Expired Silver Key - lifetime license

Disclaimer: We cannot guarantee that all promo codes will remain active. Some offers have a short validation period and expire.

Sundaram999

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2014
Last edited by a moderator:

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
Never heard of this program, so took up the offer, downloaded, installed and so far I'm impressed. Seems like a nice little encryption tool with some unique features.
Thanks for sharing this giveaway.

Dark Knight

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Beware of software that advertise "Lifetime License" , that lifetime license is only version specific, meaning the next major version change you will no longer be able to update that software without paying for it. So your "Lifetime License" is not really a lifetime license.

With giveaways it really doesn't matter, nothing lost, nothing gained. But when your paying for software it does, I found this out the hard way with both WinRAR and Acronis, both advertise lifetime licenses but in all reality those lifetime licenses are version specific, the license stays activated for a lifetime but you cannot update the software outside the major version number that you purchased which in my mind is not a TRUE lifetime license, I have other software with lifetime licenses that I have been updating for years all through major version changes, THAT is a lifetime license.

I purchased a lifetime license to Acronis 2016 a little over a month prior to the release of 2017 which I did not anticipate being released so early in the year, so I tried to get them to give me the upgrade to 2017 and the bastards over at Acronis pretty much told me tough sh!t.

BTW, Kryptel makes very good software, as far as giveaways go, this is a goodie!

Last edited:

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
pBeware of software that advertise "Lifetime License" , that lifetime license is only version specific, meaning the next major version change you will no longer be able to update that software without paying for it. So your "Lifetime License" is not really a lifetime license.

With giveaways it really doesn't matter, nothing lost, nothing gained. But when your paying for software it does, I found this out the hard way with both WinRAR and Acronis, both advertise lifetime licenses but in all reality those lifetime licenses are version specific, the license stays activated for a lifetime but you cannot update the software outside the major version number that you purchased which in my mind is not a TRUE lifetime license, I have other software with lifetime licenses that I have been updating for years all through major version changes, THAT is a lifetime license.

I bought a WinRAR license way back in in 2003. Recently I couldn't find my license key so I emailed them a copy of my invoice and they sent me a new key which I used to activate the latest version. As far as I can remember the original key always worked with the latest version available on their site.

Dark Knight

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
I bought a WinRAR license way back in in 2003. Recently I couldn't find my license key so I emailed them a copy of my invoice and they sent me a new key which I used to activate the latest version. As far as I can remember the original key always worked with the latest version available on their site.

That may hold true with older WinRAR licenses but not anymore, I argued with them for over two weeks when they went from version 5.3 to 5.4, they said my "lifetime" license was only version specific to 5.3 and if I wanted to upgrade to 5.4 I would have to purchase a new license, so f#$kem now I use the Alexander Roshal crack that I had been using for years up until I actually bought a license, it's worked since version 3 and keeps on working. They will never get another penny out of me.

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
That may hold true with older WinRAR licenses but not anymore, I argued with them for over two weeks when they went from version 5.3 to 5.4, they said my "lifetime" license was only version specific to 5.3 and if I wanted to upgrade to 5.4 I would have to purchase a new license, so f#$kem now I use the Alexander Roshal crack that I had been using for years up until I actually bought a license, it's worked since version 3 and keeps on working. They will never get another penny out of me.
I've obviously been very lucky with my 'lifetime' purchases because I've always been able to upgrade to the latest version.

I'm sorry to hear that your experiences have not been as positive as mine. I would however like to thank you for posting your bad experiences here as it will make me more vigilant when makingfuture software purchases: I will definitely read the small-print/terms and conditions very carefully!

BCHatesMalware

Level 2
Verified
Dec 5, 2013
They (WinRAR/RAR LAbs) does have a maintenance agreement that you can purchase that will allow you to update to whatever new version within a year period, and it is very inexpensive (Under $5.00 a year). Just a thought. And yes, the Licenses are version-specific, but the Maintenance will take care of you for a year. :)

Ana_Filiz

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Aug 23, 2016
Beware of software that advertise "Lifetime License" , that lifetime license is only version specific, meaning the next major version change you will no longer be able to update that software without paying for it. So your "Lifetime License" is not really a lifetime license.

I purchased a lifetime license to Acronis 2016 a little over a month prior to the release of 2017 which I did not anticipate being released so early in the year, so I tried to get them to give me the upgrade to 2017 and the bastards over at Acronis pretty much told me tough sh!t.

BTW, Kryptel makes very good software, as far as giveaways go, this is a goodie!

True, you have to be careful with WinRar, their policy is very tricky. Acronis instead have the year mentioned in the name so at least is not so tricky. They are unfair at least if they don't mention the release of the new version.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sundaram999

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.