Advice Request Should I switch to Firefox?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danielx64

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 24, 2017
So at late, I see that Firefox is starting to include more options that I am starting to feel that would be useful:

Stop canvas fingerprinting
Tracking Protection features

So is it time to jump ship yet? Also the fact that there is a portable version also appeal to me as well.

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
i have some issues in youtube, the videos stops for a seconds but the audio keeps running. very weird, only happen in firefox
Problems of occasional inconsistencies on certain machines can happen with a newly launched project, videos in high resolution on youtube (1080p60) have always run smoother in Chrome and Opera, Firefox is practically being born again, obviously the acceleration will not be fully mature , this is a matter of time, and future updates.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
I like the new FF, especially if...the system RAM memory usage reaches a peak and holds. Over a 2.5 day boot with FF open (8 tabs) perpetually system RAM is already up to 78% and has peaked at 84% with FF and Chrome both open. With Chrome alone open it takes about 5-6 days to get to this level but with 20 or so tabs. However, Chrome will bust through the ceiling and completely crash the system with an out of virtual memory error at around 88-90% of RAM usage.

It's really all the apps that climb, but I am mostly looking to see if FF has any clever memory management tricks in the program to keep the system from going too high in general. If so, I have to say it would be a big success in my mind.

NOTE: Not sure that the 2.5 days to 78% will happen after every boot. That's very fast that the system has gotten to that level overall. However, this is the also first boot with 57 running so it could change. RAM usage on a system with Chrome running always will increase like clockwork over 7 days until this system crashes and becomes unusable usually on the 8th day. Other programs running on the system include 360 TS, Comodo Firewall, Zemana AM (real-time), EMET 5.5. They are all using increasing amounts of RAM over the boot period and clearly contribute. If the system crashes stop with FF, that will be good enough for me though, as my experiences on this system running Chrome for about the last year have been identical->8 days and crash every time (or reboot in 7 days). OS is W7 Pro and 8 GB.

Last edited:

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
I am trying out palemoon now, for the first time, and for me it seems to win the speed contest, so far. What do you guys say about palemoon?
I'm a long time user of Pale Moon. But, in my own experience, it lags/hangs easily and more frequently on "heavy" sites, e.g., Facebook and Twitter, unlike Firefox Quantum and Google Chrome. :)

So, good for you that it runs very well. :)

I still have Pale Moon on my laptop, though. :cool:

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
From security point of view Vista or Wndows 7 YES, (partly RUST) , when on Windows 8,1 or Windows 10 NO (chrome has (appcontainer) .

When security is not your first priority or you have sufficient measures taken to make security irrelevant: let the user experience/preference decide.

Reactions: plat1098

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016

Haha I used firefox when it was the market leader with 90% market share in the browser market. In those days the browser was called Netscape Navigator and the internal project name was Mozilla. Firefox started as Firebird. Firebird and the mail program (yes Thunderbird) were parts of the Mozilla suite. Firebird was changed to Firefox to distinguis the browser from the Firebird Data Base server software (an open SQL server data base). I stopped using Firefox when other browsers appeared with Low Intergity Level architecture (which reduced the attack surface to basic user/medium level processes massively).

But then I am on old guy who was flabbergasted when we switched from punch cards/printouts to keyboard with green screens as means to program computers and total memory of mainframes increased from 64 KB to 256KB, allowing the maximum size of a single program to increase from 16KB to a whopping 64KB. :sleep:

Last edited:

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
Mozialla dev's most likely did know that they had to offer multi-process with multi Integrity Level architecture without XUL giving access to low level browser functionality. I am a gIad they kicked out all those risky stuff and even turned the table by slowly migrating to RUST, a language which does not have the memory integrity problems of C++

Honesty need to be told that Chrome 62 raised the bar by allowing only Microsoft signed DLL's after browser (another mitigation to protect Chrome from unwanted DLL-injection).

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.