shellyj2010's Config- need help

shellyj2010

Thread author
Aug 11, 2012
We would love some help on this- my general computer knowledge is probably between beginner and intermediate- I'm good at following instructions and finding help :)- but we have had at least 3 very nasty viruses in the last year and a half or so. My husband had solicited advice from his cousin and an independent IT guy he knows and that's how we ended up with one of the viruses :-/ We have not paid for anti-virus, etc in the past but not opposed to it if its necessary to protect our computer. Oh and my husband does alot of searching the internet for pics of airplanes (he's a model builder) and therefore doesn't always know the sites he's accessing from Google search. So, thanks in advance for any help and advice you can offer!

Malware Maniac

Level 1
May 14, 2012
RE: Our Config- need help

Upgrade Internet Explorer to version 9. If you feel vulnerable with FireFox then try Google Chrome with AdBlock, Bitdefender TrafficLight, and WOT (Web Of Trust)

On demand scanners I would recommend Emsisoft Emergency Kit.

I have seen your thread in the Malware Removal Assistance thread and saw you already used Hitman Pro.

Ps. Mclovin will ask this, Do you have a backup solution?

madyrocksin

Jul 30, 2012

shellyj2010 said:
Oh and my husband does alot of searching the internet for pics of airplanes (he's a model builder) and therefore doesn't always know the sites he's accessing from Google search.

Apart from this can you specify what kinda of activities are done on your computer, like gaming, trying new software, too many spam attachment email's being opened, etc ??

Z

ZeroDay

Also download and install Emet

Change your dns to either norton dns OR Comodo secure dns To change your dns see here Consider using Mvps hosts file just download 'hosts.zip', extract then right click on the bat file and select run as admin. I would also consider installing comodo internet security see here for setting it up for maximum security.

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011

Operating System: Good but can you upgrade to Vista SP2?

Real-time protection: Avast is better than all the free AV's imo, However, It needs not improvement and more work.
Since you are not really opposed to buying a paid solution, Here are my Recommendations:

Norton Internet Security 2012 Least Protection out of the three but still very good, Never experienced Slowdowns or any Tech issues.

Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 - Second Best Protection and my personal favorite, but It can be heavy with slight slowdowns but I'm on a 2GB RAM PC with outdated cards and it works fine with no slowdowns except for scanning and updating. Otherwise its fine and great!

Bitdefender Internet Security 2013 - Best Protection of the three but I had some bad experiences recently, Tech wise.

On-demand scanners: Good, You can add Hitman Pro, SuperAntiSpyware Free, and Emsisoft Emergency Kit.

Web Browser: If you don't trust FireFox, You should Upgrade IE to IE9 or You could add Google Chrome.
Tbh, You are really better off with Firefox than IE.

Addons:
IE: Not really familiar with IE, So i'm not sure what Addon's you could add.
Chrome: Adblock Plus - Same with Firefox.

Web Protection: Since you mentioned you do a lot of searching on the internet you can add Bitdefender Traffic Light and Web of Trust.

Backup: Do you use any Backup solutions? (McLovin should be here soon if you need to know anything about backups)

Utility: Ccleaner. Advanced SystemCare Free, and Auslogics disk defrag are great Utility Products.

Bootable Disks: If something goes wrong and you get something like a nasty Rootkit, Ransom, or any Malware infection that leaves your OS unusable for removal, I highly suggest you keep some Bootable Rescue Disks just incase.

I highly Recommend these:
Kaspersky Rescue Disk
Comodo Rescue Disk
Avira Rescue Disk

Other than that, You're good!
Welcome to MalwareTips! :D

shellyj2010

Thread author
Aug 11, 2012

Thanks Malware Maniac- yeah- in the last few days I've used lots of on-demand scanners- lol! Malwarebytes is the one we chose to keep since we can't use HitmanPro to remove anything unless we purchase a license which isn't out of the question if it's our best option. We just don't want to purchase something then find out it wasn't worth the money or there was a better option out there. Also, as of now we don't have a backup Solution. Until last year- I had never had a computer virus and was completely ignorant to the fact I was vulnerable. What are some good options for backup?

madyrocksin- we don't do much other than surfing the internet-I use Pinterest often (so sometimes click on links that are malicious through there) for both personal and my business use, our young children play games on sites like Lego.com or Nick.com. We don't really open email attachments- unless it's a file we were expecting to get from someone- we delete forwards pretty much on site- just as a rule. Our computer usage is mainly for my business documents and surfing the internet- it seems that our vulnerability has come through my husband's clicking on links when looking for airplane pics and my clicking on links from Pinterest that aren't what they seem.

P

Plexx

3link9 said:
Operating System: Good but can you upgrade to Vista SP2?

Real-time protection: Avast is better than all the free AV's imo, However, It needs not improvement and more work.
Since you are not really opposed to buying a paid solution, Here are my Recommendations:

Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 - Second Best Protection and my personal favorite, but It can be heavy with slight slowdowns but I'm on a 2GB RAM PC with outdated cards and it works fine with no slowdowns except for scanning and updating. Otherwise its fine and great!

