Security Madness 2016- Intro and R1

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
May 26, 2014
What Is this?

March Madness is a basketball tournament where 32 teams are pitted against each other in a bracket format. Security Madness will pit 12 security products which I will review against each other to give the places running.

Note: This bracket was randomly matched, with the exception of the top 4 most praised security products on MalwareTips, which earns a by during the second round:
Screen Shot 2016-03-16 at 7.55.50 PM.png

If you want to suggest another product, tell it to me so if we hit 12 suggestions there will be an alternate security madness.

So Let's Get Started, shall we?

Match 1: Sophos Home v. Trend Micro AV.

Period 1: Performance (8 points)

Sophos Home excels in this field, running smoothly without any interruption or freezing- not even a change in performance! Trend Micro- although doesn't do poorly in this round, did have a little bit of performance change. This could be touch, but Sophos Home gains 8 points.

8 v. 0

Period 2: Security (10 points)

Sophos Home is a lightweight cloud-based scanner, while Trend Micro is a conventional AV with much more detection and protection as resulted from testing. Again, it's a close call but this time Trend Micro takes home 10 points and the lead by 2.

10 v. 8
Period 3: UI (5 points)

Trend Micro definitely takes this field by a long shot. Its modern interface may not satisfy everybody, but I found it easier than Sophos Home's unusable interface. The UAC prompt was shown every time I wanted to open the UI, and the options can only be configured through Sophos website- which I thought was outright ridiculous.

13 v. 8

Period 4: Installation (2 points)

Sophos Home's installation was much cleaner than Trend Micro's although it took several minutes to load up.

13 v. 10

Period 5: Misc. (Points when possible)

Sophos is very bare-bones for the average user, which makes it suitable for grandparents (from my personal studies)- just set it and forget it.

Trend Micro comes with some extra features, none which are very notable, like Spam Filters, and Enhanced Firewall (which enhances windows firewall).

No Points Awarded (13 v. 10)

Summary: Trend Micro takes
home the lead with 3 more points than the competitor, however you won't go wrong with either of these products. In a few days time the victorious Trend Micro will take on the giant ESET with its top line of antivirus products.

Stay Tuned.

Screen Shot 2016-03-16 at 8.16.43 PM.png

Wihat

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2016
I will do a same test like this but I focus on performance, detection, speed and ability to heal. Including: Internet security trial version of Avira, Avast, AVG, Bitdefender, ESET, Panda, Sophos( free), Comodo and Windows defender.

Reactions: tonibalas

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
I will be honest, not every can be compared and tested equally. You have Paid and Free solutions. Also, not every solution have the same prevention capabilities or even the same tools.

Please take this into consideration when doing such "showdowns".

Detection only wise, is fine but that is basically it. Lightness if you must but cant go any further due to limitations.

Also, there is no documentation on how tests are done, what samples etc. Can be misleading for general public.

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
You have me intrigued by this
Same here and i will be expecting your opinio on the other programs.
But i would like to see some other programs like
AVG, Avira, Comodo( CIS or CCAV ), Vipre, Gdata, F-Secure, Webroot, Bullguard, TrusrPort

Reactions: frogboy

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Many factors to make the comparion fair and one of the example is multi engine based AV where it must compete with another AV that have same concept to avoid mismatch.

It generally affect the overall result.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.