Sharing Security tips! (by LDogg)

LDogg

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
I'm hoping these tips are helpful. And in which ways could I add more helpful info within this spoiler.

LDoggs recommended advice.

1. Make sure everything is on auto-update. This should include your AV, system utilities & web browser as important focal points.
This also includes but not limited to Microsoft Office, web browser extension(s)/plugins & more
2. Use an AV w/ on demand scanners. I would recommend Windows Defender for the normal home user, or if you are not confident enough you could use something stronger such as Kaspersky Free or Sophos Home Free.
With on demand scanners I would suggest to use Zemana Anti-Malware Free & Emsisoft Emergency Kit.
3. Make sure your passwords are not easily guessable. Make sure they're strong. Never use the same password for all websites, also 2-Factor Autentication will help make you more secure if in use. You can also use a Password Manager such as Keepass or Lastpass.
4. Encrypt everything (optional). Use something like Veracrypt if you wish to encrypt data for security purposes. This is to prevent any thief that's stolen your device(s) from gaining access to critical data.
5. Never ever leave your computer unattended ANYWHERE. Always make sure it's in sight or with you at all times. You never know who might be trying to gain access or steal it.
6. Always look at the URLs of emails which are sent to you. Websites will never ask for you personal details in emails. Never open emails attachments from recipients you do not know or trust. Always look at the spellings of emails too. Professional companies do not tend to have back punctuation & spelling.
7. Browsing habits, always look at the URL before you enter a site. If it looks dodgy or something doesn't look right it most likely isn't. eg; paypail.com, instead of paypal.com
8. Backup is essential to any security setup. Make sure to back up all important & personal data. This can be done weekly or monthly
9. Be careful when downloading software. Most adblocking extension stop this from adverts.
10. Never ever use pirate software or download from pirate sites, 9/10 it'll be virus infected.
11. Never install or download anything you aren't looking for.
12. Extensions I would recommend for real time protection: Netcraft + Malwarebytes.
13. Nano Adblocker or uBlock Origin are amazing adblocking extensions.
14. Always bookmark legitimate sites you frequently use especially banking sites. This helps you to stop falling prey to the fake & rogue sites
posing as the authentic one.

~LDogg

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Great list! I think you cover some very good but basic common sense habits that everyone should try to follow.

TBH alot of times, if not most of the time, following some basic/common sense guidelines will help keep you quite safe online. Sometimes it's easy to get caught up in the mind set that adding more and more programs and extensions will make you safer, however that's not always the case. A lot of times the more you add the more likely you can create problems and system instabilities, especially if you are doing it blindly and are just adding things just for the sake of it. Don't get me wrong there are lots of great software and extensions out there, but no setup is perfect and no matter how good they may be, you still have to have good basic, safe habits when surfing online. Sometimes its the simple things that make all the difference(y)

Reactions: LDogg
I

illumination

Sharing tips, will leave this here...

*Safe Habits*

-Knowledge: This should be the base of any good security configuration. Learning safer habits and utilizing your security as a "just in case" instead of trying to use many layers of applications to make up for lack of understanding.

-This should include the following aspects.

1. Be leery of clicking links especially in email or instant messages. Verify URL's, not only by manually looking at them, but also running them through URL scanners such as the one at Virus Total. If you are unsure still, the best course of action is to not click that link.

Bookmark important sites: A misspelled address could take you to a false site that mirrors the site you intended to go to. A book marked address will take you to the same site every time.

Passwords: In general you would be better off utilizing one of the many password managers, but as it often sometimes is, most average users do not, or can not, so keep this little bit of information in mind if this is the case.

Do not use the same password for all sites, if you are limited on what you can remember then please make sure to be careful and not use the same password for any of the sites you frequent as the ones you use for your email. If the site is to be breached, you would not want them to gain access to your email via same used passwords. Passwords should be strong, hard to guess or crack, password managers all have generators built in for building and storing strong passwords.

2. Updates/Patches:

Run maintenance on your system as you would a vehicle, consider it preventive maintenance. Always make sure to keep your system and applications patched. These patches and updates are for a good reason, they are plugging holes in your surface of attack. While i recommend keeping patched always, i would also state to do your research on certain updates for the OS/drivers/applications before applying, make sure there is not a fresh set of new bugs to contend with that are worse then what they are patching, this happens more often then most realize.

If you limit the amount of 3rd party applications on your system, you also limit the time doing maintenance, you limit the amount of freshly introduced bugs, and you keep your surface of attack smaller, and in the end, your machine will thank you for it by running better and being more enjoyable.

