Advice Request Scareware leads to 360 Mobile Security?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I use generally browse using Chrome on Android, but sometimes you come across these fake "Your Android device is infected with ... viruses".

Why is it that tapping OK opens the Google Play Store to 360 Mobile Security. Are you trying to tell me Qihoo are involved with these webpages to scare Android users into using their App?

upload_2016-7-13_23-40-10.png

On Windows PC with Avast Antivirus.

upload_2016-7-13_23-58-2.png

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I've noticed way back before and still occurs until now.

Two possibilities:

1) Either Qihoo as an advertising company manage to expand to all websites however cannot control which are trusted or not.
2) The advertisers may conduct a random based search through keystrokes that are common searches on mobile.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
I use generally browse using Chrome on Android, but sometimes you come across these fake "Your Android device is infected with ... viruses".

Why is it that tapping OK opens the Google Play Store to 360 Mobile Security. Are you trying to tell me Qihoo are involved with these webpages to scare Android users into using their App?

View attachment 108511

View attachment 108515
I've also reported this unfair and unethical practice. This is happening for months now, and my brother did actually install their crappy app as he did believe that the smartphone was infected.
To be noted that that apart from this flashy message with misleading information, they will also use the vibrate function to "scare" the user.
This is one of the main reasons I do not trust Qihoo. If it were Avast, Kaspersky or any other known company showing this type of ads everyone would be outraged but somehow they manage to pull it off.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Are you trying to tell me Qihoo are involved with these webpages to scare Android users into using their App?
If you would ask Qihoo, they will tell you that some shady adverting networks are responsible for this spam and they are just hearing about it. But I'm sure that Qihoo gets a ton of traffic from these pop-ups, which is showing in their analytics charts. Just by allowing them to advertise in such a manner, they are accomplices.
Screenshot_20160714-071420.png Screenshot_20160714-071452.png Screenshot_20160714-071500.png

Solarlynx

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 30, 2012
I'm writing the following with due respect to Chinese people. My negative opinion is directed only to Chinese companies practices.

I read many times about shadow practices of different Chinese AV companies: Baidu, Qihoo, Cheetah... . They offer good free progs but their unethical approach revert from using their products.

Those who use their progs shouldn't be scared though. It doesn't necessary mean that they will be imminently somehow victimized.

For instance Qihoo in their privacy policy which is applicable to all their products blatantly write
we may collect the following "Personal User Information":
  • Contact Information (including name, address, email address, business address, telephone and fax number)
  • Personal Details (including birth date, race, gender, sexual orientation, ID card number and social security number)
  • Internet Access and Use Information (including social network account user names, contacts, chat logs, email messages, search history and web browsing history)
  • Payment Information (including payment card bank account numbers or passwords, credit card statements, or transaction histories)
  • Transaction Information (including your purchase history and data relating to use of Services and Software provided by 360)
  • Correspondence (including any information you provided or were provided through 360 related communication channels, including technical support and customer service)
Actually do they really need all that sensitive info for their AV to work?

Last edited:
L

LabZero

This is one of the main reasons I do not trust Qihoo. If it were Avast, Kaspersky or any other known company showing this type of ads everyone would be outraged but somehow they manage to pull it off.
SCAM is a fraud perpetrated with the methods of social engineering (Wikipedia), which is based on our need, in the specific case, the need to protect our device from potential threats.

In the world, as in the web, there are people who try to take advantage of our needs to place their products and to induce us to choose the best way ... for them.
Considering the sudden (false) alarm and the activation of the vibration, someone may be at risk of un infarct.:p
My question is: who can believe in companies that use certain methods to advertise their products?
This is counterproductive and short sighted because it damages the (poor) reputation of the company.

I remember Virus Shield rogue who used similar techniques to induce the user to download it...
Today, it is the same.

The #1 New Paid App In The Play Store Costs $4, Has Over 10,000 Downloads, A 4.7-Star Rating... And It's A Total Scam [Updated]

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I have seen similar for DU Battery Booster and other highly popular apps, never seen anything like for Norton, Kaspersky or Avira. It makes me suspect that these vendors "Like" these rogue operators, or are working with them behind the scene.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@Solarlynx: Well in Wikipedia, Qihoo is an advertising company as mentioned however in the website it does not show directly.

So of course you will be the one to judge, how privacy for you is really concern.

That declared policy is still in the standard measures, usually below the belt conditions are PIN numbers and even Bank Transaction history.

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012

View attachment 108511

View attachment 108515
One of my friend got this kind of message and the mobile stopped working after that. The software had to be reloaded but after that also its not recognising the sim cards. I know that malwares can't destroy hardware but it has done some kind of bad deep inside that the repair shop is not able to detect, or may actually be a coincident.

Reactions: Solarlynx

Solarlynx

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 30, 2012
@Solarlynx: Well in Wikipedia, Qihoo is an advertising company as mentioned however in the website it does not show directly.

So of course you will be the one to judge, how privacy for you is really concern.

That declared policy is still in the standard measures, usually below the belt conditions are PIN numbers and even Bank Transaction history.

Thank you.

I checked Wikipedia and there they are mentioned as a software developer company. Though it doesn't much matter.

I'm not so aware in these privacy issues. Could you explain me if is it okay to declare they can take your passwords? They say it without any specifying conditions. It looks rather suspicious. I never met such clauses in other privacy statements. I think it's not over paranoid to worry that someone declares they can use your passwords.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@Solarlynx: A mixed up view, the logic for collection of password will make the operation easier due to automated response.

And also, they have no right to view or check the crucial information; which already standard basis to any privacy policy of a company.

However for sure a lot of conspiracy theory will occur; so better stay away if you think that will lead to privacy problems.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
When I starting using Windows again a few day's ago I installed Q360 alongside Comodo firewall. Then I found out about MS cutting features in Win 10 pro so I installed Win 10 Enterprise, Since the reinstall today I've decided that, for now I'll just be using Windows defender and Windows Firewall along with UAC set to maximum and smartscreen filter enabled. I'm going to stick to this setup for a while, I'm an experienced and sensible user and I'd be just fine with Windows Defender I just enjoy trying out other security software. However, I will never be using Q360 again after what I've read here and elsewhere today.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Yesterday I tried Cheetah Mobile AppLock Antivirus, lots of features but contains Ads that opens your default browser / tabs.

You guessed it, Chrome was vibrating on a fake facebook survey page - only AFTER I had Cheetah Mobile installed on Android.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.