Status
Not open for further replies.

MrExplorer

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
Hello everyone,
Today i was just finding the updated driver software for my Motherboard on Intel Website there i found that the BIOS version used by my Motherboard is very old.

1. Should i update my BIOS or not.
2. what are the advantaged of Updating BIOS.
3. With the BIOS updated do i need to download the latest the driver software.

Last edited:

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
You need to read the changelogs posted on the download page and make sure the BIOS update applies to your motherboard.
It is not unusual for a BIOS firmware to be several years old. If their no benefits in the changelogs then don't worry about updating your BIOS. If you need to update your BIOS follow the directions posted on the download page.

Intel usually provides documentations and help guides.

Thanks. :D

D

Deleted member 178

beware that upgrading BIOS is subject to failure and will make your motherboard broken.

1- if you suffer performances/compatibility issues and the changelogs of the latest BIOS said it fix that, do it; if not dont bother with it;
2- Bettter handling of the various chipsets, improved performances, better compatibility
3- Yes and No, it is recommended to install the latest drivers even with old BIOS; but the new bios will normally not have influence on your drivers except the motherboard one.

On your manufacturer websites you will have all the infos needed normally; google the new BIOS and check if other users had issues with it; sometimes the new one is worse than the original one.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I am currently using Windows 8.1 its working like a charm. But there is a BIOS update which added support to Windows 8, So i am confused i should update or not
Windows 8 should be supported by old BIOS, I installed Windows 8 to a system with a BIOS from 2004.

But the secure boot feature might not be supported as it isn't on most older BIOS.
Check to see if that is what the changelog is talking about.

If so, then the BIOS update may provide benefits but beware updates to the BIOS don't always go as well as expected.
If you decide to update then read all info from the website about what to do if things go wrong and use precautions.

Enjoy!! :D

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
One would really need to know the brand of motherboard that you are using. Some brands (like Asus) have a long history of trouble free BIOS update routines, whereas for other brands this is not the case.

Reactions: Deleted member 178
D

Deleted member 178

One would really need to know the brand of motherboard that you are using. Some brands (like Asus) have a long history of trouble free BIOS update routines, whereas for other brands this is not the case.

i own 2 Asus laptops, even i know that , i don't take the risk to do it.

offtopic: ASUS ROXX :D

Reactions: Venustus

SifhX

Level 4
Verified
Jan 26, 2014
Do not update a BIOS only because there is a new version, check what change and if you really need it
If your computer run fine, dont' do it

Updating a BIOS is risky

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
what's the update available for ur motherboard? is there any update available like improving performance issues & stability ? are u facing any problem & u think the update available will solve ur problem? If so then use the BIOS updater utility which comes inbulit with ur motherboard cd & try to download the BIOS ROM file from net. If ur BIOS update utility can't contact to server for download then u need to manually download the BIOS update Rom file from manufacture site. But first i advice u to backup ur BIOS current ROM file & don't try to update BIOS from internet. Then select the latest BIOS ROM file & hit for update, it will not take more then 3-5 minutes depending on ur motherboard. If u using laptop then u don't need to fear powerloss also use backup power supply in case u r updating ur BIOS & power lost accidentally. I updated my BIOS recently, was facing LAN performance issue & it's fixed by BIOS update & it only takes 3-4 minutes to update . Just remember if u using BIOS updater utility then after restart change ur BOOT option to hard disk :)

Reactions: Venustus

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
God- you guys are REALLY paranoid about BIOS updates! Regarding recovery from a blown flash there are a number of relatively easy ways to do it.

1). Some Motherboards will save a copy of the current BIOS in the CMOS chip at the initiation of the update routine. If the flash is blown for whatever reason the motherboard will detect the lack of a viable BIOS and on boot will default into a menu where you can immediately get back t the old BIOS.

2). If you have an Intel Board most have a BIOS reset jumper, which when reset will restore the BIOS to factory default.

3). A tried and true way if the above fail is to just remove the CMOS battery and drain the system of power. To do this all one does is unplug the power to the computer, remove the CMOS battery, hold the power button on for about 30 seconds discharge any remaining power stored in the capacitors. This will also wipe the CMOS memory which on reboot will go back to factory default.

4). If ALL the above fail you can always contact the make to get a new CMOS, but with any motherboard produced in the last few years it is very likely not getting to this point (and if your MB is older you need a new board anyway).

And keep this in mind concerning flashing a BIOS- a Girl can do it.

D

Deleted member 178

that is not the difficulty to reflash the BIOS that worry me, but the fact that i have to open my laptop to do it :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.