shootfire's basic layered protection for low-risk use

shootfire

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 6, 2016
This is my basic low-risk config for my personal laptop, which is used behind a router w/ firewall 99% of the time. I want a no-frills, low memory footprint, always-on AV - no shredders, privacy checks, or the like. In addition, some sort of malicious url / website rating tool for the browser. Any suggestions of combos that fit the bill here would be appreciated. Avira AV Pro plus WebAdvisor is my favorite combo so far.

And this may sound crazy coming from a geek, but I really like McAfee Antivirus Plus. I like the interface and basic protection. I would use it if it didn't use so much da*n memory - 250MB at idle is insane, when others with equally good protection use a tenth of that. Same with Bitdefender products. While they may have good protection, there is no excuse for using so much memory (Bitdefender Antivirus used almost 200MB at my last check). Sure, most current PCs can handle that memory use, but it's just unnecessary. OK, rant over.

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

@shootfire Secure and simple configuration, only thing you need to do is add to the title 'Shootfire's' so people easily know who's it is in correspondence with the rules :)

Reactions: CySecy825

shootfire

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 6, 2016
Hmm, strict. lol. Done.

Also, curious what people think about Web of Trust. Or maybe that should be for another forum. If so, disregard

shukla44

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 14, 2016
Very nice config. Suits the title in every point. :)

One suggestion: You might want to consider some sort of password manager as built in browser is not very safe. There are many free & paid alternatives available.

Other than that, you are good to go. Thanks for sharing. :);)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
So far so good for your configuration.

Another alternative combination for light footprint is Bitdefender Free but unfortunately not compatible on Windows 10.

Anyway you may conduct system image back with the use of Windows System Image Backup or third party programs.

D

Deleted member 178

Approved by Staff

2s9jymOt.jpg

Consider a system image backup software.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.