Advice Request Should I unblock any of these apps?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

camo7782

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Apr 29, 2019
I noticed that comodo blocked some app that should be safe, but not sure if to unblock or just leave it be:

464b6a77.jpg

Reactions: [correlate]

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I noticed that comodo blocked some app that should be safe, but not sure if to unblock or just leave it be:

464b6a77.jpg
Comodo is making a total mess. As usual, it is blocking system files. That's why I can't stand it.
By the way, it is blocking OSArmor from functioning properly, and some of your other programs.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
On my wife's laptop, Comodo is well behaved. But on my desktop, which has very generic hardware, it invariably makes a mess. Both are Windows 10 x64 1809. I can't figure it out.

Stuff like this makes me want to simplify even more. Either WD with a layer to cover exploits, or just a suite. Anything requiring extensive set up and constant tweaking is exhausting.

Threadripper

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2019
Stuff like this makes me want to simplify even more. Either WD with a layer to cover exploits, or just a suite. Anything requiring extensive set up and constant tweaking is exhausting.
If you want set and forget I'd go with Sophos, literally the only AV I would install and not change a single setting with, because the defaults are both simple and optimal.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
If you want set and forget I'd go with Sophos, literally the only AV I would install and not change a single setting with, because the defaults are both simple and optimal.

I don’t mind tweaking to start, but when the program slowly needs constant attention it gets old. I use WD with OS Armor right now and it fits. But my tweaks seem to not need constant babysitting.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Try Kaspersky Internet Security 2020 with Trusted Applications Mode. Very light and very effective. It was just made available for download, prior to official release.

I’ve been considering joining the bandwagon. I still have an eset license for 10 months, but it’s a bit redundant with the Gryphon.

back to my question, except for OSA what other app should I unlock?

Sorry to hijack your thread my friend.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
back to my question, except for OSA what other app should I unlock?
The answer is too complicated because there are two kinds of unlock: only for the mechanism that blocked it, and for all mechanisms. Some need this one, and some need that one.
Also, unblocking will add a trust rule for the file, whereas in some cases, it is better to whitelist the vendor.
And we don't totally know all your software.
So in short, IMHO you should get rid of Comodo fast.

Tiny

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Dec 29, 2016

HIPS is definitely not for everyone. You have to KNOW what you are doing before switching it on or you could potentially mess up your pc. Since you seem determined to use it though, from your screenshots, I strongly advise that you read the manual thoroughly and Check up on whatever windows feature has been blocked by googling it.

Also...you don't need CF HIPS if:

1. You trust COMODO's file ratings
2. Anything run in the sandbox is run with heavily restricted access rights
3. Outbound connections are blocked using CS' settings

camo7782

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Apr 29, 2019
whereas in some cases, it is better to whitelist the vendor.

But OSA vendor is whitelisted by default, why it got blocked?

6c5c6b2d.jpg

I agree. I got rid of Comodo
Really? But it is so featured right in this forum :(

Check up on whatever windows feature has been blocked by googling it.
When it just says "System" what do I need to search?

Also...you don't need CF HIPS if:
I've set it up with @cruelsister settings like I read on this forum, I know she disabled it, but some people sustained it can add an extra protection should the sandbox fail, it was a few threads ago if I remember correctly.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.