Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Posted on XDA: [APP][4.0+] AdClear: Non-Root Full-Version Ad Blocker
AdClear Ad Blocker for Android
SEVEN - Privacy Policy

AdClear is non-root, but it works on rooted phones just the same. AdClear creates a VPN on your device to filter out ad traffic before it reaches you on the web or in apps. The SSL certificate gets in the way of encrypted ads and filters them in the same way. This means the ad blocker can run in the background while you browse in whatever browser or app you want to use.

Features:
  • Blocks encrypted ads
  • Works with Wi-Fi and cell data
  • Blocks ads in apps
  • Selective app filtering
  • Support for multiple browsers
  • Non-root
  • Log of blocked ads
  • Saves bandwidth and battery
  • Increases loading speeds online
Reddit discussion: ELI5: AdClear Ad Blocker Privacy Policy? • r/androidapps

SevenAdClear writes:
Our privacy policy adheres to industry standards, with the caveat being that we also anonymize our data. Our business plan is to sell anonymized data to carriers or other developers, not advertisers.

Know that we don't collect personal information, but there's a nonzero chance that a collection of factors could be able to identify you; however that would require significant time and resources to do if it were. We assign you a UUID that is not connected to your device, therefore if you want further reassurance, you can uninstall and redownload the app and each time you will be given a completely new UUID. If you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer them!

reddit User asks: What exactly are you collecting?

SevenAdClear responds:
We collect details like android version, battery life, and app usage. App usage tends to cause red flags for a lot of users, but again, the data is aggregated and anonymous. What is of most value in that data is usually crash and interaction info.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I just tested it and it works great! Though, on their website they advertise themselves as "Blocks Youtube Ads" and this is only true if you watch Youtube on Chrome... Or you create a virtual enviroment with an extra application. Besides that, it seems to be a great app. Will keep it and monitor the battery usage.

insanity

Level 5
Verified
Oct 9, 2016
There are some other apps which work the same way as Adclear, such as DNS66 and Blokada. These two apps I mentioned are open source (unlike Adclear), so it's more safe to sideload the APK. With Adclear, no one knows how they are going to use your private information:
In the future we may sell anonymized data to carriers, but that's one idea of many. That's part of what we want to know from you. This is a unique business plan for the ad blocking market.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I dislike any non-rooted android adblocker because they are simply inconvenient and battery drainers. The most effective solutions:
- use an adblocking browser (naked browser gives you filterlist customization)
- use adguard DNS wherever you can (engelsiz: DNS changer can help to change DNS in 5 secs)
- use adhell if you have a samsung
- for youtube ads, use OGYoutube + microG for OGYT

Last edited:

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
I dislike any non-rooted android adblockers because they are simply inconvenient and battery drainers. The most effective solutions:
- use an adblocking browser (naked browser gives you filterlist customization)
- use adguard DNS wherever you can
- use adhell if you have a samsung
- for youtube ads, use OGYoutube + microG for OGYT
Or iYTB as youtube app replacement. Modded youtube app without ads, background playback, dark theme, select default streaming quality.
Disconnect pro is good adhell alternative, if you managed to get it free on limited time offer like me.

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
Disconnect Pro is a tracker blocker. Adhell 2 is an ads blocker

Disconnect blog

Disconnect
Most ads come with trackers anyway, disconnect pro will block most of the ads. Its the only one that is similar in any way to adhell. I used it before discovering adhell and it was very good, blocked most ads. Although bit aggressive when it comes to social media.
I still use original adhell and not adhell 2. Original adhell still works and surprisingly got few updates even after it was "banned". If it stops working, I'll move to disconnect pro. I prefer it over all the work I'll have to do for installing adhell 2.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
There are some other apps which work the same way as Adclear, such as DNS66 and Blokada. These two apps I mentioned are open source (unlike Adclear), so it's more safe to sideload the APK. With Adclear, no one knows how they are going to use your private information:

Adclear said
Our privacy policy adheres to industry standards, with the caveat being that we also anonymize our data. Our business plan is to sell anonymized data to carriers or other developers, not advertisers.

Know that we don't collect personal information, but there's a nonzero chance that a collection of factors could be able to identify you; however that would require significant time and resources to do if it were. We assign you a UUID that is not connected to your device, therefore if you want further reassurance, you can uninstall and redownload the app and each time you will be given a completely new UUID.

ELI5: AdClear Ad Blocker Privacy Policy? • r/androidapps

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Just installed and testing it out. In addition to having a firewall its Ad Blocking feature comes with

1) HTTPS filtering
2) DNS blocking which has
---a) DNS filtering
---b) DNS request blocking
---c) System DNS whereby user can select from a list of 16 public DNS providers,namely, DNS.WATCH, Google, Norton, Level3, Quad9 and many more....with primary and secondary DNS
---d) Additional filters for different language websites except one for malware filter. Cannot add filters to list. Hope that more filters can be added in future or allow user to add filters
---e) User Filters - Allow user to block/whitelist/SSL bypass domains
---f) Filter Log

Pretty impressive now.......and FREE....if you don't mind its Privacy Policy which I believe it don't affect you seriously

Last edited:

fabiobarao94

Aug 1, 2019
I have a question, I'm curious, how does adclear works?,
I used other blockers like blokada that uses hosts that point to 127.0.0.1
And that's how it's done, but this one I'm curious what's the difference?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.