Battle Shadow Defender vs Toolwiz Timefreeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Plexx

Paid product vs Free product.

TW requires a reboot automatically if you choose to drop all changes whilst in Frozen mode.

SD I haven't tested that much to comment.

Got to say however the stuff I threw at TW and then dropping the charges it was all fine. My only concern is if the infection automatically reboots the system what will happen to the changes in freeze mode...

BSOD

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Sep 29, 2012
Biozfear said:
Paid product vs Free product.

TW requires a reboot automatically if you choose to drop all changes whilst in Frozen mode.

SD I haven't tested that much to comment.

Got to say however the stuff I threw at TW and then dropping the charges it was all fine. My only concern is if the infection automatically reboots the system what will happen to the changes in freeze mode...

Yes, I realize that it is Paid vs Free but this poll was created just to know which one was better in terms of performance.

Thanks!

samit

Level 12
Verified
Nov 4, 2011
i can't open any program in toolwiz time freeze....my pc just freezes.....shadow defender is light so it is my choice....

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
I've used both and have had no problems with either one, but SD has a "bulletproof" reputation in the forums so I'd have to say SD is the most secure until someone finds a piece of malware that can bypass it which hasn't happened yet to my knowledge.

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
Biozfear said:
I voted for TTW but I am sure if SD was currently being taken care of by the developer, SD would be the better of the two.

Biozfear, I haven't had any malware automatically reboot the computer while using TTW or WTF but I am pretty sure the changes would be gone if that happened because in the past changes have been deleted when I have rebooted the computer after TF has been exited by a mistake by myself or because of an error while using the program. A couple of times, I have had to do a forced reboot because of freezing and when the machine reboots, the changes are gone.

I also seem this kind of behavior when using SBIE. In both cases, TF and SBIE, the driver takes care of the situation keeping the system intact.

Bo

mercurial

Level 6
Oct 3, 2012
Yes, I realize that it is Paid vs Free but this poll was created just to know which one was better in terms of performance.

Thanks!

I did try out TimeFreeze, i didn't really go into much details on ram usage or anything but i did not notice any kind of slowdown on my pc.

D

Deleted member 178

i didnt tried TTF since i am a fervent user of SD, it erased all malwares i tested under Shadow Mode. (not means it will block all).

the only problem i have with SD is that a reboot negate all changes unless comitted.

D

Deleted member 178

it is a problem because you can't test a software that need a reboot (most of AVs/FW) , only the korean SD-like software "Diskshot" allow a reboot, until you clearly set it to negate all changes at every boot; luckily i have Rollback RX.

When Diskshot will introduce a timeline feature (maybe in next version), i will not need RX and SD.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I prefer Shadow Defender over Time Freeze. I have tried both and although Time Freeze is a great piece of software for the price{free} I have to say SD.

bez

Level 1
Verified
Jul 25, 2014
i didnt tried TTF since i am a fervent user of SD, it erased all malwares i tested under Shadow Mode. (not means it will block all).

the only problem i have with SD is that a reboot negate all changes unless comitted.

Umbra, did you ever try to use TRY & DECIDE feature of ACRONIS TRUE IMAGE ?
I love Try & Decide. You can test progs there for as long you wish (as in Sandboxie).
Reboot / end of the current session - doesn't necessarily mean making decission upon applying or discarding changes.

I used to use T&D for GOTD giveaways. That way I'm not limited to 1 day testing only. I can wait with the final decission for as long as I need and apply (or flush) changes even after several days.
It's very useful feature if you're a busy person.
One can't use Sandboxie for that reason (while using Sandboxie, you can't just apply changes - like installed programs. Am I right ???).

D

Deleted member 178

I have acronis TI installed so T&D but i rarely used it, maybe i should take a deeper look on it ; but i am not sure about its efficiency against malwares (SD was made for it)

I am not sure if Sbie can commit an installation executed inside it, it can commit a download but an installation...

I have to dig into it too

bez

Level 1
Verified
Jul 25, 2014
I have acronis TI installed so T&D but i rarely used it, maybe i should take a deeper look on it ; but i am not sure about its efficiency against malwares (SD was made for it)

I know nothing about Acronis T&D antimalware efficiency since I used it to test rather safe software, mainly giveaways.
And the feature I loved most was just that reboot wasn't ruining my test period !

After reinstalling my system (W7 x64) few weeks ago I changed my imaging software. Instead of Acronis I am now using Paragon Disk Manager Pro (all disk & partition tasks including backup, preapering for vm and more.).
What I didn't like about Acronis was the whole bunch of startup entries and running processes + unnecessary tasks in Task Manager (I don't use incremental backups). This was the reason I switched to Paragon.
In order to keep my system slim I don't even have Paragon installed; I run it only from bootable cd. (that way chances are my backlup will be more reliable).

The only thing I really miss about Acronis is just T&D. I read this thread looking for replacement.
Got free Shadow Defence license . i appreciate its bullet proof safety, but still miss the features of T&D !
It looks like the only solution for having everyting in one app. would be Diskshot.
But the download isn't currently available from their site.
BTW do you know what's going on with Diskshot now ? I mean - after 2014-07-19 (deadline for free licenses) ?
Did they finally preapared any english translation ? Personally I doubt. Pity .... :-(((((

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 178

Diskshot was a big hope but seems the english version will never shows up, so for me it is a dead soft.

As you i also removed ATI but i made a bootable USB (i installed it just for that in fact ^^ ) so i still can use it if needed to restore the backup i did.

bez

Level 1
Verified
Jul 25, 2014
Diskshot was a big hope but seems the english version will never shows up, so for me it is a dead soft.

As you i also removed ATI but i made a bootable USB (i installed it just for that in fact ^^ ) so i still can use it if needed to restore the backup i did.

And what about T&D ? Is it also available from your pendrive ?
It would be very nice if it does since my license is still valid !

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.