Advice Request Secure Antivirus 360 - Found on Cnet

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
It is just a UI with a word "Scanning your PC.. please wait!"
Try eicar test :D

I don`t have the time or I would test it, for kicks.

Any typo`s found on it yet ? That used to be a good indicator of fakeness back in the day.

It might even make on to Lavasoft`s rogues gallery ?

Regards Eck:)

Reactions: AtlBo and SHvFl

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Notice anything similar with this product? I found this product a few months back and I couldn't remember the name, but I recognised the UI layout... So I booted into the VM and used a snapshot to find the product:
Could be the same. If you check the install/update log of Secure AV 360, you'll see a similar URL.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I just installed this, and confirm it the same as Shield Antivirus, but with a different UI. It's using Avira definitions, so it's not a fake antivirus. I was not able to run a scan becuase it said my trial had expired. I installed Shield Antivirus as well, but had the same issue. However, it's quite possible that I have tried this, Shield Antivirus or another rebrand sometime in the last 18 months, since I did a clean install of Windows.

It's worth noting that it's very rare to encounter fake antiviruses anymore. Unknown antivirus are usually using Bitdefender's signatures, or occasionally Avira. Also, I should point out too that amongst any PUPs or other unwanted software these days, there are virtually no "fakes". In pretty much all cases, if you register the software you get a full working version (even though often such software is not worth buying).

W

Wave

I just installed this, and confirm it the same as Shield Antivirus, but with a different UI. It's using Avira definitions, so it's not a fake antivirus. I was not able to run a scan becuase it said my trial had expired. I installed Shield Antivirus as well, but had the same issue. However, it's quite possible that I have tried this, Shield Antivirus or another rebrand sometime in the last 18 months, since I did a clean install of Windows.

It's worth noting that it's very rare to encounter fake antiviruses anymore. Unknown antivirus are usually using Bitdefender's signatures, or occasionally Avira. Also, I should point out too that amongst any PUPs or other unwanted software these days, there are virtually no "fakes". In pretty much all cases, if you register the software you get a full working version (even though often such software is not worth buying).
I'm not even going to try and believe you just said this but let's both agree to disagree and leave it at that... I can't even tell if you are a troll or are genuinely being serious.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Is it me or Vaklyrie human analysis suck? Dude which is an "expert" classified a fake antivirus that logs keystroke as PUA. Second time i saw an expert sucking at Vaklyrie which is sad.
Didn't check the product but am i missing something?

Last edited:

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
I'm not even going to try and believe you just said this but let's both agree to disagree and leave it at that... I can't even tell if you are a troll or are genuinely being serious.

Roger_m a troll really ? Come, come, surely you jest sir ?

Roger has been testing all sorts of obscure AV`s constantly over the years and if he says it`s legit(ish) then it`s legit(ish).

Nuff said

Regards Eck :)

Last edited:
W

Wave

Roger_m a troll really ? Surely you jest sir ?

Roger has been testing all sorts of obscure AV`s constantly over the years and if he says it`s legit then it`s legit.

Nuff said

Regards Eck : )
He is the same person that argued with me a few years ago about Reimage Repair... See the following:
Remove Reimage Repair pop-up ads (Virus Removal Guide)
PUA.ReimageRepair | Symantec

Forget it, I totally agree with you... 100% reliable, thanks for your analysis @roger_m, very beneficial, I'm going to install it right now to protect my system with Avira signatures, I was totally wrong about it.

Comodo now detects it
Comodo are idiots, @roger_m has performed some analysis and he is telling us it is safe, 100% reliable, completely. No doubt about it.

... Nuff said.... ....

Last edited by a moderator:

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
Don`t think anyone suggested that you were wrong Wave but that only that these fakey type crappo programs are using real sigs instead of just graphics.

Anyway you could do worse than avira sigs.

Reactions: AtlBo and frogboy

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Don`t think anyone suggested that you were wrong Wave but that only that these fakey type crappo programs are using real sigs instead of just graphics.

Anyway you could do worse than avira sigs.
A number of years ago, there were plenty of rogue/fake antiviruses, which would always say that your system was infected - even if it was clean, to encourage people to buy the full version. However, these days, such rogues are few and far between.

What is reasonably common these days however, is antiviruses such as this one, which come from unknown pubishers, which actually use Bitdefender, Avira or Vipre signatures. Due to them using legitimate signatures, they will only identify actual threats rather than providing fake scan results. Often these products aren't very good. More often than not, they will have a very basic user interface, with limited options. Also, they typically won't have any proactive protection. Another bad point, is that sometimes they have an extremely high price which is much higher than the price of well known and trusted antiviruses. But, the reality is that they will detect viruses, and also remove them too, if you buy the product, and won't harm your system.

@Wave if you were to actually test any of these antiviruses, rather than making assumptions, you would see that what I say is true. I hope you realise that many things detected by antiviruses these days are deteted on the basis of them being "uwanted programs" rather than acutally being threats. These unwanted programs are more often than not safe, but are typically detected because they come as unwanted bundled extras with other software.

Last edited:

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
A number of years ago, there were plenty of rogue/fake antiviruses, which would always say that your system was infected - even if it was clean, to encourage people to buy the full version. However, these days, such rogues are few and far between.

What is reasonably common these days however, is antiviruses such as this one, which come from unknown pubishers, which actually use Bitdefender, Avira or Vipre signatures. Due to them using legitimate signatures, they will only identify actual threats rather than providing fake scan results. Often these products aren't very good. More often than not, they will have a very basic user interface, with limited options. Also, they typically won't have any proactive protection. Another bad point, is that sometimes they have an extremely high price which is much higher than the price of well known and trusted antiviruses. But, the reality is that they will detect viruses, and also remove them too, if you buy the product, and won't harm your system.

@Wave if you were to actually test any of these antiviruses, rather than making assumptions, you would see that what I say is true. I hope you realise that many things detected by antiviruses these days are deteted on the basis of them being "uwanted programs" rather than acutally being threats. These unwanted programs are more often than not safe, but are typically detected because they come as unwanted bundled extras with other software.

Malware Lab's Rogue Gallery | Lavasoft

Checkout these bad boys;)

Reactions: AtlBo and frogboy
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.