Should you setup password on your (offline) Windows Account even if you have BitLocker on?

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Assuming that computer is not shared/only shared with trustworthy people.

Good question.

I don't see why.

With the laptop I use that employs Bitlocker, one has to enter the Bitlocker password initially and then.... the Windows system password.

Unless one is concerned that Bitlocker will be bypassed in one way or another which is unlikely in the current version of Bitlocker, the 2nd password becomes redundant.

And if somebody had the skill to get through Bitlocker somehow, the bypass for the Windows password is relatively easy.

L

Local Host

You shouldn't bother with Bitlocker for personal/home usage, there's a reason Microsoft doesn't include it in the Home Edition.

Unless you talking of a laptop, and as Burrito said, the Windows Account Password itself is pretty much useless and easy to remove/change.

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
What happens when you "lock" your PC to step away for a bit? Without a PWD, you cannot "lock" ... correct? Or maybe you leave the house while a major cloud sync is happening... do you leave the PC accessible? And who is "trustworthy"?

Yes, you can use autologin, but you must have a password to lock the account manually.

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
I don't have a password on my standard user account, but I do on my admin account which are separate. Just to prevent any unwanted/unintended elevation of privileges. If your device stays at home all the time then your door lock is your hardware-backed password. :D :emoji_v:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.