Advice Request Should I switch to Firefox?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danielx64

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 24, 2017
So at late, I see that Firefox is starting to include more options that I am starting to feel that would be useful:

Stop canvas fingerprinting
Tracking Protection features

So is it time to jump ship yet? Also the fact that there is a portable version also appeal to me as well.

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
@Danielx64 I would jump ship! Personally, I feel as though Firefox is not data mining everything. Not saying that I have any proof or that Google Chrome is, but one cannot be too careful. Firefox is more open in my own humble opinion. Been using Firefox for many many years now without any issues. I would highly recommend making the switch!

When anyone makes the jump I'd recommend that everyone use HTTPS Everywhere, and uBlock Origin for added security. Both are solid security add-ons.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
So at late, I see that Firefox is starting to include more options that I am starting to feel that would be useful:

Stop canvas fingerprinting
Tracking Protection features

So is it time to jump ship yet? Also the fact that there is a portable version also appeal to me as well.
I would say "switch to Firefox" if it feels right for you. Given the new features, it's hard not to try it. :)

Better yet, there's no need for an "either-or" option. Just download, install and use Firefox Quantum, while leaving Google Chrome installed. So, when you want to use Chrome, you can just use it immediately.

As to me, I would probably try out Firefox Quantum when it's released. Currently, I'm using Google Chrome and Pale Moon. :)

Danielx64

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 24, 2017
When anyone makes the jump I'd recommend that everyone use HTTPS Everywhere, and uBlock Origin for added security. Both are solid security add-ons.
I have heard of those addons but I won't need to install the uBlock one since I have Adguard installed system wide so i'm covered in that regard.
Better yet, there's no need for an "either-or" option. Just download, install and use Firefox Quantum, while leaving Google Chrome installed. So, when you want to use Chrome, you can just use it immediately.

I will be leaving Google Chrome installed until I get used to Firefox :) Is there an RC version of Firefox Quantum or only beta?

Flengo

Level 2
Verified
Oct 19, 2017
I would definitely suggest moving to Firefox. 57 will be released to the stable channel in a few days and with it comes better security (sandboxing) and a big speed improvement. Firefox is also much more respectable when it comes to the privacy it gives its users. Also, the add-on store is safer than Chrome's because it uses humans to review add-ons before they are released to the public.

Moving from Chrome to Firefox is something I don't regret at all. :)

Danielx64

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 24, 2017
Well here I am:
upload_2017-11-11_15-58-31.png

So far so good :)

GonzitoVir

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
May 16, 2017
Firefox has been my main browser since version 1.5 or a little earlier (when Mozilla.com (or was it Firefox.com?) was owned by other company who later transferred it to the Mozilla community) . I don't regret using it, it has improved a lot during these years.

Last edited:

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
Firefox has been my main browser since version 1.5 or a little earlier (when Mozilla.com (or was it Firefox.com?) was owned by other company who later transferred it to the Mozilla community) . I don't regret using it, it has improved a lot during these years.

Hehe Netscape Navigator once had a market share of over 90%, then Internet Explorer came bundled with Windows.

A

antreas

I switched back to chrome yesterday. I had problems with Firefox, I am on firefox version 58 and on add-ons page it says i am on version 52 and i can't download add-ons i did browser refresh 2 times in last 2 weeks it got fixed for some days and came the error back yesterday that was the time i said no more going back to chrome canary.

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
@Danielx64 if you want more security settings on Chrome you should try other chromium browsers.
Vivaldi,Cent and Slimjet offer much more settings than Chrome.
I personally use Cent in which offers me a setting to block canvas fingerprint and of course tracking protection.
As for changing to FF i think it'a good choice.
I am trying Nightly since v.55 or 56 and i am surprised by it's performance.
The only thing that FF is a step back is in sector of watching live streaming games,videos.
Cent is using less CPU and RAM than FF but i believe in the next releases FF will fix this issue.
@antreas i am using Nightly and never had this problem.Maybe you should try to uninstall it and reinstall it

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.