Not open for further replies.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
Some have suggested to me that I try SD, along with CF with cs settings. I am aware that SD is virtual software and what it does.

Do you think this is enough protection or should I add an AV like Avast or something else to make my PC almost bulletproof against malware?

Thoughts, and thanks.

Reactions: shmu26 and bribon77

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
CFW with CS settings will basically be enough for use. Any data theft risks (not mitigated by Comodo) can happen on SD though any system or data changes made on the shadowed volumes will be reverted back on reboot.
There are slight chances that CFW will miss a malicious file (due to cloud lookup / stolen trusted vendor certificate in cases.. or when you manually un-sandbox a potentially harmful app).
Having a light AV alongside can probably help in such cases. Also, better the definitions of the companion AV, more malicious files will be blocked by the AV before CFW acts to contain them, hence lesser work CFW has to do.
In the end, it's your choice based on what setup does good for you in terms of performance, convenience and compatibility. If you wish to go for it, BD free and Avast free are nice options.

gery79

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2011
scan with MBAM and Emsisoft emergency kit once in a while and you are all set or install avas or avira without the extra bells just file shield and thats it

Last edited:
Reactions: bribon77

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
SD + Appguard/NVT ERP + WFC would do equally good job as SD + CFW, with much lesser resource hog and tweaking.

Reactions: bribon77

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
Comodo Firewall with the configuration of Cs. And Shadow Defender. It seems to me, a very powerful combination ... I have also used it for a long time with good results.

Reactions: Maxwell Sien

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
SD + Appguard/NVT ERP + WFC would do equally good job as SD + CFW, with much lesser resource hog and tweaking.

really? I tweaked cf10 once to cs_config and pretty much forget about it. just push "reset the container" button when I'm done running container. I'm currently running EAM with cf, perhaps unnecessary but they seem to be ok together.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
really? I tweaked cf10 once to cs_config and pretty much forget about it. just push "reset the container" button when I'm done running container. I'm currently running EAM with cf, perhaps unnecessary but they seem to be ok together.

The issue here is tweaking. CFW tweaking is not for faint-hearted. For me, SD doesn't need to tweak much. Just turn on shadow mode and let it run. Appguard also the same. Get LockDown mode and you're good to go. WFC also the same, either u lockdown or receive notification mode.

Reactions: simmerskool

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
The issue here is tweaking. CFW tweaking is not for faint-hearted. For me, SD doesn't need to tweak much. Just turn on shadow mode and let it run. Appguard also the same. Get LockDown mode and you're good to go. WFC also the same, either u lockdown or receive notification mode.

ok agree that CFW tweaking is not for the faint-hearted ;)

Reactions: Brie
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.