3. Back ups:

This is more important then security. No security out there can achieve 100% protection, if they could, they would already have a monopoly on the market and would have run all others out of business. Prepare for the worst, strive for the best.

Personal items are of the utmost important files on your system, once lost, they can not be replaced. Backing up externally or into the cloud "both recommended by me", so as to ensure you always have a copy of it obtainable. If something were to happen, you lose nothing this way, and can start freshly if needed.

Using images to create snapshots of your system works well for those who neither have the knowledge or time to repair/wipe a system. Windows has a built in option, although there are 3rd party options. It is a good idea also to keep on hand Microsofts media creation tool burnt to a flash drive, updated when needed. With this you can run repairs or wipe the system and build it from a clean install, which after a nasty infection, is always recommended to ensure you have eradicated the issue.

4. Security:

It has always been recommended for users to try applications for themselves. These products all have trials "most of them anyway", for this very reason. Test drive them for a couple weeks, does it fit your uses, is it running ok on your system and resources, are you comfortable with the settings and layout to get around and adjust it as necessary.

Learning the product is recommended here. Most throw them on with default settings and never venture in to settings to realize there is much more then meets the eye. Google search is handy for learning these, as are the manuals most of the products companies produce and are freely accessible. Watching youtube videos of a product will not help you decide what is best for you. You need to experience the product and settings to fully grasp it.

Understand you are a home user, and you are not targeted like corporations and businesses. The chances of you seeing sophisticated attacks and malware on that level are quite slim. There is no need for paranoia when you cover your basics, keep everything patched, backed up, use caution/safe habits when surfing.

Be careful what you divulge to websites "personal information", these as seen in the news are not as secure as they should be, once your information is in someone else's hands, anything can happen to it.

Know that the more security you pile on your system, the chances of incompatibilities/bugs arise and issues may occur. Finding a proper balance of application to knowledge ratio is fully recommended.

~illumination

LDogg

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Great list! I think you cover some very good but basic common sense habits that everyone should try to follow.

TBH alot of times, if not most of the time, following some basic/common sense guidelines will help keep you quite safe online. Sometimes it's easy to get caught up in the mind sent that adding more and more programs and extensions will make you safer, however that's not always the case. A lot of times the more you add the more you create problems and system instabilities, especially if you are doing it blindly and are just adding things just for the sake of it. Don't get me wrong there are lots of great software and extensions out there, but no setup is perfect and no matter how good they may be, you still have to have good basic, safe habits when surfing online. Sometimes its the simple things that make all the difference(y)
Thanks again! Great reply. Agree with a lot of this completely. Sometimes adding things can over complicate what you're trying to accomplish.

~LDogg

Reactions: ForgottenSeer 72227

Question

Level 3
Verified
Jun 22, 2018
Still satisfied with WiseCare? Almost my entire family currently uses Glary Utilities (except our Linux system) and they all love it! I have to say I only do Glary Utilities, CCleaner and Privacy Eraser. I have the question why did you remove Glary?

LDogg

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Still satisfied with WiseCare? Almost my entire family currently uses Glary Utilities (except our Linux system) and they all love it! I have to say I only do Glary Utilities, CCleaner and Privacy Eraser. I have the question why did you remove Glary?
Very much so. Has auto cleanup every Monday at 3pm. I removed Glary because I think Wise Care 365 does the same as bleachbit et al. So didn't need Glary Utilities on top. Means another software to update.

~LDogg

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
Make sure they're strong. Alpha-numerical always helps.
A strong password is important, but you should not use the same password for all websites. In addition, the secret tip is Two Factor Authentication. You probably know, but could you put it in your post?

Additionally, you could structure it better in
1) operating system,
2) browser tweaks and
3) tips for own behavior.

LDogg

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
A strong password is important, but you should not use the same password for all websites. In addition, the secret tip is Two Factor Authentication. You probably know, but could you put it in your post?

Additionally, you could structure it better in
1) operating system,
2) browser tweaks and
3) tips for own behavior.
I'll take this into consideration as well!

Reactions: AlanOstaszewski

LDogg

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Please do not take what i have started and twist into the very thing it is meant to help new users avoid. I do not care who takes credit for posting things as long as they get accomplished, just do not trash it in the process...

~illumination
That was not my intention. I'm trying to take away me from typing up every single software going with extensions etc etc :p

Edit: ignore this reply. I know you were replying to Askalan.

~LDogg

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.