Advice Request Should I switch to Firefox?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danielx64

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 24, 2017
So at late, I see that Firefox is starting to include more options that I am starting to feel that would be useful:

Stop canvas fingerprinting
Tracking Protection features

So is it time to jump ship yet? Also the fact that there is a portable version also appeal to me as well.

Antimalware18

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
Personaly, I prefer Chrome. I've used firefox off and on for the past few years and each time I keep going back to chrome. My reasons? chrome just feels a bit more "polished" to me, under the hood and the GUI as well. Not as clunky.

I do have a bit of nostalgia though, I remember back when I was using I.E 6 in high school then they released the upgrade to I.E 7 which introduced tabbed browsing
then I gave firefox a try and was taken in with all the addons and customizability.

grumpy_joe

Level 1
Verified
Oct 18, 2017
So at late, I see that Firefox is starting to include more options that I am starting to feel that would be useful:

Stop canvas fingerprinting
Tracking Protection features

So is it time to jump ship yet? Also the fact that there is a portable version also appeal to me as well.

Quantum doesn't support some of my favourite extensions yet. So I wouldn't go so far :(
Get a stable version.

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Personaly, I prefer Chrome. I've used firefox off and on for the past few years and each time I keep going back to chrome. My reasons? chrome just feels a bit more "polished" to me, under the hood and the GUI as well. Not as clunky.

I do have a bit of nostalgia though, I remember back when I was using I.E 6 in high school then they released the upgrade to I.E 7 which introduced tabbed browsing
then I gave firefox a try and was taken in with all the addons and customizability.
Same here. Firefox always felt sluggish, no matter which PC I'm using. And when I'm loading page with huge number of elements, I often get "not responding". Chrome is faster at startup and does not have this issues. When webpage freezes Chrome (which is very rare), only that tab is frozen, not the whole browser.

I've tried Firefox Quantum and I love it! It's nothing like classic Firefox and it's really fast and stable. The only thing missing are extensions so we'll have to wait a little bit more for them.

Can't wait till tomorrow! :D

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
x64, I guess you've got a newer computer with good specs. (Firefox can be a problem on an old computer, but so is Google Chrome.) Firefox has a great extensions store. Chrome has made progress, but I don't think it's caught up. Pale Moon is a premium quality browser that uses the Mozilla extension store that also deserves your consideration.

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
If you have PC with weak specs like mine, you'll have to manually enable multi process. Without multi process, Firefox Quantum's performance isn't so good.
Two of my PCs have Quad Core processors (desktop PC has Intel and laptop AMD CPU). Both PCs have an 8 GB of RAM and the while the old Firefox is sluggish, Firefox Quantum works great.

How do I enable that? I'd like to see if I can increase performance even more. :)

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
Two of my PCs have Quad Core processors (desktop PC has Intel and laptop AMD CPU). Both PCs have an 8 GB of RAM and the while the old Firefox is sluggish, Firefox Quantum works great.

How do I enable that? I'd like to see if I can increase performance even more. :)
I think its enabled in your PC by default, my PC has 4 GB Ram so it was disabled there. You can change settings on Options>General>Performance, untick recommended settings and change content process limit higher if its only set at 1. I changed mine to 7, the maximum available for me, I think more than 7 is available for better PCs.
If you have higher content process limit already, tick back recommended settings

Last edited:

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
@conceptualclarity
Does Pale Moon use the last features of firefox? like 2x faster and 30% less memory? xd

I'm not completely current on PaleMoon because it has quit supporting my OS, but I imagine that's not a problem for you. PaleMoon has historically been faster and lighter than Firefox, and one would expect they would try to maintain that. PaleMoon is definitely not in the category with SeaMonkey, Wyzo, etc. It's an ambitious browser with competent Swedish leadership.

Folks who are current on PaleMoon, please do fill in the details.

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
I think its enabled in your PC by default, my PC has 4 GB Ram so it was disabled there. You can change settings on Options>General>Performance, untick recommended settings and change content process limit higher if its only set at 1. I changed mine to 7, the maximum available for me, I think more than 7 is available for better PCs.
If you have higher content process limit already, tick back recommended settings
I've just installed a final version of Firefox Quantum and looks like it was set to 4 by default. It's a little bit faster now that I've set to 7.

However, it does use more RAM than Chrome. I have opened 6 tabs in Chrome with 3 extensions running and it uses 537 MB of RAM. Firefox Quantum with 3 tabs opened and without add-ons uses around 737 MB of RAM on my PC (with default settings). :X3:

Last edited:

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Whats the highest process limit available in the settings for you?
Screenshot_1.png

Now is 1 set as default. :LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.