Update Shadow Defender Update Thread (Current Version 1.4.0.629)

Discussion in 'Shadow Defender' started by Umbra, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Opcode

Opcode Level 18
    Content Creator

Aug 17, 2017
    Caille
    Windows 10
    @Andy Ful Well said my friend! Chromebook is much better for Chrome OS, after all it was specifically designed for it, but I do think they are a bit overpriced. I can get better hardware for much cheaper, maybe Google can improve with this and then they're own Chromebook will become much more popular.

browneylad, Andy Ful and Sunshine-boy like this.
  2. Opcode

Opcode Level 18
    Content Creator

Aug 17, 2017
    Caille
    Windows 10
    @Yo Whats Up

Shadow Defender is most effective when you leave it at its default configuration settings and don't make many changes; if you need to make a change then you can allow a change from within the GUI or temporarily disable it.

It is intentionally designed to block all changes, its most convenient for people who don't need to make changes regularly. They'll install Shadow Defender after their other required software and then leave it on, and occasionally allow changes should they need to download a document and keep it locally stored, uninstall/install a new program, etc.

3. Andy Ful

Andy Ful Level 22

Dec 23, 2014
    business
    Poland
    Windows 10
    Microsoft
    #183 Andy Ful, Dec 4, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    Yes, Shadow Defender is not for everyone (like Linux, Chromebook or Chrome OS). It is ideal though for people who have pretty stable setup, and like to test/play with many kinds of software. There is one important limitation - the software has to work without restarting the system. This limitation can be the obstacle when installing some security programs (for example Comodo Firewall).
    UPDATING - I go out of shadow mode once a week to do updates and let the system make conservation (1 hour a week).
    PLAYING WITH SOFTWARE - I used to install/test so many programs and test so many system tweaks, that without ShadowDefender the Windows had to be reinstalled several times a year. Most programs can be installed in a minute, so some useful programs (that I need rarely) I install temporarily and use for some hours in shadow mode. If the program is useful and needed frequently, then I install it out of the shadow mode. If I want to play longer than usual, I do not turn off the computer, but sleep the system. You can use the Steam platform to install many games when in shadow mode (SteamLibrary folder on the second disk) - only games that require installing C++ or DirectX libraries need installation out of shadow mode.
    COMMITTING FILES - I use two partitions: the system partition in shadow mode, and the second not in shadow mode. I keep the data on the second partition. I make the backup of the important data on the external USB disk. Committing big folders in Shadow Defender is a data suicide, it lasts toooo long and may cause some errors. I rarely commit files.
    SSD - I use 4GB RAM for Shadow Defender cache (computer has 8GB total RAM). That amount of memory is sufficient for one day in shadow mode in Windows 10.
    VIRTUAL_BOX - I use it frequently, so it is installed out of shadow mode, also the path of the image folder has to be changed, so this folder will be created on the disk that is not in shadow mode. Then you can use VirtualBox in shadow mode on boot.
    The above works for me.:)

Av Gurus, tonibalas and bribon77 like this.
  4. Lockdown

Lockdown From AppGuard
    Developer

Oct 24, 2016
    AppGuard LLC Virginia, U.S.
    #184 Lockdown, Dec 4, 2017
    Chrome OS is best suited to those that do not have the inclination to become security soft geeks. That was one of the reasons it was created. Simple is better for those that cannot handle Windows' needless, over-the-top undocumented complexity.

Andy Ful and Sunshine-boy like this.
  5. Lockdown

Lockdown From AppGuard
    Developer

Oct 24, 2016
    #185 Lockdown, Dec 4, 2017
    Windows, for better or worse (I think worse), is for the security soft geek. Personally, I would like to see most of what is shipped with Windows that is not needed disabled by default - and an 0pt-in for those that actually need it - which is very, very, very few people. People who are ignorant of what is needed will scream "Foul, if Microsoft put it there, then it is important and not to be disabled !"

Like Marie Antoinette supposedly once said... "Let those fooolz eat cake." What does Marie Antoinette have to do with Windows ? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. But alas, it is a perfect example to use another person's words to mock the ignorant, so please... read on... We all know good ol' Marie never said such a thing, but those who have a deep understanding of language, get my mocking point.

Microsoft's own security divisions advise Enterprises to disable the dangerous parts of Windows as a matter of course - which are the parts that the uninitiated ignorants argue should not be disabled because Microsoft put those parts in Windows and therefore should not be disabled. What awesome logic. It will kill us all.

Anyway, this is an SD thread. If you're using Windows, then you better be fortifying Windows and Shadow Defender is one of the great choices.

Av Gurus, Umbra and Andy Ful like this.
  6. HarborFront

HarborFront Level 34
    Content Creator

Oct 9, 2016
    Far East
    Andy Ful and Sunshine-boy like this.
  7. Lockdown

Lockdown From AppGuard
    Developer

Oct 24, 2016
    Without Webroot installed ?

I never saw delays without WSA on the system. Put lousy WSA on the system and problems.

8. HarborFront

HarborFront Level 34
    Content Creator

Oct 9, 2016
    Far East
    #188 HarborFront, Dec 4, 2017
    Yes, no Webroot as mentioned in my post #10 in my thread

BTW, I'm not referring to delays now. I'm talking of my 2nd Test

9. Lockdown

Lockdown From AppGuard
    Developer

Oct 24, 2016
    I never experienced it without WSA. Sorry.

Sunshine-boy likes this.
  10. Umbra

Umbra From Emsisoft
    Developer

May 16, 2011
    Community manager
    Vietnam & France
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    SD is always monitored by Webroot (you can check it in Control Process in tray icon), you have to set SD as "allowed".

HarborFront likes this.
  11. HarborFront

HarborFront Level 34
    Content Creator

Oct 9, 2016
    Far East
    Ok noted. I'll do it the next time I have Webroot installed

Sunshine-boy likes this.
  12. Lockdown

Lockdown From AppGuard
    Developer

Oct 24, 2016
    You can have Webroot support whitelist every new version of SD. Webroot says this will eliminate the problems, but actually it does not. Try to show them documented evidence and they ignore it.

Sunshine-boy and HarborFront like this.
  13. HarborFront

HarborFront Level 34
    Content Creator

Oct 9, 2016
    Far East
    One question.

If you terminate the 2 SD processes in Windows Task Manager is SD(and Shadow Mode) truly terminated so that I can work on the real system without rebooting?

Apparently, SD does not provides protection for these 2 processes from being terminated

Thanks

14. Lockdown

Lockdown From AppGuard
    Developer

Oct 24, 2016
    I don't recall. I have not used SD in a long time. If you can terminate SD, then make sure it is not just the GUI processes - like the daemon - and the whole session is still virtualized. Test by navigating to those processes in the file system and manually re-starting. If that is the case, then nothing to get bent out of shape about. The session is protected.

HarborFront likes this.
  15. ichito

ichito Level 2

Dec 12, 2013
    Poland (Cracow)
    No...termination of SD process do nothing what means that you are still in SM - SD's service is still active and file diskpt0.sys created in protected disk (usualy system disk) in such mode still exists...it will be automaticaly deleted after reboot.

HarborFront and bribon77 like this.
  16. Andy Ful

Andy Ful Level 22

Dec 23, 2014
    business
    Poland
    Windows 10
    Microsoft
    If I correctly remember Webroot has a rollback feature, that helps to recover after infection. This is can conflict with Defender and may be the cause of start and shutdown issues.

HarborFront likes this.