• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

soccer97

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
May 22, 2014
I am currently running ESET Smart Security v8.0.319.0. I have 60 days left on my license before it expires. Should I upgrade to version 9? It seems like it may have enhanced protection and more features. I also read that some are having issues.

Version 8 trial expired yesterday, so no protection. I have a license, just don't want to use another activation if I should upgrade. ESET is closed weekends.

I am running:

Windows 7 SP1 64-bit
4GB RAM
May install HitmanPro.Alert

I may reinstall windows around Christmas.

It is a "production" laptop used for school and personal purposes.

Please let me know.

Last edited:
Reactions: Logethica

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Version 9 is running fine for me on both Windows 7 SP1 & Windows 10 Home & Pro
I would upgrade although you have to convert your Username & Password license to an activation code in version 9
You can convert it here myESET
I am not sure what you mean that trial expired but your license has 60 days left on it? or are you talking about 2 different machines?
Do you need a trial on the PC that the trial expired to try out version 9?

I

illumination

Some users have had issues just upgrading to the next version, some have not. A clean install of Eset V9 on my system is running absolutely wonderful though "windows 10", and something I always recommend when a software goes through some major changes.

soccer97

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
May 22, 2014
Version 9 is running fine for me on both Windows 7 SP1 & Windows 10 Home & Pro

Thanks for the fast reply!

I would upgrade although you have to convert your Username & Password license to an activation code in version 9
You can convert it here myESET
I am not sure what you mean that trial expired but your license has 60 days left on it? or are you talking about 2 different machines?
Do you need a trial on the PC that the trial expired to try out version 9?

New Hdd, trial of ESS 8 after installing W7 (already had license but didn't want to hassle with a possible activation issue w/ ESET before testing HDD). My personal license expires in 60 days. Single Machine.

soccer97

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
May 22, 2014
Better completely remove the version 8 if you are insist to install a higher version. Just as assurance no any leftovers may cause problematic processes.

I have read stories that some users are having issues with SSL connections and protected browsing. Are you suggesting to use ESET's uninstall tool or just the standard Windows 7 uninstall (I also have Revo Uninstaller Pro).

Making a long story short:

In general for ex, when I used Kaspersky Software, I learned at least with them to try to wait until MR1 and the first patch for that was released. From what I have heard, this release (or ESET in general) tends to provide significantly better finished/more stable programs as RTM release than Kaspersky.

I prefer advanced protection from flash 0-days and we have been warned that other people in our domain are experiencing phishing attacks via email and now phone as well (possible stolen info) (Idk if it's only phishing or malicious links but it is persistent. I got a fake Mailbox full email). Well, and in general. Also want to make sure that v9 doesn't screw up my PC. Rollback is installed, and I need to update it too.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well observe that bug issue through websites you browse, it seems happens localized scenario.

Definitely use ESET Uninstall tool or 3rd party tool as to retrieve and clean any remnants after the removal process.

Reactions: soccer97

soccer97

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
May 22, 2014
Some users have had issues just upgrading to the next version, some have not. A clean install of Eset V9 on my system is running absolutely wonderful though "windows 10", and something I always recommend when a software goes through some major changes.

It appears that the trial version provides minimal protection once expired, just no updates. I was wondering if Release channel has had the program update pushed to them via update yet (ESS v 7 and 8 users), or if it is still a manual download and install only.

I may just go ahead and use the activation for ESS 8 or 9. I am sure ESET will fix if necessary and I don't anticipate many issues.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
The ESET uninstall tool at least for ESS requires reading and following specific instructions.It will also remove your net adapters drivers leaving you without an internet connection on reboot.If you do not have the drivers prior to that either saved on your machine or to an external drive your going to need another PC to get them.
It requires running in safe mode with elevated privileges.It does remove the program and all remnants however it's purpose is really for uninstalling ESET that cannot be uninstalled either by control panel or via a 3rd party uninstaller.
I would suggest not trying to remove it via ESET Uninstall Tool unless the uninstall fails via conventional uninstall methods.
A new program version such a s 7 to 8 or 8 to 9 requires a new download and installation
Once a trial version expires the virus signature database will no longer be updated unless you reactivate the program.Normally the trial is the same as the retail version as the only difference is it says "Trial" on the home UI.Running the expired trial without updates will definitely jeopardize your protection.
I would suggest uninstalling ESET via control panel or a 3rd party uninstaller then downloading and installing version 9.
If you follow the license conversion link I posted in my other reply you should have no issues on version 9 concerning the license and subsequent activation.
If you need a little trial extension PM me and I will see what I can do.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.