Should I enable or disable Windows Fast Startup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Thanks guys. Another question, should I turn off prefetch and superfetch on SSD with OS installed? For some reason, Windows enabled superfetch and prefetch on my SSD that has Windows installed.

Last edited:
Reactions: vtqhtr413

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
To expand the original question a little, what about Secure boot? How important is it?
The downside of Secure boot is you can't run programs if they have drivers not co-signed by Microsoft. This is particularly common in beta testing of new products. The dev usually doesn't send his drivers to be co-signed -- a process that costs hundreds of dollars and takes a lot of time -- until he finishes them.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
superfetch disable automatically on ssd by default

Not on my end. I just check the service, and the superfetch service is running and it is set automatic. I do have 2 other HDD for games as well. All I do is disable superfetch and prefetch through registry and service for superfetch.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Thanks guys. Another question, should I turn off prefetch and superfetch on SSD with OS installed? For some reason, Windows enabled superfetch and prefetch on my SSD that has Windows installed.
it's better to disable them
they are used to speed up app loading but you have SSD already so they totally not needed or you won't notice much difference. The only think you might notice is increased disk activity => not good for SSD

about fast startup, it's up to you
I'm using HDD so it's a must for me
for SSD, you might not need it

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
To expand the original question a little, what about Secure boot? How important is it?
The downside of Secure boot is you can't run programs if they have drivers not co-signed by Microsoft. This is particularly common in beta testing of new products. The dev usually doesn't send his drivers to be co-signed -- a process that costs hundreds of dollars and takes a lot of time -- until he finishes them.
I thought it was specifically for kernel drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.