Advice Request Security setup for my parents

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Scirious

Level 2
Feb 22, 2022
Is great protection, but IMO not set and forget, because it can block system processes and updates because the files are not known to be safe/trusted by Comodo.
You have to look at the unrecognized files on a regular basis.
A real set and forget is something hard to find. In this case may paid Kaspersky with password protection or Sophos Home Premium that he could manage from distance.

Reactions: Stopspying

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
A real set and forget is something hard to find. In this case may paid Kaspersky with password protection or Sophos Home Premium that he could manage from distance.
Correct, nothing is truly set and forget ,but my third option: F-Secure Safe (free from her ISP) + SWH + MS Edge with uBlock Origin works great for me and my mother in law.
It is almost set and forget.

G

Guilhermesene

I think that install-and-forget solutions in this case are the best options.

In this case I would suggest Norton or Bitdefender, besides, remember that they will hardly manage to infect the PC with real malware, in most cases, those who are not very tech savvy have the device full of PUP/PUA due to installing unwanted software. In that case, ESET would be nice as long as it is well configured to become more automated you will save them from this problem.

mkoundo

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jul 21, 2017
He said that all they know how to do is turn the computer on and off, is the admin going to be there 24/7 in case something pops up? Andy has said himself that HC is for advanced users.
Nothing pops up with hc. Anything that gets blocked is done in the background. From personal experience, looking after a senior person's computer, there's been no problem in years of running this configuration. They only do some very basic browsing and that's it.

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
Nothing pops up with hc. Anything that gets blocked is done in the background. From personal experience, looking after a senior person's computer, there's been no problem in years of running this configuration. They only do some very basic browsing and that's it.
Ok, but when I was using HC I got several popups when trying to use some of my tools/programs I have, I had to change the configuration to Avast/Hardened or something like that, don't remember exactly. In any case its probably a moot point here as I am quite sure his parents don't have any of the tools I use.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
My mother likes to play some online puzzle games and read news on her PC.
This setup protected us for a couple of years.
It's an old laptop that supports Windows 7 at maximum. ( Extended support of course 😏 )
MSE + NVT ERP ( learning mode for some time, configured by me, after that Lockdown mode) + Edge with uBlock Origin + Secure Folders to block execution and access to specific folders.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
My main concern are the interactive notifications that they would have to click as they wont understand a thing what is going on (they are the type off people you need to draw the power button on paper so they know where to turn on/off the computer).
Change your browser settings.

Most PUP notifications come from Chromium browser notifications if allowed.
  • brave://settings/shields - Aggressive trackers and ad blocking
  • brave://settings/socialBlocking - Block Google/Facebook logins to prevent accidental sign ups.
  • brave://settings/content/notifications - Don't allow websites to send Notifications. Also Block Mic/Webcam/Location access etc.

Enable power settings to assist sleep PC after x hours of inactivity.

Have you any sugestions on what applications to use on my parents Win10 OS for security?
I'm planing to install Kaspersky security cloud free, Adguard windows, BD Traffic light on Brave, Simple WH, and SimpleWall.
  • Local Admin user account with password
  • Standard user account with Windows Hello PIN (simple 4 digit)
  • Block apps outside of Store.
  • Microsoft Defender (configured per usage) + Firewall (default)
  • Adguard for Windows - also blocks malware and phishing pages
I don't recommend any third party firewall and no need for Bitdefender extension either.

franz

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
May 29, 2021
A couple of my friends and family only use f-secure safe, win10, uBlock + Privacy Badger. They also have hardware firewalls in their routers. They all have standing orders to follow my recommendations otherwise they have to fix the problems themselves ;). I ensure that programs are regularly updated and check whether the machines are clean. Most of them just surf and pay bills at the bank, but a couple of young people download what young people like to watch at any time, but in all these years no one has had their machines infected, incredible but true. I run tests regularly in case something has crept in, but so far, clean machines.

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
Hi Friends,

Have you any sugestions on what applications to use on my parents Win10 OS for security?
I'm planing to install Kaspersky security cloud free, Adguard windows, BD Traffic light on Brave, Simple WH, and SimpleWall.

My main concern are the interactive notifications that they would have to click as they wont understand a thing what is going on (they are the type off people you need to draw the power button on paper so they know where to turn on/off the computer).

Love them non the less <3

For a free antivirus, you could use that antivirus, or you could use Windows Security set to Recommended settings by DefenderUI instead, or you could use that antivirus along with Windows Security set to Periodic Scanning mode & set to Recommended settings by DefenderUI, which would give you a free antivirus and a free automatic second opinion antimalware scanner.

For one-time payment ad / tracker / malicious website blocking at the operating system level you can keep Adguard For Windows, get the lifetime license(s) when on sale like it often is on StackSocial et cetera, and install the free Adguard Browser Assistant in Brave Browser.

For free web browser protection, you can use Malwarebytes Browser Guard instead of Bitdefender TrafficLight, or use them together in Brave Browser; and make sure that your web browser's built-in security settings are turned on & up.

For a free second (third) opinion on-demand antimalware scanner, you could use Sophos Scan & Clean set to automatically scan at start-up using Windows Task Scheduler.

For a free custom DNS with ad blocking & tracker blocking & malicious website blocking, you could use Adguard DNS Public Default or Family DNS servers (in Adguard For Windows and / or Brave Browser and / or your Router et cetera).

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
Windows Defender, Adguard (family license $16 on stacksocial with code) or NextDns, and make sure the default browser is a Chromium variant either MS Edge, Brave or Chrome that automatically updates with no user interaction. You can add TeamViewer if you want to go down that remote route if anything happens to the computer and they need you to fix it. Anything more complicated and you're going to get many phone calls from the parents asking about a popup or setting being blocked.

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
- Kaspersky Security Cloud Free
- uBlock Origin on all browsers. Google default on all browsers. HTTPS only.
- Set Windows to auto-update everything
- Set up NextDNS servers with good privacy/security lists that do not cause breakage
- Install every program they might need (PDF, Office, Messaging, Email) so that they won't download the wrong thing from some malware website

Each one of these is a layer and combined, those layers alone should keep 90% of malware at bay. About the other 0.1%, I think it's a very low chance that the parents will ever run into them since it now has to get past uBO malware list, NextDNS malware list, Kaspersky signatures and Windows/App update.

Razza

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Aug 12, 2014
On the topic of DNS server it probably better to just use one that got malware protection Quad9 or Cloudflare security or possibly nextdns and keeping the ad blocking list to a minimum, the reason is DNS level ad blocking is more risky for site breakage, since browser extensions or whole pc filtering like Adguard app is able to filter ads/trackers a few ways based on domain/URL/Div on page where DNS level just block the whole domain where the extension might only block certain URL for a domain where DNS would block the whole domain.

Also if you already got ad blocking setup on the browser it's kind of redundant blocking it at DNS level as well, if you do use DNS for ad/tracking use Nextdns and keep the number on of lists to a minimum.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.