Troubleshoot Scrolling isn't smooth at all

Pearl96

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Jan 14, 2017
Hello! Scrolling in Windows 10 is really annoying and laggy. I have the latest driver of my touch pad. The problem exists when using the touchpad and external mouse. Is it the default settings of windows 10 or I have sth wrong?

Hello! Scrolling in Windows 10 is really annoying and laggy. I have the latest driver of my touch pad. The problem exists when using the touchpad and external mouse. Is it the default settings of windows 10 or I have sth wrong?

Is the srolling bad in only browsers or in all applications - like Notepad, Wordpad, office suite, etc ?

Reactions: brambedkar59
Upvote 0

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
I note you said it happens in "chrome/firefox/vivaldi" so that rules out a specific browser. Do other computers on your network have the same problem?

When did the problem start?

Have you scanned for malware?

Upvote 0

Pearl96

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Jan 14, 2017
I note you said it happens in "chrome/firefox/vivaldi" so that rules out a specific browser. Do other computers on your network have the same problem?

When did the problem start?

Have you scanned for malware?

After further research I noticed that a new touchpad driver version was installed through windows update ( I installed the drivers from my Acer account "Acer Aspire E5-573-37HY" ) this might be the reason. Also my laptop is malware-free. I am using Eset 10 scanned by EEK and Zemana, so I don't think it's malware infection. I have changed the number of scrolled lines and now scrolling is somewhat better.
Capture.PNG

Thank you very much for you reply

Upvote 0

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
The only thing is that scrolling setting affects more than just web pages. For example, it would also affect scrolling through a very large Word document or Excel spreadsheet. The difference is scrolling those documents requires reading from the disk while scrolling webpages requires downloading Internet data, as well as disk access as those web pages are cached. Just something to chew on.

Upvote 0

Pearl96

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Jan 14, 2017
The only thing is that scrolling setting affects more than just web pages. For example, it would also affect scrolling through a very large Word document or Excel spreadsheet. The difference is scrolling those documents requires reading from the disk while scrolling webpages requires downloading Internet data, as well as disk access as those web pages are cached. Just something to chew on.

Today I've purchased Auslogics Disk Defrag ( Few hours ago ) and I have done all the recommendations and I can say there is a huge improvement in scrolling speed. I'll use the laptop more extesively and see if the issue is solved. Thank you

Upvote 0

Pearl96

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Jan 14, 2017
Can you use without the Acer Touchpad drivers?

Without Acer touchpad driver, the scrolling and moving crusor is very slow! Acer's drivers are from 2015, so WIndows install newer version that might not be fully compatible with my hardware ( I think )

Upvote 0

Pearl96

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Jan 14, 2017
:(
That was a total waste of money. I recommend you return it immediately. You don't need it. W10 automatically defrags your hard drives already. 3rd party defraggers are rip offs.

I have optimized disk using windows defreagmentation tool but I did not notice any difference in terms of performance. Auslogics, on the other hand, does optimze undefragmented files and offers boot defragementaion alongside registry defragmentation. I noticed improvement in performance after using Auslogics! Also I have got a huge discount 70% so it is a reasonable price. What do u think ?

Reactions: Rengar
Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Upvote 0

Pearl96

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Jan 14, 2017
Your laptop should support Windows 10
Windows 10 Upgrade

Check these options out for Chrome, How to Enable Smooth Scrolling Feature in Google Chrome? - AskVG
I am running windows 10 Education 64 bit and I have downloaded the latest drivers from Acer website. I'll have a look at the link you provided and see if it makes things better. Thank you in advance!

Update: I have read the article and enabled smooth scrolling in Chrome but this made things worse. Anyway, increasing the number of scolled lines really helped but the lag still exists but I can bear it. Thank you for your help and for paying attention to my issue :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
It has not been shown that 3rd party defraggers are anything but a waste of many. Maybe not with XP and tiny disks that are running low on disk space, but W10 is not XP and most computers today have very large drives with lots of free disk space. And if low on disk space, it is better not to clutter them up with 3rd party apps that take up more disk space anyway. Any solution except buying more disk space will be temporary.
It is more likely what you noticed was due to the placebo effect. It should be noted that literally the second you start to use your computer after defragging, fragmentation starts all over again, so any advantage a 3rd party tool provided is quickly negated.

@ Spawn - unless I read his first post wrong, he is using W10.

Upvote 0

Pearl96

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Jan 14, 2017
It has not been shown that 3rd party defraggers are anything but a waste of many. Maybe not with XP and tiny disks that are running low on disk space, but W10 is not XP and most computers today have very large drives with lots of free disk space. And if low on disk space, it is better not to clutter them up with 3rd party apps that take up more disk space anyway. Any solution except buying more disk space will be temporary.
It is more likely what you noticed was due to the placebo effect. It should be noted that literally the second you start to use your computer after defragging, fragmentation starts all over again, so any advantage a 3rd party tool provided is quickly negated.

@ Spawn - unless I read his first post wrong, he is using W10.

I see the auto defragementation in Auslogics really useful as it gets rid of fragementation in real time. Moreover, Auslogics's tool is faster than windows built-in tool.

Upvote 0

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
I see the auto defragementation in Auslogics really useful as it gets rid of fragementation in real time. Moreover, Auslogics's tool is faster than windows built-in tool.
That would be fine if it was needed. But again, you don't need real-time defragging. That is Auslogics marketing hype - nothing more. If more frequent defragging was needed, Microsoft would have scheduled automatic defragging to daily or even hourly. Instead, by default, it is just once a week, if needed. The rest of the time, the feature is not sitting there wasting RAM, CPU cycles and disk resources. And since Windows defragging is scheduled to run when the computer is not otherwise being used, who cares if it not as quick? It just does not matter.

I am NOT saying Auslogics is a bad program. I am just saying you don't need it. Window - especially Windows 10, knows how to manage its disks just fine.

Years ago, regular defragging was needed because hard drives were much slower and smaller and had tiny buffers too. But that is not the case today. Today's hard drives are much faster, much larger, and most have at least 8MB buffer, many have 32MB and even 64MB. Now I understand nobody wants to hear they wasted their money on something they don't need. I get that and I am sorry. But the facts remain the same. Windows 10 (and W7 and W8 too) has a fully capable defragger already built in that works just fine as is.

@ Spawn - I thought you were showing that he could install W10 on his system. Sorry if I caused confusion.

Upvote 0

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Which model is your laptop? Or, at least, can you give us some basic hardware information about it? (RAM, GPU, CPU)

If you are running low-end hardware, it is highly possible that your PC is unable to handle the "smooth scroll" feature of browsers.

Try turning "hardware acceleration" in your browsers on/off to see if that makes any difference.

As far as I know, smooth-scrolling is enabled in Chrome by default and can only by changed by modifying its related object in chrome://flags.

Upvote 0

Pearl96

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Jan 14, 2017
Now
Which model is your laptop? Or, at least, can you give us some basic hardware information about it? (RAM, GPU, CPU)

If you are running low-end hardware, it is highly possible that your PC is unable to handle the "smooth scroll" feature of browsers.

Try turning "hardware acceleration" in your browsers on/off to see if that makes any difference.

As far as I know, smooth-scrolling is enabled in Chrome by default and can only by changed by modifying its related object in chrome://flags.
Thank you. My laptop is Acer Aspire E5-573-37HY Core i3 4005U and 4 GB ram

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.