SE Labs Report for Oct-Dec 2020

Disclaimer
  1. This test shows how an antivirus behaves with certain threats, in a specific environment and under certain conditions.
    We encourage you to compare these results with others and take informed decisions on what security products to use.
    Before buying an antivirus you should consider factors such as price, ease of use, compatibility, and support. Installing a free trial version allows an antivirus to be tested in everyday use before purchase.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Microsoft Defender Antivirus (consumer)
This means they don't test any advanced Defender settings.
Even if the results are awesome:

1609286194447.png 1609286404948.png

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
There may be some reason but don't get their reasons for testing full (pay) solutions like KIS again free AVG etc? Either test free/free or pay/pay as possible?
I believe it is the software company that determines what version is tested.
Avast/AVG are confident enough in their free offering to test it against the paid suites.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
It's like advertising for them.
See how good our free offering is.
Then when you install their free offering you get popups/ads for their paid products.
You can get even more protection when you pay.
Also, all those free users are giving them telemetry data.
More users mean more data and in the best-case scenario that will lead to better protection.
It's more or less the same for all free offerings.
You pay with your data.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
SE Labs's Protection Accuracy vs Total Accuracy always looks misleading at first glance. But I appreciate that they provide details on how/at what stage threats were detected.
This is the main and most important chart of any SE Lab test.
1.PNG

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
It's like advertising for them.
See how good our free offering is.
Then when you install their free offering you get popups/ads for their paid products.
You can get even more protection when you pay.
Also, all those free users are giving them telemetry data.
More users mean more data and in the best-case scenario that will lead to better protection.
It's more or less the same for all free offerings.
You pay with your data.
I've never used a free AV/suite, in 20 odd years I don't want to be the product :):)

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I've never used a free AV/suite, in 20 odd years I don't want to be the product :):)
Well I think in roughly the same amount of time I have used almost all products free or paid, so everybody should now be able to protect my data :D
These days with Microsoft Defender Antivirus I find it hard to justify (to my other half) paying for a full suite.
There are always parts I won't use or do not like.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Is it guaranteed that the paid products do not collect the same amounts, or even more, of data?
The best test for this was done in 2014 (unfortunately nothing more recent) by AV-Comparatives:
Data transmission in Internet security products
We have released a study of data transmission in Internet security products. Many Internet users are concerned about who has access to their personal information and what is done with it. After revelations by Edward Snowden regarding the extent of eavesdropping by the US-American NSA, users have become increasingly aware of privacy issues. Computer security software has legitimate grounds for sending its makers some information about the system it’s running on; in particular, details of malware found on the machine have to be sent to the manufacturer in order to protect the user effectively. however, this does not mean that a program should have carte blanche to send any and all personal information found on a computer to the manufacturer (other than with the specific knowledge and agreement of the system’s owner). This report gives some insight into data-sending by popular security programs.

Clearly, antivirus manufacturers have to comply with the laws of the countries in which they are established. In the event of e.g. a court order requiring the vendor to provide information about a customer, the company has no choice but to do this. However, this should be the only reason for providing user data to a third party. Some companies do not state that they will only pass on customer information in such circumstances.

This report was initially requested and commissioned by PCgo and PC Magazin Germany.

http://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/avc_datasending_2014_en.pdf
https://www.av-comparatives.org/data-transmission-in-internet-security-products/

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Is it guaranteed that the paid products do not collect the same amounts, or even more, of data?
There are few guarantees in life, life being the primary one - I feel that paying for AV may give you less transmission of private data (& I dislike ad's on free AV) but who knows? Emsisoft as an example seems to adhere to privacy? In the big scheme of things & my family paying out for an AV / or any software is a miscue part of it, It's unlikely that I have to justify to myself or anyone for items I buy either physical or otherwise. Life just isn't long enough to contemplate whether I want to spend a few pounds here & there? Just my view? I tend to buy within budget what I wish - Others may feel very differently & that's their opinion.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.