New Features Secure your MalwareTips Account - Enable Two-Step Verification

Did you enable Two-Step Verification for your MalwareTips account?

• Yes

Votes: 135 30.0%
  • No, but I will now

Votes: 158 35.1%
  • No, I do not need this

Votes: 157 34.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Bit late to the party, but I'm glad to hear about 2-step verification. Thinking about it, Twitter doesn't have Google Authenticator as 2-step verification. But we do. o_O
2 FA it's a must these days. I use it everywhere is possible... Relying just on a password (which most likely you are using on multiple websites) is reckless. I strongly encourage you to use 2FA everywhere (and especially here :p).

Last edited:

Axelrod Sven

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Feb 11, 2016
2 FA it's a must these days. I use it everywhere is possible... Relying just on a password (which most likely you are using on multiple websites) is reckless. I strongly encourage you to use 2FA everywhere (and especially here :p).
Completely agreed, Gaffer. I don't use same passwords (Thanks to a Password Manager), but 2FA should be made optional everywhere. Banking websites, social media... wherever. If the technology of the website allows the incorporation of 2Factor, then it should be available.

The thing is, because forums and great communities like MalwareTips exist, many members are Security conscious and make good and informed choices - and thanks to helpful community members, you don't even need to be tech-savvy. But for whatever reason, the whole world isn't aware of good security, and awareness being really low - I mean, if we take a poll on social media asking whether they'd activated 2Factor, most friends - yours, mine, everyone's - would simply ask, "Well, what's that?"

By the way, I've been meaning to ask you - Was it difficult to incorporate 2Factor authentication into this forum? Did you have to install Custom software and builds, or was it available with the forum software itself?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Do I have to do the Phone as well ??
No, you can choose between the available methods, but ultimately using an Authenticator app will simplify the process. If you don't own a smartphone, you can use Authy for PC (browser extension).

Once every 30 days, you will need to verify your login, for trusted devices.

Trusted devices can be removed from https://malwaretips.com/account/two-step

Morro

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
I hat not done so until about a minute ago. My personal experience is that those websites who offer a "Two step verification" usually only have the option with a phone app. And believe it or not, I am one of those few people ( I think. :) ) now a days who does not own/needs a cellphone. :)

So it is good to see MalwareTips offering email verification as well, so now I have "Two step verification" on.

simbelmayne

Level 3
Verified
Jul 4, 2016
It's a little bit weird stuff to secure the forum account so much. I even removed the BattleNet authenticator, because it's too annoying to put out the phone every time you want to use the account

Reactions: Der.Reisende

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
It's a little bit weird stuff to secure the forum account so much. I even removed the BattleNet authenticator, because it's too annoying to put out the phone every time you want to use the account
Hello,
Even if you don't have sensitive information, it's good to have it enabled. You can use the email verification instead of the phone authentication to make things easier. Also you can trust a device for 30 days so that you will need to do this verification only once a month.. I've been using this feature since we've implement it and I find it very useful.

captdc

Nov 4, 2014
I have a problem with using it on Authy app I just downloaded on my samsung s6,
I set the authy app up and then went to my profile page here on malwaretip and chose to use app on phone the tride to get a verification code from malware tips with no success, I would rather use app than email.
Any help would be appreciated.

jadequest99

Level 3
Verified
Sep 15, 2014
Hello guys,
We would like to introduce to our community a new feature that will greatly increase your account security. Today we have enabled the Two-Step Verification system, and we strongly recommend that you enable this feature for your account.
Two-step verification increases the security of your account by requiring you to provide an additional code to complete the login process. If your password is ever compromised, this verification will help prevent unauthorized access to your account.

How to enable the Two-Step Verification
  1. Hover over your username in the top navigation bar, then select "Two-Step Verification".
    Or alternatively you can just go to: https://malwaretips.com/account/two-step
    View attachment 68822
  2. You will now be prompted to enter your account password.

View attachment 68823
  3. You will now see the Two-step option.
    And you will have here the following options:
    • Verification Code via App
      This allows you to generate a verification code using an app on your phone.
    • Email Confirmation
      This will send a code via email to verify your login. Other two-step verification methods should be chosen over this if possible.

View attachment 68824
  4. We will now enable the Email Confirmation verification, however you can also chose the Verification Code via App. Once we click on the Enable button, next to the Email Confirmation, an email from MalwareTips will be sent your email address with a code number. Go to your email and copy the code sent by MalwareTips.
    View attachment 68825
  5. Enter the code that we have sent you in the verification box. You have now enabled Two-Step Verification on your account, which will drastically increase your account security.
    Important! Once you have completed this process, our system will generate back-up codes for your account.
    These codes can be used to log in if you don't have access to other verification methods. Keep these codes in a safe and secure place. DO NOT share them with anyone.

View attachment 68826
Stay safe!
Thank you very helpful information. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.