Question Seeking Free Cloudflare WARP Alternatives

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Tiamati

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
Hello everyone,

I’m currently using Cloudflare WARP for public WiFi traffic protection and it’s been quite helpful. However, I’ve been experiencing some bugs with the app that have been bothering me, and I’m considering a change.

My primary goal is to protect my phone’s internet connection, especially since I frequently use public WiFi. I’m looking for a solution that can keep my traffic encrypted, similar to how Edge’s secure network protects all browser traffic. However, I need a solution that covers all connections on my phone, not just the browser.

Does anyone know of a reliable, fast, and free alternative to Cloudflare WARP that could meet these needs? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

bobdoe

Level 2
Oct 10, 2020
Simple Dnscrypt is a tool to help manage dnscrypt and dns resolvers that gives you a lot of options such as anonymous resolvers and domain black/white lists eg... no warp capabilities though
This is a fork of the original Simple Dnscrypt...

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 45
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    385.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    380.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    386.7 KB · Views: 47

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Not a VPN: It's called 'VPN by Google One'.
  • Great for travelling and public hotspots. Easy to use. Connect and go.
  • App available for Mobile and Desktop.
  • Check regional pricing and availability before purchase.
  • A Google account with an active Google One plan required.

Tiamati

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
Simple Dnscrypt is a tool to help manage dnscrypt and dns resolvers that gives you a lot of options such as anonymous resolvers and domain black/white lists eg... no warp capabilities though
This is a fork of the original Simple Dnscrypt...
I'm not sure if this could encrypt all traffic going through public wi fi. Could you explain how this could work?

This could work. Any idea about how to get some free bandwidth?

Reactions: Keyang556

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
Good quality products that are "free" don't really exist. Are you sure you can't fork out $2.50 to $5 a month for a decent quality Vpn? Plenty of options.

Even if your looking to save maximum amount AdGuard Vpn (quality not so good but it kinda works) is $35 for 5 years on StackSocial. $7 a year is basically nothing.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Good quality products that are "free" don't really exist. Are you sure you can't fork out $2.50 to $5 a month for a decent quality Vpn? Plenty of options.

Even if your looking to save maximum amount AdGuard Vpn (quality not so good but it kinda works) is $35 for 5 years on StackSocial. $7 a year is basically nothing.
I see only two reliable alternatives which are both free.
  1. Opera Browser has a free "VPN". (This is not system wide as only routes the Opera browser data)
  2. Proton VPN is also free, but with limited servers to choose from.
Both are unlimited AFAIK.

Proton VPN is completely free without the catches of other free VPNs. IIRC Proton relies on paying customers to keep their free plans to remain free.

Downsides of Proton VPN Free
- Maximum of 3 devices.
- Maximum of 3 locations (Japan, Netherlands, USA).
- Server load varies on time of day (Night vs Day).
- Claims Medium speed.
- No split-tunnelling support on iOS due to Apple restrictions.
- Advanced security options not available without subscribing.
- To use Proton VPN browser extension, you need to be a subscriber to one of the paid plans.
- Proton account is required.

I didn't think it was necessary to mention a privacy-focused VPN, as they were focused on Security.

At OP, if you read the links I sent you will understand why it's a good option over a tradional VPN. If you have Google account then privacy isn't an issue. Google offers a free trial for Google One, where the starting 100GB plan is more than enough for light users.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
OP's only concern is leaking data via public Wi-Fi and clearly mentions he wants a free solution. That's why I mentioned Proton VPN.
Quoted your post to highlight the benefits of Proton over Opera's Free VPN.

The last part of my comment wasn't directed at you. I had originally planned to mention Proton but decided against it as I considered VPN by Google One more worthy. It's not a free option.

Cleo

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
May 25, 2020

I use this for its speed as it keeps up with my 1Gbps link but it has odd drawbacks. I was only able to get other servers than my regional one by using custom DNS servers. The Google VPN app also gets confused af if you have manually set your network adapter metrics.

• +Reputation
Reactions: Ink

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.