HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Hi

The intent of this article is to use ONLY portable and executable software to set up a system with good protection. All the software will be copied and unzipped to folders onto the PC/laptop and then operated from there. This is to avoid installation/uninstallation and the need of cleaning leftover registry entries/files/folders and, ultimately, to have a clean Windows-only system without the need of using 3rd-party uninstallers and imaging/restore software.

All the 3rd-party software mentioned below are available for free and in their portable form. Paid ware will be mentioned otherwise.

A) Using Portables

1) OS – Windows 10 Pro with Windows Creators Update. Set UAC to maximum and enable SmartScreen
2) Firewall – Windows 10 Firewall Control Free Edition/SterJo NetStalker
3) BackUp/Restore – Use Windows default system backup/restore and the use of restore points
4) Real-time Anti-Malware – Default Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection with PUP protection set up
5) On-demand Anti-Virus – Emsisoft Emergency Kit/Kaspersky Emergency Scan/Norton Power Eraser
6) On-demand Anti-Malware – MalwareBytes-Anti-Malware v2.x/Zemana AntiMalware

7) Windows Telemetry Control – O&O ShutUp 10
8) Office Application – Microsoft Office 2016 portable
9) Download Manager – Free Download Manager
10) Browsers – Hardened [Chrome/Opera(with VPN)]
11) File Compressors – WinRAR/BandiZip
12) PDF Reader – Sumatra PDF Reader
13) Software/Hardware Updater – SUMo/DUMo
14) Batch Image Converter – XnConvert
15) Partitioning Tool – MiniTool Portable Partition Magic

B) Using Executables

1) AdwCleaner/NoBot/Quick Heal Bot Removal Tool/Ultra Adware Killer

Although such a set up is possible for simplicity and convenience but, IMO, its protection is questionable. Windows Defender is weak for real-time malware protection. Lack of HIPS, behaviour blocker, exploit protection, ransomware protection and sandbox are also concerns for good protection.

Anyone can offer good suggestions for improving such a set up. Remember, with portable and execuatble software only. Paid ware is also welcome.

Thanks

Last edited:

LuciusHaydn

Level 1
Verified
Mar 19, 2017
I am very intrigued by this as I have always loved the idea of using only portable apps on a system. However I agree that the protection is questionable. The on-demand scanners are good and I personally use ZAM and EEK for that purpose. However something more is needed for real-time and I don't know of anything that can do that which is portable (not to say there isn't anything, I just literally don't know of any).

D

Deleted member 178

@HarborFront So basically you want to do what i do ? :D

Although such a set up is possible for simplicity and convenience but, IMO, its protection is questionable. Windows Defender is weak for real-time malware protection. Lack of HIPS, behaviour blocker, exploit protection and sandbox are also concerns for good protection.
WD isn't weak, it is a basis , if you have some skills, safe habits and know how to setup your system , you won't need much more. SUA + UAC (max) + Smartscreen (block) + some OS tweaks will block 90% of malware. You can add an anti-exe or SRPs to tighten the security and as a fail-safe.

Mostly noobs and happy clickers get infected with this setup. I use windows since win95-98 and all my security apps never kicked-in...because i never let any chances for my system to be at risk.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
@HarborFront So basically you want to do what i do ? :D

WD isn't weak, it is a basis , if you have some skills, safe habits and know how to setup your system , you won't need much more. SUA + UAC (max) + Smartscreen (block) + some OS tweaks will block 90% of malware. You can add an anti-exe or SRPs to tighten the security and as a fail-safe.

Mostly noobs and happy clickers get infected with this setup. I use windows since win95-98 and all my security apps never kicked-in...because i never let any chances for my system to be at risk.
Added UAC and SmartScreen settings.

Any portable version of anti-exe to recommend?

Thanks

Reactions: LuciusHaydn

inuyasha

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Apr 9, 2017
I also am curious about MS Office portable. I know of LibreOffice (which I adore) which has a portable option. Anything I have seen resembling MS Office portable has looked semi-questionable.

I looked up LibreOffice. looks really nice. can you open .doc and .docx files with it? if so, can you also edit and save them?

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Hmmmm......Evorim Free Firewall seems to be releasing a portable version too

Future development What we are currently working on
  • Integration in the Windows Action Center
  • Portable Version
  • Protection against fraudulent websites
  • And many, many more ...
Free Firewall

Another portable firewall here. It's Firewall App Blocker(FAB)

It's portable too. Just an executable and ini files

Firewall App Blocker

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
One correction.

Kaspersky Security Scan is not portable. It requires installation.

The portable one is Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool

JHomes

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2016
RollBack Rx is good for backup, especially if laptops aren't going to be near external media for traditional backup.

VMWare if you want to have no one actually using the OS itself.

VPN is always good too.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Crystal security can be used as a portable anti-exe

zemana portable is worth mentioned

I don't recommend evorim free firewall and kaspersky virus removal tool necause evorim is suspicious and KVRT takes forever to scan + there are much better option + it's outdated

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Crystal security can be used as a portable anti-exe

zemana portable is worth mentioned

I don't recommend evorim free firewall and kaspersky virus removal tool necause evorim is suspicious and KVRT takes forever to scan + there are much better option + it's outdated
For KVRT it took less than a minute for scanning if I do NOT include drive scan. With drive scan included it took about 34 min. to complete a scan. Reasonable timing I would say.

I think EEK is the best for it can update its signatures. I don't see such an option in Norton Power Eraser and KVRT.

Crystal Security is a good recommendation. I have just downloaded it. Thanks

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.