Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Original Story at
Report details how scammers are abusing App Store & Search Ads

scam.png

The post outlines that some “developers” are taking advantage of Apple’s in-app purchase feature, combined with App Store search ads, to game users into subscribing to illegitimate services. This includes apps such as virus scanners, password generators, and VPN apps.

I scrolled down the list in the Productivity category and saw apps from well-known companies like Dropbox, Evernote, and Microsoft. That was to be expected. But what’s this? The #10 Top Grossing Productivity app (as of June 7th, 2017) was an app called “Mobile protection :Clean & Security VPN”.

“Full Virus, Malware scanner”: What? I’m pretty sure it’s impossible for any app to scan my iPhone for viruses or malware, since third party apps are sandboxed to their own data, but let’s keep reading…

“You will pay $99.99 for a 7-day subscription”

Buried on the third line in a paragraph of text in small font, iOS casually tells me that laying my finger on the home button means I agree to start a $100 subscription.​

The app in question, according to Sensor Tower data, brings in around $80,000 per month in revenue, despite the fact that it offers users essentially no services and makes that money by scamming them into subscription service.

In as few words as possible, here’s what these developers are doing:
  1. Offering apps such as virus scanners and password managers
  2. Free download with in-app purchase for outrageously expensive prices
  3. Gaming search ads to be at the top of common search queries such as “virus scanner”
  4. Offering users virus scanning services for $99/week
  5. Profit $80,000 per month or $960,000 per year for seemingly doing nothing

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.