Advice Request Several DNS tests - Find the DNS server you want

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Soulbound

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Often than not, I come across questions about whats the recommended DNS or should I stick to my ISP one or should I sacrifice speed for a little bit of protection/privacy.

I personally am against recommending DNS that provide malware protection since they tend to be slow in comparison to privacy focused ones for example.

As for determining which DNS are decent depending on your country, there are 3 tools available (one being hosted on a website).

DNS Jumper: Allows you to manually add your list to the existing populated list, test the speed performance based on your connection and also allows you to change it directly within the application.

DNS Benchmark (Domain Name Server Benchmark): Allows you to test its connection speed of many different DNS

Last but not least, DNS Performance (DNSperf): Allows you to have a general view on Perfomance, Uptime and Quality on top DNS services.

So having access to the above tools, which DNS Server will you continue to use/switch to?

Note: For me, my ISP uses Google DNS by Default, I personally use OpenDNS, so between the two, all of my tests showed negligible difference. Cloudflare's 1.1.1.1 showed just a little speedier in comparison but at this moment, there is no reason for me to make the switch. What I will do however is add Cloudflare DNS to one of my systems (not the gaming one).

I highly recommend you visit DNSPerf yourself and click on the DNS server you wish to have more granular information.

DNSPerf results (25th Aug 2020, last 30 days Raw Performance)
World
2020-08-25 19_30_20-DNS Performance - Compare the speed and uptime of enterprise and commercia...png

Europe
2020-08-25 19_30_44-DNS Performance - Europe.png

North America
2020-08-25 19_31_13-DNS Performance - North America.png

South America
2020-08-25 19_32_12-DNS Performance - South America.png

Asia
2020-08-25 19_32_38-DNS Performance - Asia.png

Note:
A note for those who dont know

Cloud Flare actually has 3 DNS services

1.1.1.1/1.0.0.1 --> Standard DNS

1.1.1.2/1.0.0.2 --> Standard DNS with Malware Filtering

1.1.1.3/1.0.0.3 --> Standard DNS with Adult Content Filtering

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 85179

More important then some milliseconds differently response times are security and privacy:

Soulbound

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
More important then some milliseconds differently response times are security and privacy:
I have to disagree with security.

Security should be covered by your system solutions, not on DNS level.

As for privacy, its all subjective and questionable at this day and age.

Soulbound

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Why using external programs if it's can be reached easily on that level.
Blocking malware on DNS level means less risk of a infection
and if that was the case, AV solutions would be out of business by now.

In comparison, we would have way more DNS that block malware on such level, yet that is not the case.

Nevertheless, this thread aim was to provide tools for users to choose their desired DNS services, not a discussion of which DNS should be chosen or a discussion for privacy vs "protection".

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
I think DNSperf gives realistic data in realtime. I always used CF 1.1.1.1 and always had too high pings although initial usage had low pings of 15ms on 4G on android and iPhone. Fast forward after few months, CF was getting slower and I used DNSPerf to check stats in Asia and CF had lower uptime, quality and raw perf. I switched to Google DNS partly due to uptime and quality which helps me stay connected during peak usage. Yes, privacy takes a hit.

Reactions: Protomartyr

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Cloud Flare actually has 3 DNS services
They want filter free and fast DNS, that is fine, but they should advertise other versions as well.
Quad9 for example filters malware by default, but people can optionally choose un-censored DNS.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
They want filter free and fast DNS, that is fine, but they should advertise other versions as well.
Quad9 for example filters malware by default, but people can optionally choose un-censored DNS.

Quad9 is super slow in India. 140ms ping and super slow download/upload. I'm using Google/CF DNS. Though, Google edges out CF in terms of quality download/upload and ping even in peak usage.

Soulbound

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Quad9 is super slow in India. 140ms ping and super slow download/upload. I'm using Google/CF DNS. Though, Google edges out CF in terms of quality download/upload and ping even in peak usage.
try OpenDNS should be similar with Google DNS in terms of download/upload and ping for you

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
try OpenDNS should be similar with Google DNS in terms of download/upload and ping for you
Tried that as well! On best days, Cloudflare, OpenDNS, Quad9, Google, Adguard etc.. have sub 10ms ping and best downloads/uploads but on peak days I found Google DNS to be very consistent in terms on speed and pings.

FireHammer

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 27, 2020
I leave it to my ISP Danish STOFA witch DNS they think is the best, I have not been infected yet, according to Bitdefender Total Security.
Should I feel & do differently, then please help me.

Reactions: [correlate]

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.