SecPod

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Smith83

Thread author
Any of you guys heard of this? Any good?

A free vulnerability scanner and compliance scanner with remediation.

SecPod Saner is a light-weight, easy to use, enterprise-grade security solution for proactively assessing and securing your personal computer. It identifies security loopholes, misconfigurations and remediates to ensure systems remain secure.

http://www.secpod.com/download.html

Reactions: Piteko21

Piteko21

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 13, 2014
I definitely recommend it, already updated two pcs and comes without adware and crapware, plus do what he commits, simple, cleanand effective.
I liked:)

Reactions: Smith83
S

Smith83

Thread author
Thanks for review of it, now to test on my grandmas computer..... :eek:

Victor Pinamonti

Apr 23, 2015
So here is what it is and what it isn't. I saw this question in an Archived post, but couldn't respond there and thought it might be relevant here.

Full disclosure, I work for SecPod, but I am not intending for this to be a commercial, just an explanation. Although I am generally a positive person I am going to start out with the negative first - What it isn't, since it would be relevant for this forum. Saner Personal, at this point in time, is not an Anti-Malware software or Anti-Virus software. Although the old website could lead you to believe it since there were plans, the new website talks about what it will do today. Please do not uninstall your Anti-Virus or Anti-Malware software because you install Saner Personal.

What it is - It is an SCAP based scanner and remediator. Saner Personal hooks into the SecPod SCAP service and then looks at several databases of known vulnerabilities, configuration based vulnerabilities, and looks at some compliance based issues as well. As a side note, SecPod actually has some folks that go look for these issues and contribute to the worldwide databases. Saner first scans your machine typically in about five to ten minutes for an initial scan. The more software you have loaded the more software it needs to check. Then it comes back with a report of the issues with a criticality level in the interface and then offers to remediate the issues with a "fix" button. You can look at the actual database entry for the issue. Keep in mind I am not an SCAP, Open-VAS, CVE, etc. expert, yet :). So the database entry is interesting to me, but I don't necessarily understand everything in it.

The idea behind Saner is to plug vulnerabilites so that if you ever run into something that isn't caught by your Anti-Virus or Anti-Malware products the end point becomes like Teflon and the Virus or Malware or actual bad guy has nothing to stick to, to execute the attack. I saw a comment that there is no privacy policy, and didn't see one today, but there are no plans to use any information that you use to register to offer to telemarketers, spammers, etc. SecPod is a private company and takes these things seriously. I will talk to the CEO and see if we can put something up. The folks involved have a good reputation in the industry and will maintain that.

So yes the product is a scanner, but it does not go look at/for personal information, data, files, etc. If you are familiar with SCAP services then you would be pretty familiar with what Saner looks for. It looks at software versions and software configurations and maps it to a patch or a remediation solution. In some respects it is a patch management solution, however it doesn't go patch something just because there is a new version out, it patches something because it recognizes that there is some issue in the version you have loaded.

I have run into a very few issues that Saner can not fix "automagically", even though initially it presents a "fix" button. An explanation of the issue is given in the interface as well as a link to the database entry so that if that ends up being the case you can look at it and do whatever it is that you want to do to try to fix it on your own. The ones I have seen have all been compliance issues. For example, on one of my new Windows 8.1 machines I didn't have the screen saver turned on. I turned it on, set a timer, set it to go to my logon screen when it exits the screen saver and that fixed the five issues.

Saner Personal is free and there are no plans to change that. Again I hope this was informative as opposed to being a commercial.

Reactions: jamescv7
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.