Shadow Defender + CF/cs = Enough?

Discussion in 'Shadow Defender' started by SearchLight, Aug 13, 2017.

1. SearchLight

SearchLight Level 3

Jul 3, 2017
    New Jersey
    Windows 10
    Malwarebytes
    Some have suggested to me that I try SD, along with CF with cs settings. I am aware that SD is virtual software and what it does.

Do you think this is enough protection or should I add an AV like Avast or something else to make my PC almost bulletproof against malware?

Thoughts, and thanks.

shmu26 and bribon77 like this.
  2. Parsh

Parsh Level 24
    Trusted AV Tester

Dec 27, 2016
    7 Islands of Bombay
    Windows 10
    Default-Deny
    CFW with CS settings will basically be enough for use. Any data theft risks (not mitigated by Comodo) can happen on SD though any system or data changes made on the shadowed volumes will be reverted back on reboot.
    There are slight chances that CFW will miss a malicious file (due to cloud lookup / stolen trusted vendor certificate in cases.. or when you manually un-sandbox a potentially harmful app).
    Having a light AV alongside can probably help in such cases. Also, better the definitions of the companion AV, more malicious files will be blocked by the AV before CFW acts to contain them, hence lesser work CFW has to do.
    In the end, it's your choice based on what setup does good for you in terms of performance, convenience and compatibility. If you wish to go for it, BD free and Avast free are nice options.

bribon77 and Deletedmessiah like this.
  3. gery79

gery79 Level 4

Jun 21, 2011
    #3 gery79, Aug 13, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Emsisoft emergency kit once in a while and you are all set or install avas or avira without the extra bells just file shield and thats it

bribon77 likes this.
  4. Telos

Telos Level 8

Jan 29, 2017
    Baana
    I'd suggest that SD alone is sufficient.

bribon77 likes this.
  5. CMLew

CMLew Level 22

Oct 30, 2015
    Registered Safety Practitioner
    Singapore
    Windows 10
    Default-Deny
    SD + Appguard/NVT ERP + WFC would do equally good job as SD + CFW, with much lesser resource hog and tweaking.

bribon77 likes this.
  6. bribon77

bribon77 Level 11

Jul 6, 2017
    spain
    Windows 7
    Emsisoft
    Comodo Firewall with the configuration of Cs. And Shadow Defender. It seems to me, a very powerful combination ... I have also used it for a long time with good results.

Maxwell Sien likes this.
  7. SearchLight

SearchLight Level 3

Jul 3, 2017
    New Jersey
    Windows 10
    Malwarebytes
    And if you team these with Avast, overkill?

8. simmerskool

simmerskool Level 4

Apr 16, 2017
    non-profit corporate consultant
    USA
    Windows 7
    Emsisoft
    really? I tweaked cf10 once to cs_config and pretty much forget about it. just push "reset the container" button when I'm done running container. I'm currently running EAM with cf, perhaps unnecessary but they seem to be ok together.

9. CMLew

CMLew Level 22

Oct 30, 2015
    Registered Safety Practitioner
    Singapore
    Windows 10
    Default-Deny
    The issue here is tweaking. CFW tweaking is not for faint-hearted. For me, SD doesn't need to tweak much. Just turn on shadow mode and let it run. Appguard also the same. Get LockDown mode and you're good to go. WFC also the same, either u lockdown or receive notification mode.

simmerskool likes this.
  10. simmerskool

simmerskool Level 4

Apr 16, 2017
    non-profit corporate consultant
    USA
    Windows 7
    Emsisoft
    ok agree that CFW tweaking is not for the faint-hearted ;)