Advice Request Should i stick with ESET?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

uduoix

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 14, 2015
OK guys my ESET licence will expire in few days and i don't know if i should renew. I'm a little out of AV world since i've been using ESET for 5+ years now and didn't check other products. What would you guys recommend? I want software to be light on the system and this is what i really like about ESET. I'm looking emsisoft internet security but it doesn't get best results in AV labs (maybe i should't trust them too much). Thank you

S3cur1ty 3nthu5145t

Level 6
Verified
May 22, 2017
OK guys my ESET licence will expire in few days and i don't know if i should renew. I'm a little out of AV world since i've been using ESET for 5+ years now and didn't check other products. What would you guys recommend? I want software to be light on the system and this is what i really like about ESET. I'm looking emsisoft internet security but it doesn't get best results in AV labs (maybe i should't trust them too much). Thank you
If Eset has been working for you that long, I would suggest sticking with it.

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
Emsisoft is better than ESET when it comes to malware that doesn't have a signature yet. ESET has more signatures usually but malware/ransomware that manages to execute will get slipped through ESET.

ESET is the lightest AV on the market since it's coded in pure assembly.

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
Don't believe too much to independent labs, Emsisoft is a great product that I use since many years and no infection.
You can download the trial version trying it, or go back to ESET, but the important thing is testing yourself.
that test was fine for Emsisoft, only it looked bad cause it tends to ask you what to do, and they marked it as "user dependent", but in reality, the recommended action is always highlighted.

S3cur1ty 3nthu5145t

Level 6
Verified
May 22, 2017
Emsisoft is better than ESET when it comes to malware that doesn't have a signature yet. ESET has more signatures usually but malware/ransomware that manages to execute will get slipped through ESET.

This may be quite true on default settings, but a user always has the option of enabling interactive mode with both the firewall and hips, and it certainly changes the tune a little ;)

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
Emsisoft:
cons: Heavy ,little Buggy, Slow Down System, false positive
pros: Strong BB
Eset:
cons: Worst BB
pros:Fast,Great signature,No slow down system.
both of them have great support,btw Eset is bigger than Emsisoft , If you really do't have problem with Eset,stick with it :)
and so Emsisoft update is a little heavy...

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014

Not "that light",Also Panda is lighter...:rolleyes:

Reactions: spaceoctopus

In2an3_PpG

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 15, 2016
cons: Heavy ,little Buggy, Slow Down System

Not everyone will experience this. :p

@uduoix, you state you have been using ESET for 5+ years with no problems. I see no real reason to switch then. Like they say "don't fix whats not broken".

If you do look towards Emsisoft just know they have one hell of a BB (Behavioral Blocker) and one hell of a support team.

Durden

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Dec 21, 2013
As they mentioned before , Emsisoft is better than ESET . and it's also light.
I recommend you ditch ESET , until they do something about their 0-day protection, and go for Emsisoft or Norton (imo it's lighter than eset) but do not buy a licence before you trial them first to see how they work for you.
Kaspersky , is getting lighter and lighter also . (I'm using the 2018 version)
so that's it ,Norton or Emsisoft , I think you'll be happy with either of them .;):)

W

WolfensteinXeen

Eset is still considered and respected as one of the best AV in the industry, but there are also many other alternatives at least as good out there.

So in my opinion you have 2 choices:

1: You don't feel like changing and are perfectly happy with Eset. Then stick with it, especially if you don't have problems with it. It still a top notch product.

2: You fell you want to try some other alternatives, either because Eset is lacking some functionalities or simply just to try something new. Then why not giving a try to some other AV ? Bitdefender, Kaspersky, Emsisoft, Norton and Trend Micro are amongst the best. By doing so, not only will you try some other AV and check out if they are better, you will also have a few months of free antivirus protection as they mostly have a free 30 days trial.

I hope i helped ;)

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
I would encourage you to also refer to the Malware Hub results of different AVs than solely relying on the AV Test Lab reports. Also, please do NOT base your decision on either of them alone.
Emsisoft is a light AV and one that you are probably looking for. Following the recommended alerts, you will be in a quite better position. The cloud anti-malware network they have, offers a very impressive protection against the undetected risky files of most types.
Another one is Kaspersky. Wait, it may be occasionally heavy on some systems, but some modifications in the "Performance" section helps.
Also, the 2018 version that will be out sometime soon (currently an RC) is found to be noticeably lighter than the earlier ones.
Your only concern if you go with KIS/KTS may be to effectively manage the "Application Control" module therein, that dynamically restricts applications based on their trust level calculated from different factors.

ESET has more signatures usually but malware/ransomware that manages to execute will get slipped through ESET.
I'm sure you meant "in quite some cases" and not all get slipped through ;)
I'll agree on this point. The engine is awesome, the Company's research work is well put. They were one of the very few who could in the early times block the Wannacry attack before DoublePulsar backdoor was installed.
However, it has a not-so-strong protection at default settings. @uduoix with some hardening (if you think you can stretch to more advanced) you can fairly improvise it. There are a lot of guides available to fortify ESET HIPS and more.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.