Security Config

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Windows Defender is Microsoft Security Essentials, and with Windows 8 you get the added benefit of SmartScreen protecting whole your OS.

If you wanted to replace Windows Defender, make sure it's Compatible with Windows 8.

Malwarebytes is a good standalone on-demand scanner. HitmanPro might be addition, but zero benefits unless you're infected, but I'm ~sure MBAM can remove those for free.

Keep copies of your personal files backed up and a recovery disc of Windows 8 installation for emergency.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Like Earth said Windows Defender is Microsoft Security Essentials for Windows 8. There are other options that yoou can use, some of them include:
  • CO-MO-DO Internet Security
  • Avast Free + CO-MO-DO Firewall

Yes it might also be Windows 8 but I see that you have not got a backup as well, here are a few options:

Also a few more things that you can add to Mozilla Firefox and or you can add Google Chrome.

Firefox Addons
  • Ghostery
  • WOT

Hope that this helps :)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
McLovin, CIS is still beta for Windows 8.
https://forums.comodo.com/beta-corner-cis/cis-beta-for-windows-8-customer-preview-t83044.0.html

I personally wouldn't recommend either for Windows 8 users.

I don't agree to the backup software choices, as the free ones available are decent.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Earth said:
McLovin, CIS is still beta for Windows 8.
https://forums.comodo.com/beta-corner-cis/cis-beta-for-windows-8-customer-preview-t83044.0.html

I personally wouldn't recommend either for Windows 8 users.

I don't agree to the backup software choices, as the free ones available are decent.

Fair enough. Since then it's still in Beta pick something that you are comfortable with. :)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I'm not the OP, but a little research helps. :)

I think you could add Free Cloud Backup options to your suggestion lists. ;)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well for Windows 8 there are some quite application to be compatible and likely beta so use it at your own risk.

Windows 8 packs with security feature which known to be one as secure OS as possible but not most.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.