SecureAPlus as StandAlone Protection

Wordward

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2011
Has anyone ever used or is currently using SecureAPlus without any other realtime protection enabled on windows 10? I have used it with Windows Defender, but I was thinking about disabling WD and just using SecureAPlus with the the ClamWin antivirus option enabled. From what I've read about it, you would think it would provide enough protection. Thanks.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
I've used SecureAPlus by itself before. It'll provide enough protection; more so than a default-allow antivirus will, although you have to be careful when deciding what you allow to execute.
I wouldn't bother installing ClamAV with it. It'll just hurt your system's performance while not adding anything significant in terms of protection. Remember that SecureAPlus already has access to multiple AV engines in the cloud and even if you lose internet connectivity you've still got application whitelisting and the APEX engine available to protect you.

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
SAP will give you their multiple-cloud AV signatures, and their unique brand of default-deny, but if you want the benefits of a decent resident AV, you will need to look elsewhere.

Wordward

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2011
I've used SecureAPlus by itself before. It'll provide enough protection; more so than a default-allow antivirus will, although you have to be careful when deciding what you allow to execute.
I wouldn't bother installing ClamAV with it. It'll just hurt your system's performance while not adding anything significant in terms of protection. Remember that SecureAPlus already has access to multiple AV engines in the cloud and even if you lose internet connectivity you've still got application whitelisting and the APEX engine available to protect you.
Great. Thanks for the info. I'll look up more about the Apex engine.

motox781

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
Clam AV is very poor protection. Don't rely on it.

Install without AV and use WD instead. But you are right about Clam AV. I think they don't have the funding to pay for sigs from Bitdefender ...etc. Maybe they have to implement an AV to be considered by Windows security center as complete. I tested their default deny a couple of years ago and it worked well for me.

Wordward

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2011
Thanks. I don't recall reading that the last time I had SAP installed. I think what I'm hearing is that ClamWin is Apex? But from what I read about it. would it be heavier and less protective than Windows Defender? My older laptop runs OK with WD, but I feel like there is some slowdown with it running compared to, say, Kaspersky Cloud Free that I tried out a few weeks ago. Boot ups and opening folders seemed to take less time. So now I wonder if I need any AV at all? The SAP site talks about it running alongside a 3rd party AV, but is it necessary with the cloud antivuruses that are a part of its protection? I think that was answered. But I just want to make sure before I disable Windows Defender to see if my laptop becomes a bit more responsive.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
I think what I'm hearing is that ClamWin is Apex?
I couldn't tell you. I stopped using SAP before Apex was even announced. They may have replaced ClamAV with Apex entirely or you may be able to choose between the two. I'd have to install it to find out. Regardless, if I were you I'd avoid ClamAV like the plague.

o now I wonder if I need any AV at all? The SAP site talks about it running alongside a 3rd party AV, but is it necessary with the cloud antivuruses that are a part of its protection?
Depends on how confident you are in your own judgement. Keep in mind that SAP has no post-execution protection at all, so if you do allow something malicious - that isn't immediately detected by the Universal AV - to run, it's going to have free reign on your system until it's detected by one of the engines in the Universal AV or Apex. Also keep in mind that the engines included in the Universal AV are very much delayed in terms of signatures as compared to their original counterparts.

So SAP can be used by itself without a companion AV, but be aware that your decision to allow something to run or not is the sole hurdle against infection. If that thought worries you at all then you'd do well to pair it with a traditional AV that includes strong behavioural blocking, which would remedy SAP's lack of post-execution protection.

Last edited:

Wordward

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2011
I have SAP installed without ClamWin AV. Real-time scanners is checked by default, and Windows Defender was disabled after installation. I will post a screen shot of that section of the GUI later, since I am not at home and only going from memory about the scanner section of the GUI. Speaking of memory. I posted this now because I forgot to earlier while on my laptop. Lol

Last edited:

Wordward

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2011
1544921579903.png

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
You have the option,to unregister as Antivirus,then use other,when clicked on like the above picture shows, Windows security shows it taking Defenders place,unclick Defender is back, this is with Windows 10,its says your computer is at risk live scanning:not running{secureaplus}but other components are active

Reactions: Wordward and Nevi

woodrowbone

Level 10
Verified
Dec 24, 2011
I run SAP with APEX only, no Universial AV enabled.
Very effective, it has the fastest real-time protection I have ever seen, a couple of hundred malware gets deleted in seconds when unzipping to a folder.
Did I mention APEX is extremely good at spotting malware, the best I have seen in a looong time.

/W

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I run SAP with APEX only, no Universial AV enabled.
Very effective, it has the fastest real-time protection I have ever seen, a couple of hundred malware gets deleted in seconds when unzipping to a folder.
Did I mention APEX is extremely good at spotting malware, the best I have seen in a looong time.

/W
Never heard of Apex ,your reply sound good any links to it being tested? Thanks,ok sorry I found some info Artificial Intelligence Anti-Virus Scanner | SecureAPlus

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.