge Startup boost or Preload the new tab page or other settings differ. I imagine your Edge Services differ. I imagine your Appearance settings differ. I imagine your Edge System Settings differ. I don't know how to setup my Edge to look and behave like your Edge.
Maybe, Reset Edge and test reproduce.
Maybe, Google "microsoft edge closed unexpectedly"
for example:
There can be any number of reasons why this happened, the commonest of which is having a (minimized?) page still open when Windows closed down. You may also have the setting Continue running background apps when Microsoft Edge is closed selected at ⋯ (Settings and more) > Image Settings > System., but I don't know whether this would generate the message you're seeing.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftedge/forum/all/microsoft-edge-closed-unexpectedly-windows-10/01cb98ac-0f7a-4a21-a0c4-6c48790007be

Last edited:

bjm_

Level 14
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 17, 2015
@bjm_--here is a really short video. If an unsandboxed instance of Edge is already on the desktop, and you launch a sandboxed instance of Edge from the systray icon, this is what you get. Or, I get this and it occurs every time. Just a curiosity, is all. I'm wondering cuz I didn't see this behavior in the prior Sbie build.
as per unsandboxed instance of Edge is already on the desktop, and you launch a sandboxed instance of Edge from the systray icon DefaultBox > Run Web Browser.
I'm not (yet) reproducing as seen in video from Edge. I did however one-off generate from Chrome.
png_10784.png
browser setting? browser cache?
My daily rider browser flow usually does not invoke browser session unbox'd, then box'd.

Last edited:

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Thanks for checking, bjm_. I have the Invoke Delete command checked in the UI so the Default Box should be cleared every time Edge (or Firefox) is closed. The developer did mention he could reproduce some glitches inconsistently on his host test machine so this'll have to stay kind of in limbo.

Besides, I just reset Edge, it works fine in and out of the sandbox (thanks again (y)) and I don't want to upset the applecart there again. :rolleyes: That setting to keep background apps running while Edge is closed has always been toggled to OFF.

I'm thinking this falls into the "mysterious things that may or may not fix themselves someday because we sure as heck can't" category, until further notice. :)

bjm_

Level 14
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 17, 2015
Okay....Thanks
Curious, does your DefaultBox retain default box settings.
I mean, have you added any restrictions or changes to default box settings.
Running DefaultBox with restrictions &or changes away from default settings while retaining DefaultBox name....will confuse me. Caveat: I'm easily confused.
While my Sandboxie use is 99% browsing. I do run specific named boxes with box specific settings.
When I run DefaultBox for testing. DefaultBox means default settings.
Just me.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Yes, just the Delete Invocation. Nothing else. No leader programs, none of that. I don't do the "Drop Rights" either because for one thing, I'm not quite sure what ramifications that has and also that it interferes with many things like bookmarks opening and who knows what else. I used to run discrete boxes like you but now the Default box is sufficient--I'm not an advanced Sandboxie user anyway. Just a few clicks and the browser or WMP runs as usual 'boxed.

Love this Sbie revival--it's better than it's ever been, imo, at least since the Sophos times. :cool::whistle::coffee: Edit: I think it's hilarious the dev. is doing Twitter now. He was saying just a short while ago he's so introverted.

bjm_

Level 14
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 17, 2015
Yes, just the Delete Invocation. Nothing else. No leader programs, none of that. I don't do the "Drop Rights" either because for one thing, I'm not quite sure what ramifications that has and also that it interferes with many things like bookmarks opening and who knows what else
Yeah, I used to only run Drop Rights with Firefox box. Chrome did not like Drop Rights.
Now, for some time. I'm running Drop Rights with my Firefox, Chrome & Edge box's. Just me.
I usually run Sandboxie-Plus installer with Classic UI.
Yes, Sandboxie+ DavidXanatos has been good++ for Sandboxie users.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.