Scheduled Scans by your Real-time AV

Do you allow scheduled scans?

• Yes, (and why?)

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • No, (and why?)

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • No, only irregular manual scans (and why?)

Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Topic: Do you allow your real-time antivirus or anti-malware to run scheduled scans?

If your PC is being actively protected by your Antivirus, then is there a need for a automatic or manually-set scheduled scan.

This does not include a one-off manual scan for a custom location, because it's not scheduled to run at a certain time of day, or month.

Any malicious activity would be caught upon execution or others means of detecting a threat.

Let me know your insight about them.
For example:
- Do you disable scheduled scans?
- Why you think they're needed or not? Should AV Vendors remove them.
- Do they have any benefits, are they a waste of resources
- etc.

rupeshkj

Level 7
Verified
Oct 31, 2013
1) Enable scheduled scan at week end!(quick scan)
2) It be good to scan a system for malware once a while
3) Its may have benefits for the normal user who may not know if this pc is infected
4) I am using F-Secure IS 2014 and i disabled it but use hitman pro to scan some time

Note: Real Time protection is good but if you are not upto date then a malware can enter and in the scheduled scan it can be caught

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
I am using Panda Cloud AV, no schedule scan option/feature. With MBAM on demand I run a weekly scan in case something gets by Panda. So far nothing has.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
@rupeshjoshi62,
Are you sure? How will a schedule scan detect any threats, if the virus defs are not the latest. Does not make the scheduled scan ineffective.

@aztony,
If Panda offered scheduled scans would you use it? And why?

(I remembered to add a Poll) - Trying to find out if scheduled scan have any benefits.

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
Earth said:
@aztony,
If Panda offered scheduled scans would you use it? And why?

(I remembered to add a Poll) - Trying to find out if scheduled scan have any benefits.
I probably would. Like President Reagan once said, 'trust, but verify.' MBAM doesn't offer a schedule scan option either, but I set one up thru task scheduler.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
MV, you're using an on-demand AV?

I'm not sure I've explained the topic well.. nevermind.

MalwareVirus

Level 1
Oct 6, 2012
"I'm not sure I've explained the topic well"
yes you are right but i am jealous when i saw people talking about real time :D

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Scheduled scans are a waste of time, your real-time scanner will detect anything trying to load into your system's memory.

Anything else detect by on-demand scans will be inactive or false positives.

Thanks. :D

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
Scheduled scans always happen at the worst time, so I never enable them

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
Overkill said:
Scheduled scans always happen at the worst time, so I never enable them
I am confused. A scheduled scan is one that you set for a time that is most convenient for you. (at least that's how it is for me) Are you saying that you schedule your scans to execute at the worst time for you?

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
Yea, but it never seems to work out that way for me...I'm always in the middle of something like say burning or have a bunch of stuff going at the same time and the scan usually slows things down when it starts, so I just scan manually.

Viking

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 2, 2011
I never schedule scans as real time scanning will pick up anything way before a manual scan will. I only do a full manual scan about once a fortnight.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.