Advice Request Security browser extensions

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Soulbound

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Came across this article, although is from nearly 3 years ago.

Question:
what AV solution browser extension you use and why?

Note: this is not a thread to list other extensions such as adblockers, https anywhere etc.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
And also AdGuard. Isnt it?
Yes Adguard is trustable too with no bad records so far as far as I'm concerned. Also, anything owned by EFF that he already mentioned in the video.
I personally trust AdGuard more but i will remove it soon so Browser run without any such extension.
For me it's the opoosite. uBlock Origin over Adguard. Adguard is a company who in the end relies on profit while Raymond Hill aka gorhill has no intention to earn money through uBO. He doesn't even accept donation and suggests donating to filter maintainers instead.

StRonK

Level 1
Apr 19, 2020
I personally trust AdGuard more but i will remove it soon so Browser run without any such extension.
I know you are using nextdns, I've looked at your guide topic about nextdns. I guess you are only considering blocking ads with nextdns, But it's not a complete solution for cosmetic ads. What kind of solution do you think for cosmetic ads , can you share if you found a solution .
(I hope I wrote understandable. I do not know English well)

Reactions: Nevi

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
For me it's the opoosite. uBlock Origin over Adguard. Adguard is a company who in the end relies on profit while Raymond Hill aka gorhill has no intention to earn money through uBO. He doesn't even accept donation and suggests donating to filter maintainers instead.
Interesting, I will give it another try. I have to use an adblocker, it replaces like 3-4 extensions, to block cookie notices, adult webpages, coinminers and some malware.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

And this is the problem here.
How does he can put so much time in his project without getting money?

Reactions: enaph and Nevi

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Yes Adguard is trustable too with no bad records so far as far as I'm concerned. Also, anything owned by EFF that he already mentioned in the video.

Do you recommend HTTPS Everywhere add-on for the Edge?

Reactions: Nevi

DDE_Server

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
Last edited:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
And this is the problem here.
How does he can put so much time in his project without getting money?
It's not a problem. There are some people like that who is passionate about their free product even though they don't have any intention to earn money from it. Look no farther than our own @Andy Ful. Raymond Hill is similar.
BTW, one of the reason he stopped developing uMatrix is lack of time. He also hinted that the same may one day happen for uBO too. If that happens then I would be very careful about using uBO. Until that there's so reason to be suspicious about him IMO.

Jan Willy

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019
Adguard is a company who in the end relies on profit while Raymond Hill aka gorhill has no intention to earn money through uBO.
Yes, Adguard is acting commercial. It's a condition to operate independant from third parties. Anyway, it provides some more confidence over free solutions. Besides that look at the permissions you have to grant to a browser-extension. Regarding that point the Adguard extension (which is free) is as 'bad' as uBlock, Privacy Badger and many other extensions. Keep safe, avoid any extension.

Reactions: ForgottenSeer 85179

Jan Willy

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019
So desktop application is enough 🤔🤔?
There are things DNS filtering can't. If you want cosmetic filtering and/or using filter-lists that (besides network-filters) include scripts (e.g. for anti-tracking) I only recommend (payed) Adguard for Windows (desktop). I believe (I can't prove) that this program is the most trustworthy. It's just my opinion, you have to make your own consideration.

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Same problem but only "moved" from browser to OS level.
Using DNS filtering is the only solution without increasing attack surface. It's also the best solution for performance and battery.
I didn't watch the whole video but he's basically saying that many extensions have full access to your browsing data and can see every website you visit. DNS however can keep logs too, so even DNS-filtering might be a risk. Soon we should only used the software that comes preinstalled with Windows and not install anything anymore? That can't be a solution either...

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

DNS however can keep logs too, so even DNS-filtering might be a risk.
DNS provider only see the domain and TLD, not the specific URL nor the data you use in websites.
That's the same reason DNS can't hide cosmetic stuff.

Of course, you need trust your DNS provider. If you don't configure that, you use ISP ones.

Soon we should only used the software that comes preinstalled with Windows and not install anything anymore?
That is always a good idea. Install as less as possible (y)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.