Q&A Should I enable or disable Windows Fast Startup?

Bundled with PUP
None
OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Emsisoft
Thanks guys. Another question, should I turn off prefetch and superfetch on SSD with OS installed? For some reason, Windows enabled superfetch and prefetch on my SSD that has Windows installed.

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 63
OS
Windows 10
To expand the original question a little, what about Secure boot? How important is it?
The downside of Secure boot is you can't run programs if they have drivers not co-signed by Microsoft. This is particularly common in beta testing of new products. The dev usually doesn't send his drivers to be co-signed -- a process that costs hundreds of dollars and takes a lot of time -- until he finishes them.

OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Emsisoft
superfetch disable automatically on ssd by default
Not on my end. I just check the service, and the superfetch service is running and it is set automatic. I do have 2 other HDD for games as well. All I do is disable superfetch and prefetch through registry and service for superfetch.

Evjl's Rain

Level 37
Content Creator
Trusted
AV-Tester
OS
Windows 8.1
Antivirus
Avast
Thanks guys. Another question, should I turn off prefetch and superfetch on SSD with OS installed? For some reason, Windows enabled superfetch and prefetch on my SSD that has Windows installed.
it's better to disable them
they are used to speed up app loading but you have SSD already so they totally not needed or you won't notice much difference. The only think you might notice is increased disk activity => not good for SSD

about fast startup, it's up to you
I'm using HDD so it's a must for me
for SSD, you might not need it

To expand the original question a little, what about Secure boot? How important is it?
The downside of Secure boot is you can't run programs if they have drivers not co-signed by Microsoft. This is particularly common in beta testing of new products. The dev usually doesn't send his drivers to be co-signed -- a process that costs hundreds of dollars and takes a lot of time -- until he finishes them.
I thought it was specifically for kernel drivers

Forgot your password?