Advice Request sfc scans, ignore or be more paranoid??

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
something did not run as expected, and a suggested google fix was a win10 safemood troubleshoot sfc /scannow. that resulted in "Verification 100% complete. Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation." Not really helpful. Some hours later I ran sfc /verifyonly and got more info: "Verification 100% complete. Windows Resource Protection found integrity violations. For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log..." a text file of 700,000+ kb. I sent that over to real tech friend, and he said, you'll never get a good report as you upgraded over win7 and have been running that computer 24/7 for 6+ years, changed some hardware, etc... My cpu will not run win11 (without a hack). win10 is running normal stable & fast. Should I just ignore sfc scans or rebuild from scratch?? This pc has served me well, I got my money's worth, maybe it is time to consider new hardware running a clean install of win11?? PS ultimately, I did get that "something" app to run as expected. :whistle: I'm mostly clueless re sfc. :unsure:

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
It's really not possible to say what's wrong without seeing the log file, but if sfc is telling you to perform an online repair then try this.

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

after that, restart and run sfc /scannow

If sfc repairs something, restart once more

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
It's really not possible to say what's wrong without seeing the log file, but if sfc is telling you to perform an online repair then try this.

yes, thanks, I did read a little about Dism... but it seemed above my "pay grade" or easier to for me to break something, then doing nothing, since I'm not having "serious" issues. I'm not really paranoid about this sfc scan, I stumbled into it and recalled I had used sfc in distant past, on win7 or perhaps earlier. Was curious what folks here had to say, and how often is sfc used.

pxxb1

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2018
something did not run as expected, and a suggested google fix was a win10 safemood troubleshoot sfc /scannow. that resulted in "Verification 100% complete. Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation." Not really helpful. Some hours later I ran sfc /verifyonly and got more info: "Verification 100% complete. Windows Resource Protection found integrity violations. For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log..." a text file of 700,000+ kb. I sent that over to real tech friend, and he said, you'll never get a good report as you upgraded over win7 and have been running that computer 24/7 for 6+ years, changed some hardware, etc... My cpu will not run win11 (without a hack). win10 is running normal stable & fast. Should I just ignore sfc scans or rebuild from scratch?? This pc has served me well, I got my money's worth, maybe it is time to consider new hardware running a clean install of win11?? PS ultimately, I did get that "something" app to run as expected. :whistle: I'm mostly clueless re sfc. :unsure:

This is how i thought about it the first time i experienced it some years ago.
If one does not do anything about it, the problem will escalate over time. Repair with Dism is not so difficult as it seems, just read up on it over and over and then test and you will eventually get it. There is always the repair install option with an ISO also.

But handle it, sooner or later, you will have to.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I run sfc before I do a system backup. A system's configuration can easily be broken at the slightest chance. However, if the damage is minor, it will not surface. It is similar to diseases such as cancer. Consider that you will have to deal with it at some point.
I have also experienced the same problem with sfc. I remember that the cause of it was that the consistency of the update program had become strange. I dealt with dism.

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
This is how i thought about it the first time i experienced it some years ago.
If one does not do anything about it, the problem will escalate over time. Repair with Dism is not so difficult as it seems, just read up on it over and over and then test and you will eventually get it. There is always the repair install option with an ISO also.

But handle it, sooner or later, you will have to.
ok, good info. I think the techie friend to whom I sent CBS log is coming over this week, and he suggested several options (or do nothing). Makes sense what you say! Thanks.

F

ForgottenSeer 95367

ok, good info. I think the techie friend to whom I sent CBS log is coming over this week, and he suggested several options (or do nothing). Makes sense what you say! Thanks.
Time for a new OEM system; personal builds always have quirks, and yours is compounded by the fact that you're still using W7. Even if you upgrade the hardware, and then upgrade to W11, you can expect similarly strange results because the OS is not tweaked to the hardware. (Generic OS + Generic Hardware) = Weird Issues.

Your friend won't want to dig through a 700MB file to try to figure out what and why you got the result you did with scf.

I think your scf /scannow is a harmless quirk of your system.

pxxb1

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2018

Depends on his suggestions but, handle it you will have to, for sure, sooner or later.
My suggestion is, do a fresh install, upgrades very often had inbuilt bugs. I am sure your friend said so to since he commented the "report" as he did.

Reactions: show-Zi

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Time for a new OEM system; personal builds always have quirks, and yours is compounded by the fact that you're still using W7. Even if you upgrade the hardware, and then upgrade to W11, you can expect similarly strange results because the OS is not tweaked to the hardware. (Generic OS + Generic Hardware) = Weird Issues.

Your friend won't want to dig through a 700MB file to try to figure out what and why you got the result you did with scf.

I think your scf /scannow is a harmless quirk of your system.
Sorry if unclear. win7 originally installed on this hardware. Eventually, I installed win10 over win7 currently v10.0.19044_21H2. What you say >>harmless quirk of your system<< was my 2d thought and confirmed by tech friend, also consistent with @bayasdev, but don't disagree with @pxxb1 either. I'm lazy, and pc are easier to break than fix in my experience. 99.9% of time this pc is rock solid. and the 0.1% mostly minor annoyances. The more you (I) sit at keyboard with nothing else to do (retired), the more you (I) see. :geek:

• HaHa
Reactions: Nevi and vtqhtr413

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I run sfc before I do a system backup. A system's configuration can easily be broken at the slightest chance. However, if the damage is minor, it will not surface. It is similar to diseases such as cancer. Consider that you will have to deal with it at some point.
I have also experienced the same problem with sfc. I remember that the cause of it was that the consistency of the update program had become strange. I dealt with dism.
I would recommend running a dism/sfc combo after restoring a disk image as well, just in case something is corrupted after restoring.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: show-Zi
G

Guilhermesene

Good 🙂

I always use this...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.