Advice Request Security setup for my parents

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Pixelman

Level 4
Thread author
Well-known
Jun 7, 2022
Hi Friends,

Have you any sugestions on what applications to use on my parents Win10 OS for security?
I'm planing to install Kaspersky security cloud free, Adguard windows, BD Traffic light on Brave, Simple WH, and SimpleWall.

My main concern are the interactive notifications that they would have to click as they wont understand a thing what is going on (they are the type off people you need to draw the power button on paper so they know where to turn on/off the computer).

Love them non the less <3

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Windows Defender + DefenderUI (recommended profile) + SWH + MS Edge with uBlock Origin and Bitdefender TrafficLight.
Kaspersky Security Cloud Free + SWH + MS Edge with uBlock Origin
F-Secure Safe + SWH + MS Edge with uBlock Origin
Are my tried combo's with parents and parents in law.

Don't overcomplicate things and think about remote access for helping them when needed.

tsunami

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2018
passwords - 2fa mfa / strong passwords / don't reuse
update/patch software
don't click suspicious links from email, social media, txt messages etc.
don't install unreputable software/apps
use secured dns - quad9, cloudflare for families, cleanbrowsing, adguard public dns

setup their router while you're at it Router Security

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
That alone, is all that truly matters. (y)

Btw, what's their setup today? You should be very careful change too much for seniors or as in this case your parents. Be prepared that it's you that have to cave in at the end, so if it has to be a new 3rd party solution, absolutely go for a set and forget product. If your not sure what is, avoid try it on your parents machine.

Pixelman

Level 4
Thread author
Well-known
Jun 7, 2022
That alone, is all that truly matters. (y)

Btw, what's their setup today?
KSCF + Default WD + Chrome + BD TL
Kaspersky Security Cloud Free + SWH + MS Edge with uBlock Origin
Will try this, only with Brave and Adguard for windows instead of uB.
I think this will be enough.

I made some strict rules for them as to where and what to click on the internet and desktop environment.
In this mater they listen to me like I'm their parent, it's soooo funny. :)

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
If the PC is not too old then for elder/non-tech savvy people I prefer Bitdefender Free for its 100% automatic protection. If it's Windows 10 then Hard_Configurator/SWH for extra protection.
I like McAfee WebAdvisor and Norton SafeWeb more than TrafficLight in many cases because they can also block third-party connections, unlike TrafficLight which blocks the main host connection only.
For your Kaspersky security cloud free + Adguard windows combo, I would disable HTTPS scanning for Kaspersky to greatly improve browsing speed and reduce CPU usage.
If you can set up NextDNS/anything else with OISD filter at least, then that would be a very effective first line of defense.
An interactive Firewall would be a disaster. Use something like SimpleWall only if you configure it properly and make sure everything will work without any user input.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
If the PC is not too old then for elder/non-tech savvy people I prefer Bitdefender Free for its 100% automatic protection.
This is my first suggestion too. Either that or M$ Defender @ default with relevant ASR rules enabled. Add Edge and µBO @ default. Set & forget..

Basically, @Moonhorse advice
Any decent antivirus + adblock will do, your parents are in good hands (y)

pxxb1

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2018
Hi Friends,

Have you any sugestions on what applications to use on my parents Win10 OS for security?
I'm planing to install Kaspersky security cloud free, Adguard windows, BD Traffic light on Brave, Simple WH, and SimpleWall.

My main concern are the interactive notifications that they would have to click as they wont understand a thing what is going on (they are the type off people you need to draw the power button on paper so they know where to turn on/off the computer).

If they not are going to install programs or do a lot of changes with the Pc, this is a simple matter. Use the pc - as is - but, add and configure Adguard adblocker to Edge and DefenderUI for Ms Defender for easier handling. In Edge the feature "Enhance your security on the web" should be activated which makes the browser superior in security.

As is means; UAC activated and the secure web browser Edge in use. They need to be educated in how the UAC works, then they will understand that, if changes is about to occur that they have not initiated, deny.

Simplicity is the key for novices and old folks, adding extras, just creates confusion and uncertainty. Realizing that Windows is enough as it is, creates trust.

Razza

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Aug 12, 2014
BD free is a good option since it fully automated dealing with threats, it's one of the av I recommend for non technical user, when installing on a system with that used mainly by non technical users try to avoid any product that prompt for action.

FSecure is also a good option too in my experience it lighter on the system than BD and am pretty sure it doesn't prompt for any action and just dose it automatically.

mkoundo

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jul 21, 2017
HC is not really designed for novices.
Can't get a more secure and simple setup then FSecure Safe/SWH or Defender/CD/SWH imo.(CD or Defende

who said anything about the seniors having to use HC? It's only for the person administering the pc. The seniors would be oblivious to it.

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
who said anything about the seniors having to use HC? It's only for the person administering the pc. The seniors would be oblivious to it.
He said that all they know how to do is turn the computer on and off, is the admin going to be there 24/7 in case something pops up? Andy has said himself that HC is for advanced users.

Pixelman

Level 4
Thread author
Well-known
Jun 7, 2022
He said that all they know how to do is turn the computer on and off, is the admin going to be there 24/7 in case something pops up? Andy has said himself that HC is for advanced users.
I'm a few hundred km away from them. So I only visit them once in 2-3 months.
So set and forget options are the most practical for me... and them. :)

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I'm a few hundred km away from them. So I only visit them once in 2-3 months.
So set and forget options are the most practical for me... and them. :)
That is why I suggested remote access.
Helping my mother in law through AnyDesk saved me (in the beginning) from many trips over there.
Now I only use it when she has a question, maybe once a month or even less.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Perhaps you could consider to add Cruel Comodo since her setup reduces a lot of notifications.
Is great protection, but IMO not set and forget, because it can block system processes and updates because the files are not known to be safe/trusted by Comodo.
You have to look at the unrecognized files on a regular basis.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.