App Review Second opinion scanners - Detection test (TestMyAV's samples) - Part 2

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Thanks to Evjl's Rain for his great efforts!
I have one thought that I want to share with community. IMHO, most of modern AV-scanners install their own drivers (at least until rebooting) which may lock files and interfere with the removal process. This could skew the results of your testing. So, it wasn't good idea to start all AV-scanners at the same time. To be sure, I would have to restart the computer before each test.
is it really necessary when I created separate folders for each AVs? They might have interfered with files within the same folder but I don't think they could have interfered with files in different folders
you comment is interesting. I have no idea about it

Dmitry_rus

Level 1
Feb 13, 2017
If all of your scanners were just "scanner-on-demand" (i.e. no permanent resident protection) and you've created separate folders for each AVs - it sounds good. In this case, the probability of interference is practically absent. BTW, SAP looks interesting. If it has 12 engines, probability of FPs should increase. Assume that we have 1% of FP for each engine. So, in 99% the engine works OK. What is the reliability of the whole 12-engines system? 0.99^12=0.886=88.6%. 100-88=12% theoretically might be FP.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.