Bitdefender Internet Security 2013 - Best Protection of the three but I had some bad experiences recently, Tech wise.

I am not so sure in recommending any of the 2 above products. KIS will slow down the computer and the OP is running Vista. Chances of having high ram and a fast processor are not that high.

BD2013 is also a not fully finished product. Remember they rushed out of Beta.

For Paid solution I would rather recommend Norton, ESET or even Panda (not cloud).

Hope this helps.

PS: Another recommendation is running Sandboxie for web browsing. I am sure someone here will have the link of the Sandboxie guide at hand.

shellyj2010

Thread author
Aug 11, 2012

Thanks everyone! Aready so much info! I'm definitely going to have to sift through and see what shakes out! Thansk again for taking the time to respond with advice!

D

Deleted member 178

I agree too, it the the best option for surfing in peace. you can add something like Rollback RX or Shadow Defender , in case your system is damaged , you just have to click one button and reboot then it get back to the state before the issue.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Only from what I have found with Windows Vista SP1 is that it's not that reliable, because it kept crashing for me, but since that I have updated to SP2 I think that it has fixed all the problems.

If you have the latest Firefox you should be fine, and if you do decided to install that or Chrome you could add just a couple of extensions to them, like Lastpass, WOT, Adblock Plus, and Ghostery.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Hello Shelly,
Real-time protection
Avast 7 Free is a good security product, however it's important to understand how most attacks work so you'll be able to avoid them because no security product can protect you from yourself.
If you practice a smart online behavior then you should really decrees your chances of getting infected. You can read some tips on how to avoid infections here: http://malwaretips.com/Thread-5-easy-tips-to-avoid-infections

Browser protection

Internet Explorer is a very target browser by the cyber criminals so my suggestion here would be to use either Firefox or Google Chrome because both are very often updated and have very strong protection layers.
My option here would be Google Chrome, mainly because it uses sandboxes to protect your sessions.

I would suggest also that you add the following addons to your browser:
Web of trust - site advisor,which can help you a lot when you're browsing the Internet.
Long story short...If it's red or yellow just avoid that website...
WOT (Free) - link
To help you avoid malicious sites you can use Web of Trust (WOT) a website rating browser plugin. After you add it to your browser make sure you only visit websites rated "Green" by WOT

Adblocker - an adblocker
For Firefox
Adblock Plus (Free) - link
Adblock is a content-filtering extension for Mozilla Firefox- and Mozilla Application Suite-based web browsers. Adblock allows users to prevent page elements, such as advertisements, from being downloaded and displayed.
For Chrome
Adblock Plus for Google Chrome (Free) - link
Adblock Plus for Google Chrome is a content-filtering extension for Google Chrome. Adblock allows users to prevent page elements, such as advertisements, from being downloaded and displayed.

On demand scanners

You should always upload all your downloads on virustotal.com and perform a scan with your on-demand to be checked for malware!

VTUploader (Free) - link
To upload a file to VirusTotal, you can visit the main analysis site, click the Browse button to select a file from your hard drive, and then click the Send file button. You can make this process even easier with the free VirusTotal Uploader utility. After installing it, you can simply right-click any file under 20MB and choose "VirusTotal" from the Send To Windows menu. The scan results will display in your browser as usual.

Hitman Pro (Trial ) - link
An on-demand scanner using multiple anti-malware engines and cloud technology. It offers unlimited free scanning but once you use it to remove detected malware it switches to a 30-day trial version. I recommend using it after you've scanned your hard-drive with the other products you have installed

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free (Free)- link
This product utilizes Malwarebytes powerful technology to detect and remove all traces of malware including worms, trojans, rootkits, rogues, dialers, spyware and more.

Virtualization:
Even if you submitted a file to virustotal.com and it said that it's clean , you'll need to run it in virtual environment because sometimes infection can be so new that security vendors don't have signs for it.

Virtualization software will allow you to browse the web or run another application in a completely safe environment. This is especially useful when visiting high-risk web sites, whether accidentally or deliberately, as the Web browser will be completely contained within the virtual enviroment, preventing any damage to your computer.
A sandbox can also be used to run any other applications which you think may be suspect - you can run the program inside the sandbox to determine whether or not it is safe while remaining completely protected against any malicious actions that it may try to carry out.
I strongly advise you to install Sandboxie and use it for when you're browsing the Internet or running shady/unknown programs.
Alternately you can try BufferZone PRO (Free) , another great virtualization software.
Sandboxie (Free/Paid) - link
Sandboxie runs your programs in an isolated space which prevents them from making permanent changes to other programs and data in your computer.

Always run suspicious of freshly downloaded files in a Sandboxie to verify that he download isn't compromised!Sandboxie will replicate perfectly your operating system so all the files should run without any problems in it.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.