Advice Request Shadow Defender and SSDs

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirk41

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
HI everyone!
I am about to install SD giveaway everywhere I can.
but I discovered in the internet people who were concerned about compatibility with SSDs. but they date back in 2012 it seems

now,as you can read above, SD says it support SSD from 2013-2014

but I'd like to know from someone who usually use it on SSDs if there are problems

(I won't keep it active everytime, I will turn it on just when I want to try something without leave junk in the registry and when I am obliged to download somthing suspicious for some reason I can't imagine now)

thank you for reading :)

Last edited:

Svoll

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
@Dirk41 This is what I did and it seemed to have helped lessen the writes on SSD. depending on how much Ram you have, I allocated 2gb for write cache and the disk usuage stayed at 50-55mb. If i don't alocate anything in write cache, i notice the ssd space usuage goes up. :)

Mr.X

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Aug 2, 2014
@Dirk41 This is what I did and it seemed to have helped lessen the writes on SSD. depending on how much Ram you have, I allocated 2gb for write cache and the disk usuage stayed at 50-55mb. If i don't alocate anything in write cache, i notice the ssd space usuage goes up. :)
This is true and I completely missed that point. Actually having 12 GB I dedicate 1500 MB to Shadow Defender for RAM Write Cache.

Also, I have a ramdisk for Sandboxie and my Windows is running sans page file. I believe this greatly reduces SSD wear.

Last edited:

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
On my 2 computers (Windows 10) the write cache sometimes reaches 3GB (after 12 hours). It depends of software configuration and SSD type. If you have 4GB RAM, then some problems can arrise and the system may lock up after a few hours. It is also recommended to disable ScheduledDefrag in the Task Manager.

Dirk41

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
thank you..I never noticed the option "ram used as write cache "
I have 4gb. about an hour of usage now I think and ssd storage did not decrised and task manager seems ok..but tank you for the warning..shutting down

Svoll

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
@Andy Ful May I ask what happens when ram cache is used up? Would it crash and lockup or would it start using diskspace?

SD Usage.png

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
@Andy Ful May I ask what happens when ram cache is used up? Would it crash and lockup or would it start using diskspace?

View attachment 125556

It should start using diskplace, but sometimes it locks up. I do not know exactly why, but it never happened on my second computer with 8GB RAM.

Reactions: Svoll
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.