App Review Should You Be Worried About Ransomware?

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
As we know ransomware (especially Cerber and Locky, the two most common ransomware types currently) are more commonly spread by maladvertising via exploit kits (the most common vectors being Java and Shockwave/Flash) which means that a person does not have to click on anything to get infected by the malware- the script politely will run the malware executable for you (isn't that nice!). Point being that stating not to click an executable and you are safe isn't very true currently.

And, Oh Yeah- it's not user error if an Ad network sells infected advertising to unsuspecting websites; maybe it is time to cast blame in other directions than an innocent user.

L

Lucent Warrior

IMO his number 2 "Create external back ups often" is not only common sense, but a failsafe that should be part of everyone's Preventive maintenance they should be employing. If it is backed up, you lose nothing but time repairing the machine "in most cases".

I keep nothing personal on my system, except for when im using it at that moment. For example, if i took my camera out for a shoot, and come home with 200 pictures, they will get uploaded to my computer, and immediately after doing so, i weed out what photos i do not want to keep, and then make copies to place on one of my many flashdrives. Now i will use the originals on the system to edit and upload ect, and then delete them from the system.

Basically, i keep nothing on my system i can lose if something were to happen like Ransomware, or even hardware failure.

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
As we know ransomware (especially Cerber and Locky, the two most common ransomware types currently) are more commonly spread by maladvertising via exploit kits (the most common vectors being Java and Shockwave/Flash) which means that a person does not have to click on anything to get infected by the malware- the script politely will run the malware executable for you (isn't that nice!). Point being that stating not to click an executable and you are safe isn't very true currently.

And, Oh Yeah- it's not user error if an Ad network sells infected advertising to unsuspecting websites; maybe it is time to cast blame in other directions than an innocent user.

Yes good input sister. I was wondering about how it can infect without clicking anything.

I do think my brother got his from the flash player a few years ago, freaked him out, but I had a feeling something was fake, so I did research and boom, it was a ransomware. I didn't know they existed to be honest until it was on the laptop, but got it working normal again soon, thanks to Malware1. (My first weeks at MT came in handy)

H

hjlbx

I would be remiss if I did not point out that leaving an external drive connected to system and get hit by an external drives encrypting ransomware - you're beat !

Disconnect all external drives while not in active use or use a utility to deny read\write access (have to disconnect\reconnect drive to enforce policy changes - so people won't use it because it is "inconvenient"... LOL I guess you like your valuable data scrambled).

L

Lucent Warrior

I would be remiss if I did not point out that leaving an external drive connected to system and get hit by an external drives encrypting ransomware - you're beat !

Disconnect all external drives while not in active use or use a utility to deny read\write access (have to disconnect\reconnect drive to enforce policy changes - so people won't use it because it is "inconvenient"... LOL I guess you like your valuable data scrambled).
Thats it, im going to take my computer into tha backyard right now and fill it with 45 hollow points and be done with it, then no one is going to mess with my stuff ;) :D

Seriously though, you are correct and users should not leave their external drives plugged in all the time, i mean really, who does that ;) :D

H

hjlbx

i don't agree what softwares Britec09 recommend. I will recommend : SecureAPlus free,Voodoo Shield free and Comodo firewall free.

VS won't protect against a browser exploit that abuses whitelisted Windows processes to bypass application whitelisting. A ransomware *.tmp will inherit whitelist status from the trusted Windows process run sequence and run unrestricted...

XxX Legolas XxX

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Sep 20, 2016
VS won't protect against a browser exploit that abuses whitelisted Windows processes to bypass application whitelisting. A ransomware *.tmp will inherit whitelist status from the trusted Windows process run sequence and run unrestricted...
i don't know about that.This is only for Voodoo or for all softwares I recommend?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Definitely you should worried on ransomware especially when you do not have any backup.

Number one thing is provide backup software no matter what circumstances; this will build practicality solution rather reformat all the time, at least your data can be accessible.

When we say common sense, people must have proper knowledge against those intrusive scenarios.

Reactions: shukla44

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
will NVT ERP protect against it? Let's assume for the sake of argument that you haven't whitelisted any parent processes.

Reactions: DardiM
H

hjlbx

will NVT ERP protect against it? Let's assume for the sake of argument that you haven't whitelisted any parent processes.

You have to have processes whitelisted, otherwise every time the process executes you will get an alert. That will amount to hundreds of alerts during a user session.

It was reported to Andreas, but he has been busy with other projects so I don't know what he decided to do.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
You have to have processes whitelisted, otherwise every time the process executes you will get an alert. That will amount to hundreds of alerts during a user session.

It was reported to Andreas, but he has been busy with other projects so I don't know what he decided to do.
in most known browser exploits, the abused process is on the default vulnerable processes list, in which case you should get a prompt from ERP in any case. Is this not true?

H

hjlbx

in most known browser exploits, the abused process is on the default vulnerable processes list, in which case you should get a prompt from ERP in any case. Is this not true?

The default vulnerable process list is kinda small - but you are correct. There are other processes that I would add to that list. There is a Vulnerable Process thread here at MT with a downloadable *.xls.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
The default vulnerable process list is kinda small - but you are correct. There are other processes that I would add to that list. There is a Vulnerable Process thread here at MT with a downloadable *.xls.
VS prompts for powershell and cscript and wscript, when browser is active. So VS should protect from the most widespread browser exploits.

Reactions: askmark

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.