Advice Request Should Microsoft Copy Google and Launch an Edge Browser Ad Blocker?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreddyFreeloader

Level 32
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 23, 2013
Rumor has it that Google might be working on developing its very on ad blocker for Chrome browser, and although at first glance this doesn’t make any sense since Google itself is making a fortune out of ads, it all comes down to a very complex strategy that makes the search giant the big winner of this.

In just a few words, Google Chrome’s new built-in ad-blocker could allow the Mountain View-based company to stop paying companies like Adblock Plus for whitelisting its ads, while at the same time offering users an advanced solution to benefit from a clean browsing experience.

Only the most annoying ads would be blocked, according to existing speculation, and with Chrome holding a 60 percent market share on the PC, more than half of the users out there would at least give this ad blocker a try.

Microsoft Edge and the ad blockers
Microsoft Edge is one of the newest names in the browser wars, as Microsoft replaced Internet Explorer with a new browser in Windows 10 in an attempt to provide users with a more advanced solution that’s integrated by default into the operating system.

Adoption of Edge, however, is stagnating, partially due to the fact that the browser is only available in Windows 10, and new features are only delivered with big OS releases, which typically arrive twice every year.

Until now, however, Microsoft has ignored one of the top requests for Edge: a built-in ad blocker that would help provide a cleaner browsing experience. While ad blockers are already available on Edge as third-party extensions, just like they are on Chrome, users are requesting a built-in solution that wouldn’t affect system performance or browsing speed, which is exactly what Google is aiming for with its new solution.

Should Microsoft follow in Google’s footsteps and introduce an ad blocker in Edge browser? Probably, especially because in addition to offering innovating features, like web annotations and Cortana integration, Microsoft also needs to provide users with the essential tools that are already available on rival browsers.

And unfortunately, some of these features are still missing, though it’s hard to find a reason for this. For example, a dedicated full-screen mode is not yet implemented in Edge and there’s a good chance it won’t land until the Redstone 3 OS update lands in the fall.

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
I would say no.
They would better invest their time offering a better extension store and a better framework to create extensions for it. There are so many good adblockers out there now, so they should simply add and support these extensions to their store. On the other hand, competition in the adblocking would be good for all companies, but there are other things that need more time for edge now imho.

Hadden

Level 2
Verified
Oct 18, 2015
Probably not.
I suppose it would work in "acceptable ads" way allowing partners ads - like probably opera adblocker does.
User has not choice in this way, and there are already good and light ad blocker as addons.
If the built-in solution works with known lists and blacklisting/whitelisting should be fine, then.

Reactions: Deletedmessiah
F

ForgottenSeer 19494

Really? I imo they are one of the worst kind of ads. Most of the time they are sexually suggestive, or selling a pill to lose fat, and the worst part they are part of the web page.
For me it suggests good articles or maybe some games. I haven't seen anything explicit from them. Usually they are after the article and sometimes it has good hits suggesting some things in relation to the article. Google's ads are more intrusive in my opinion.

Malware Person

Level 4
Verified
Jun 8, 2016
Microsoft should include one. It would reduce the need and hassle of reinstalling an adblocker every time you reset windows, get a new computer, etc. It would also attract more people to use Edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.