Operating system
Windows 10
Log-in security
Security updates
Allow security updates and latest features
User Access Control
Always notify
Real-time security
  • Microsoft Defender (tweaked settings via Configure-Defender)
  • Hard_Configurator (Recommended Settings)
Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
About custom security
Microsoft Defender Settings:
  • Block At First Sight: enabled
  • Network Protection: enabled
  • Controlled Folder Access: enabled
Periodic malware scanners
HitmanPro, Norton Power Eraser, AdwCleaner
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Edge: AdGuard, LastPass
Firefox: AdGuard, LastPass
Brave: LastPass, MDBP
Maintenance tools
Shadow Defender, Revo Uninstaller, Process Explorer, Autoruns, Bandizip, VLC-player
File and Photo backup
Macrium Reflect Free
System recovery
Macrium Reflect Free
Risk factors
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
Computer specs
ASUS VivoBook 17
Intel Core i5-8250U
Intel UHD Graphics 620
8GB RAM
256GB SSD

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Good config, of course :D
Wondering about AdGuard vs uBlock Origin.
At the moment I find uBlock Origin working better, more adds blocked and fewer adblocker warnings.
Have you tried uBlock Origin recently?
I always like to switch between Adguard & uBlock Origin :D
Agree, uBlock Origin shows rarely any adblocker warnings even to me, but Adguard offers Google-Safe-Browsing, so that's what I prefer currently...

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Such a simple config is pretty enough and there's not much to add to a setup of a very experienced person :)
Malwarebytes Windows Firewall Control could be helpful for easy management of WF rules w/ or w/o alerts.
Also, I find Netcraft extension very useful when trusting sites ... visiting new ones.
KSC goes quite light after setting to 'Scan on execution' now.

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Such a simple config is pretty enough and there's not much to add to a setup of a very experienced person :)
Malwarebytes Windows Firewall Control could be helpful for easy management of WF rules w/ or w/o alerts.
Also, I find Netcraft extension very useful when trusting sites ... visiting new ones.
KSC goes quite light after setting to 'Scan on execution' now.
I will trying out MWFC soon when it's boring next time, but I want to avoid any performance issues/system impact...

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Any kind of HTTPS scanning slows down page loading for me but unlike me it's probably not much noticeable for who has better, faster internet connection.
I never considered security extensions/https scanning being negated by faster speeds. Maybe why I see little difference in my desktop. For laptops on slow WiFi it’s probably killer!

Last edited:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I never considered security extensions/https scanning being negated by faster speeds. Maybe why I see little difference in my desktop. For laptops on slow WiFi it’s probably killer!
Let's assume there's no extensions installed. When you try to visit a website, the communication is happening between your browser and the web server. But when an AV is doing HTTPS scanning it's a middle man between your browser and website and it scans all the contents that are passing from the server to the browser to the local cache on your hard drive and ram. So certain amount of delay is obvious. Similar to a PC's performance with and without an AV. The faster an AV can scan the HTTPS contents the less the delay should be, right?
But, I was wondering if the configuration of a PC also comes into play here since it happens locally :unsure:

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Nice addition. Did you create rules for LOLbins in the firewall?
Nope, I haven't trying out much to block for now, but TinyWall probably blocks the most LOLbins by default, only a few connections of svchost.exe are necessary to be allowed like settings by default:

tw.png

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.