Simple, Yet Effective, AV Solution

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
I have another PC that I don't use much. I want a free program that is light, wicked, free, and not tedious.

Avira? Zonealarm? Bullguard?
I am not concerned with HIPS, BB, sandboxing on this particular PC.

Give me some suggestions and hypotheses.

Thanks.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Avira and MSE comes to mind.

imsoadude

Level 3
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
I would have to say MSE, Earth recommended it to me before because you could install and forget and it seems to do exactly that

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
MSE isn't near as light as avast which would be my pick and @ default settings...v8 looks really nice too!

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
MSE isn't near as light as avast

You sure about that?

I am open to Avast, for sure, but I hate how you have to re-register it every year. When Avast's time is up on the other two PC's, I will look into Avira Free with factory settings.

It won't matter if it is a RAM hog on this particular PC. Light is good. That is what I am looking for.

MSE would make sense. I usually only use this PC for email and printing said email. I don't open spam either.
I only use it once or twice a week for about 30 minutes or so.

DrBeenGolfing

Level 1
Verified
Mar 16, 2013
Check the performance test charts on AV Test, AV Comparatives---MSE is right behind Webroot and no antivirus in lightness and not slowing down your OS. It also takes up a lot less space in memory than previous versions.

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
Gnosis, big problem here. The words effective and antivirus just don't mix,IMO. I am tempted to say MSE but unfortunately, I know that in a matter of time, that computer will get infected, no difference if using any other antivirus on its own to protect it.

Bo

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
Gnosis said:
MSE isn't near as light as avast

You sure about that?

I am open to Avast, for sure, but I hate how you have to re-register it every year. When Avast's time is up on the other two PC's, I will look into Avira Free with factory settings.

It won't matter if it is a RAM hog on this particular PC. Light is good. That is what I am looking for.

MSE would make sense. I usually only use this PC for email and printing said email. I don't open spam either.
I only use it once or twice a week for about 30 minutes or so.

I'll just say it's lighter and runs better on my pc's, but i'm pretty sure it uses more ram than avast

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
MSE, Avira and Avast are known for recommendation on free and simple AV since components that are imposible in paid have integrated it.

Or if you want light footprint then go for Cloud AV's like Panda Cloud, Bitdefender Free and others.

MrExplorer

Level 28
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
Use
Windows Defender + Windows Firewall.
OR
Avira Free Antivirus
OR
Comodo Internet Security v6

I

illumination

I have CAV "Comodo Anti-Virus" on my older single core laptop, i use it for light gaming, and have not had any issues/annoyances. No slow down felt, no lagging with games,ect. This would be my personal choice over the ones mentioned so far in this thread, for a light AV.

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
I am leaning toward Avira and Comodo right now.
I have already used Avira in the past, so maybe I will try Comodo. Maybe I will go on and get the suite just to try it out.
I am looking for security for two of my older friends that are inexperienced users. While I would usually choose Avast, I don't want them to have to re-register it, so I am thinking along the lines of BullGuard, ZoneAlarm, or CIS.
Hmmm. Would any of those three be ok for inexperienced users as long as I left them at factory default and used gaming mode??? How about CIS? (free, I assume)

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Gnosis said:
I am leaning toward Avira and Comodo right now.
I have already used Avira in the past, so maybe I will try Comodo. Maybe I will go on and get the suite just to try it out.
I am looking for security for two of my older friends that are inexperienced users. While I would usually choose Avast, I don't want them to have to re-register it, so I am thinking along the lines of BullGuard, ZoneAlarm, or CIS.
Hmmm. Would any of those three be ok for inexperienced users as long as I left them at factory default and used gaming mode??? How about CIS? (free, I assume)

CIS 6 is very good on default settings although the GUI takes a little getting used to.

I can hook you up with some 6 month Avira Premium Security Suite and or Avira Antivirus premium licenses if you want to try them out.

House_maniac

Level 1
Sep 21, 2011
CIS 6 is good as hips is ticked off by default its not off like they mentioned but the bb won't disturb your friends :D

Akash209

Verified
Feb 11, 2013
simply go with Avira Internet Security 2013.. Effective, best, and worry free...

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
For the Defense + for CIS, it became lesser pop ups since more whitelists are included and there's an option to not show pop ups alerts with the option like allow request or deny request, if you want the action automatically but its been of by default since no user interaction is needed when ticked on.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.