Advice Request Should I Enable Windows Defender Periodic Scanning?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

BearHug

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 9, 2017
I'm currently using avast premier and I've turned off Windows Defender a long ago.. Should I enable Windows Defender Periodic Scanning?

Reactions: Deletedmessiah

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
Edit: Seems I might have misunderstood. Might be a good idea to enable it.

Last edited:

dinosaur07

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 5, 2012
Leave it turned off, Avast is better and is not advisable to have 2 AVs running. I don`t thinks that WD could be seen as 2nd opinion scanner. It it safer to have only one AV enabled.

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
Leave it off, Avast will do all the work alone, never forget the basic security rule: Never use two AVs on the same system.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
not advisable to have 2 AVs running. I don`t thinks that WD could be seen as 2nd opinion scanner.
Limited periodic scanning is designed to be use when you have another antivirus installed, so it is fine to use it.
Enable the limited periodic scanning feature in Windows Defender AV
Limited periodic scanning is a special type of threat detection and remediation that can be enabled when you have installed another antivirus product on a Windows 10 device.
It it safer to have only one AV enabled.
Usually that is true, but there are cases such as this, when an antivirus has been designed to be compatible with other antivirus software.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
1 Turning it on will give you a second opinion, which is good.
2 It is not active protection, so there is no problem running it with another AV, as many posters already pointed out.
3 When it is scanning, it might slow down your computer. But if you leave the lid open on your laptop when you walk away from your computer for a period of time, it will do the scan while you are away. Same principle with a desktop. Leave it running, and signed in to your user account. Okay for it to be locked (showing lock screen)

Reactions: roger_m

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
some reasons why you should NOT enable it although you can
1/ poor detection rate compare to other second opinion scanners: HMP, ZAM, NPE, EEK
2/ slow scanning speed
3/ if enabled, WD still downloads signatures and stays on your memory and consumes your resources. WD consumes a lot of resources when it's updating
4/ potential conflicts with your AVs
5/ WD can't fully utilize its cloud. The cloud works best when a file is executed. 2 scans can yield different detection rates

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.