Senexx Config

Senexx

Thread author
Verified
Jun 28, 2013
I wrote this all out to copy and paste it in a box like this one, only to find I have to divvy it up.

I'm content with my setup, only really doing this post because it was recommended.

On general computer knowledge I would say Advanced but it’s been a while since I’ve been actively involved

On Browsers - Not a big Chrome fan – seems to take forever to load. Only started to use because some pages have not rendered correctly in Firefox

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I like the setup, but guessing since you have not mentioned a firewall, your using the Windows Firewall? Also do you use a password manager? Also a curious question, do you have UAC on and Windows Updates on Automatic?

Senexx

Thread author
Verified
Jun 28, 2013
Yeah just windows firewall on Windows 7
Used to use Online Armor on XP

Windows Update are on Automatic & haven't got the same updates over and over again like I used to on XP
UAC is on whatever its default setting is. Only asks me stuff during installs.

I do not use a password manager

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Everything looks sweet then. Any reason for picking Avira Free?

Senexx

Thread author
Verified
Jun 28, 2013
Avira Free
Avast Free
AVG Free

Pretty much the order I rank them in on the free side - that and sites like AV comparatives tend to agree - though to be fair they're testing paid products.

AVG had the bloatware issue a while back
Avast UI has changed that much I don't know where to start
and as I understand it Avira has better protection rates

Though its advertising on updates is annoying. I used to block those but Avira kept finding ways around them so I don't bother anymore. One pop up either advertising business cards or Premium version of Avira really isn't a hassle. I don't tend to read them anyway.

And Free because I'm on extremely tight budget.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Fair enough. :D

You could if your interested in MSE, that's free for Windows.

imsoadude

Level 3
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
You could get rid of super antispyware since their detection has gone down and try another on demand scanner like hitman pro

Z

ZeroDay

Pretty much the order I rank them in on the free side - that and sites like AV comparatives tend to agree - though to be fair they're testing paid products.

Avast has been above Avira on AV-Comparatives for a while now, and it's the free version of Avast that they test.

Senexx

Thread author
Verified
Jun 28, 2013
Thanks for the heads up ZeroDay. I will consider it.

On MSE, McLovin, I just fixed a computer that had that installed and so many things on it that it didn't pick up. Took it off put Avira on - got a few false positives but beyond that much better detection.

Imsoadude - based on the computer I mentioned above it does seem to be the case - the trouble of course with Hitman Pro is the cost. Sure you can use the trial if you're fixing another computer but if it is for what you use in the main, its problematic.

I'm guessing this is the reason AdwCleaner and JRT became a part of the malware removal toolkit?

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Senexx said:
Imsoadude - based on the computer I mentioned above it does seem to be the case - the trouble of course with Hitman Pro is the cost. Sure you can use the trial if you're fixing another computer but if it is for what you use in the main, its problematic.

I was always under the assumption that it's free if you use it as an on-demand scanner.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
HitmanPro is a free download and remains free to use as long as;
1. The activated trial hasn't expired (ie. 30 days), which is required for Removal.
2. Not part of a Corporate environment.
Erik Loman said:
The 30 days button is missing when HitmanPro is running on a computer that is part of a corporate network (computer is part of active directory domain).
This is per EULA where it states that you can use HitmanPro for free, unless in a corporate environment.
Same as Malwarebyets Anti-Malware which also may not be used for free in corporate environment.

Best regards,
Erik Loman
SurfRight B.V.
www.hitmanpro.com

At best, HMP is ideal for scan without removal only, unless you have a license.

That said, on-demand scanners are somewhat optional. If you're not installing a lot of software, you can probably get away by not using on-demand scans. Or if you do, make sure it's downloaded from reputable sources and the software is reliable to not contain adware. You could also make use of VirusTotal / Jotti.

Senexx

Thread author
Verified
Jun 28, 2013
Thanks for the heads up.
Again that trial period remains problematic for general use. I explained exceptions to this in a previous post.

imsoadude

Level 3
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
Even though there is a trial it gives you the locations of the files and registry keys so if you want it to remain trial you can always remove the files and registry keys yourself if you know how

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.