SE Labs Home Anti-Malware Protection - January - March 2019

Disclaimer
  1. This test shows how an antivirus behaves with certain threats, in a specific environment and under certain conditions.
    We encourage you to compare these results with others and take informed decisions on what security products to use.
    Before buying an antivirus you should consider factors such as price, ease of use, compatibility, and support. Installing a free trial version allows an antivirus to be tested in everyday use before purchase.

alakazam

Level 9
Verified
Mar 25, 2014
This is the second test only. The K7 participates in SE Labs tests (Consumers category) from December 2018.
Paradoxically, the vendor of AV that scores not well has more advantage from such tests, than other vendors. The failure can be a hint on how to improve the product. This was the way of Windows Defender, which was the second last a year ago.
So if someone were to have the K7 Computing security suite installed on their PC with a licence for 1 year, should they keep it, or should they remove it and install a free antivirus like Avira?

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy Ful

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
So if someone were to have the K7 Computing security suite installed on their PC with a licence for 1 years, should they keep it, or should they remove it and install a free antivirus like Avira?
I am not sure if your question is well posed. Why should one choose the AV on the base of a single particular test?
Furthermore, it can depend on many factors. For example, If the user has the computer with Windows 10, then the first factor is closely related to the following question:
Why did someone choose to install K7, instead of Windows Defender which was already installed on the computer? There can be several interesting answers to this question.

They should have a disclaimer. “For entertainment purposes only”. :ROFLMAO:
They put another one:
"This test report was funded by post-test consultation services provided by SE Labs to security vendors. Vendors of all products included in this report were able to request early access to results and the ability to dispute details for free."

For me, it means that the primary customers of this report were AV vendors. The report was not prepared to help people with choosing the best AV. :giggle:(y)

alakazam

Level 9
Verified
Mar 25, 2014
Why did someone choose to install K7, instead of Windows Defender which was already installed on the computer? There can be several interesting answers to this question.
Hypothetical question. Maybe it came installed when they bought the PC. Maybe they got the PC as a gift from their boss, who is an Indian and supports Indian antivirus companies.

Should they use K7 until the license expires, or should they replace it with a free antivirus?

Reactions: roger_m

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
They put another one:
"This test report was funded by post-test consultation services provided by SE Labs to security vendors. Vendors of all products included in this report were able to request early access to results and the ability to dispute details for free."

For me, it means that the primary customers of this report were AV vendors. The report was not prepared to help people with choosing the best AV. :giggle:(y)

It’s a good disclaimer already . I actually enjoy looking at these reports for 5 minutes. They’ll be a good indicator for if a product goes way down hill. Otherwise it’s kinda fun. Hopefully these tests are useful to the vendors for improving. Seemed to work for WD.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Hypothetical question. Maybe it came installed when they bought the PC. Maybe they got the PC as a gift from their boss, who is an Indian and supports Indian antivirus companies.

Should they use K7 until the license expires, or should they replace it with a free antivirus?
Is your question related to the results of this particular SE Labs test, or just you ask me for my general opinion?

It’s a good disclaimer already . I actually enjoy looking at these reports for 5 minutes. They’ll be a good indicator for if a product goes way down hill. Otherwise it’s kinda fun. Hopefully these tests are useful to the vendors for improving. Seemed to work for WD.
I replied because it seems that we try to use the surgical scalpel to apply the butter on the bread, and then complain that it is not especially useful.:giggle:
It can be useful for surgeons, I think. (y)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.